Brandon Parga - SG - Citrus College - Los Angeles, CA - IONA

• 119 replies

Moose

Brandon Parga - SG - Citrus College - Los Angeles, CA - IONA
« on: February 02, 2012, 01:56:55 PM »
https://twitter.com/#!/JucoRecruiting/status/165141854524944384

St. John's watched Brandon Parga (6'4/SG/2012) of Citrus College (CA) last night. Hawaii and Boston College also interested

« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 02:23:58 PM by STJ11Redmen »
Remember who broke the Slice news

kjd01067

Re: Brandon Parga - SG - Citrus College - Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 02:10:10 PM »
Maybe Steve is reading the site and heard we want a shooter on the end of the bench

NYCoffey

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 03:38:57 PM »
Mainman on redmen posted his stats to date from this year.

So far this year:

Brandon Parga, Citrus
18 games
115-224 FGs 51.3%
39-82 3pt FGs 47.6%
83-96 FTs 86.5%
352 pts total
19.5 ppg

Definitely fits the bill of a shooter.

Marillac

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 04:11:06 PM »
Pure shot for sure....good size and fundamentals.  Creating space will be difficult at this level with his limited athletic ability, though. 

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 05:06:06 PM »
Better than Severe?

sju89tr

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 05:07:48 PM »
I will go check him out as it is very close to my home where he plays, I will try to get some video. 

Moose

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 05:09:16 PM »
Better than Severe?

Severe is 13 and a 4 year scholarship whereas this kid would be 2 years.  So yes.  I would say better than Severe.  Pretty sure Severe isn't as tall either.

LJSA

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 05:22:28 PM »
Pure shot for sure....good size and fundamentals.  Creating space will be difficult at this level with his limited athletic ability, though. 

Leaving much more time for Phil as third guard, but still giving us the flexibility to get a shooter in there when we really need one. It actually seems like a well thought out plan to me.

Marillac

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 10:56:19 PM »

Leaving much more time for Phil as third guard, but still giving us the flexibility to get a shooter in there when we really need one. It actually seems like a well thought out plan to me.

I'd add him in a heartbeat if for nothing else than practice.  Our zone has been destroyed by smart passing teams with good shooters.  A 47% shooter will highlight every mistake the defense makes in practice.  Athletic or not, he will get some wide open looks if he just plants his feet in the corner and lets defenses key on Harrison and waits for passes from Mo and company off of offensive boards.  I like the high IQ comments.  I also like the fact that he has two years of college experience and he'll help balance out the scholarship distribution.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 10:56:58 PM by Marillac »

ras

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 10:57:05 PM »
I ve said many times not all recruits have to be 4 star. We need a deeper bench so we dont get an ulcer everytime someone twists an ankle ar gets in foul trouble.. He seems seems to fit our needs as a good backup.

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 11:05:26 PM »
If it's up to me, sign him up.

MCNPA

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 11:14:52 PM »

At this level, it takes good fundamentals to make space, not just athleticism.  Larry bird wasnt a great athlete, but made plenty of space to shoot.  Guys can separate with just a screen and a step in one direction off a pump-fake.  Making space has a lot to do with the offense itself and creativity of the player. 

Moose

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 11:17:57 PM »

At this level, it takes good fundamentals to make space, not just athleticism.  Larry bird wasnt a great athlete, but made plenty of space to shoot.  Guys can separate with just a screen and a step in one direction off a pump-fake.  Making space has a lot to do with the offense itself and creativity of the player. 

Too many 'limited athletes' have torched us in the last 10 yrs.  Athleticism is overrated.

ras

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 11:20:07 PM »
Mullin was not overly athletic.

desco80

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 11:28:58 PM »
This is fantastic!   Now let's get some commitments.   

MCNPA

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 11:36:01 PM »
Mullin was not overly athletic.

Exactly.  Neither was Adam Morrison, Bootsy and tonmof other guys.  He doesn't look like a bad athlete at all.  A pure shooter is great on a team full of gazelles.  He just has to be in the right spots and let loose his shot.

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2012, 12:43:03 AM »
I have a good friend who is very close to Brandon Parga.  He was out of shape in high school but can shoot the lights out.  6'4" and has gotten in better shape since high school.  Smart kid too, was recruited by and almost went to Columbia but ended up missing the academic requirements for the Ivies.  Would have gotten more looks if he was more athletic.  My friend watched St. John's closely and told me that he thinks he would fit great on our squad.

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2012, 12:55:14 AM »
OK I have some news regarding Parga.  He is currently being recruited by 15 schools, no offers yet, all D1.  He did not realize St. John's was at any of his prior games but he is talking to Steve Lavin tomorrow.  He had 21 points and 7 rebounds in the game where we watched him.