Brandon Parga - SG - Citrus College - Los Angeles, CA - IONA

• 119 replies

ras

Re: Brandon Parga - SG - Citrus College - Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2012, 05:34:47 PM »
The odds are he s not going to be a star, but he could be a contibuter. Having another consistant 3 point shooter is something we could use.

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2012, 05:56:34 PM »
It's also worth noting that the guy who recruited him to Citrus, Rick Croy, left after his redshirt year to become an assistant at St. Mary's.

Sounds like he's got deep deep ties to St. Mary's. If we want him, we are going to have to hope he wants to play at the highest level. Also as pointed out, he was interested in Columbia so coming to NY may be attractive.

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2012, 06:00:09 PM »
It's also worth noting that the guy who recruited him to Citrus, Rick Croy, left after his redshirt year to become an assistant at St. Mary's.

Sounds like he's got deep deep ties to St. Mary's. If we want him, we are going to have to hope he wants to play at the highest level. Also as pointed out, he was interested in Columbia so coming to NY may be attractive.

Columbia is coached by former St. Mary assistant Kyle Smith.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2012, 06:05:17 PM »
I wouldn't put too much stake in the Columbia/St. John's New York connection.  He didn't have much interest from D1 schools coming out of high school so obviously he would be interested in anyone who wanted him.

sju89tr

« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2012, 07:29:15 PM »
St. Marys is in a great location but it's as different from NYC as anything can be. He sounds like a kid who would be better for St. Mary's than St Johns. We can't offer much in terms of playing time.   

« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2012, 01:03:56 AM »
Parga is surprised that a big-time program is after him.  This bodes well for us.

gman

« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2012, 01:39:28 AM »
Parga is surprised that a big-time program is after him.  This bodes well for us.

So he doesn't think he is a big time player?

« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2012, 01:54:51 AM »

I don't know what type of player he thinks he is.  All I know is that he is shocked and excited that a big school is talking to him in a serious manner.  He has only received serious attention from small schools thus far.

« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2012, 09:06:11 AM »

I don't know what type of player he thinks he is.  All I know is that he is shocked and excited that a big school is talking to him in a serious manner.  He has only received serious attention from small schools thus far.

He looks like he would have been capable of making a few open threes against that syracuse zone today. We need more shooters opposite Harrison. No problem bringing this kid in

Moose

« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2012, 11:33:45 AM »

Yesterday really got to you, huh?
Remember who broke the Slice news

gman

« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2012, 07:37:22 PM »

Yesterday really got to you, huh?

The staff must see something he doesn't see in himself. If they like him I trust them

« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2012, 09:06:13 AM »
Kid shoots over 50% from the floor, nearly 50% from 3 and almost 90% from the line.  Good student and deadeye shooter.  Sounds like a kid to take a flyer on if he's a good enough athlete to play at this level.  Not much harm and at worst case scenario, we have him at the end of our bench for 2 years to bring in late in games to go to the line with D'Lo.  Not much to lose if he's a reasonably good prospect per the coaches opinions.  I've seen enough unknown and unathletic shooters that have killed us over the years at other schools.
And if he can hit threes from NBA distance, that'll create enough spacing by spreading the floor that little bit extra - and make entry passes into the bigs easier as well.

« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2012, 11:22:04 AM »
This is just the kind of kid we need.  Lavin's nuts if he passes.  Screw all the athleticsm nonsense.  Harrison ain't Michael Jordan and look what he does.  It's basketball, not a track meet.

NYCoffey

« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2012, 03:41:57 PM »
Parga (6’4/200/SO) is one of the best unsigned shooters in the JUCO ranks and has seen his stock consistently rise throughout the season. He is averaging 19 points and 5 rebounds per game this season. Parga is shooting 51% from the field and 49% from beyond the arc. He is shooting 88% from the free throw line with 120 attempts on the year. Parga is being recruited by Boston College, Hawaii, Wyoming, Texas State, St. Johns, TCU and Gardner-Webb.

http://www.jucorecruiting.com/?p=1171

« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2012, 01:44:52 AM »
This is just the kind of kid we need.  Lavin's nuts if he passes.  Screw all the athleticsm nonsense.  Harrison ain't Michael Jordan and look what he does.  It's basketball, not a track meet.

I agree.  Get this guy asap. Shooting has become a lost art in basketball today, athleticism trumps all. We have athletes(hopefully they stay), now grab some nice roll players.

Marillac

« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2012, 01:49:36 AM »

I agree.  Get this guy asap. Shooting has become a lost art in basketball today, athleticism trumps all. We have athletes(hopefully they stay), now grab some nice roll players.

I like his step-up midrange too.  I think he could be a nice tool to bring off the bench.  Lav should get this kid on campus to see how he can handle the elite athleticism of guys like Pointer and Garret.  If his IQ is as high as the reports have indicated, he could be very effective creating space for others, making smart passes, and getting open looks from three or from midrange after a shot-fake.

ris

« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2012, 05:47:51 AM »

Parga is being recruited by Boston College, Hawaii, Wyoming, Texas State, St. Johns, TCU and Gardner-Webb.

I´m not very impressive with this list.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 05:49:01 AM by ris »

Moose

« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2012, 05:59:55 AM »

Parga is being recruited by Boston College, Hawaii, Wyoming, Texas State, St. Johns, TCU and Gardner-Webb.

Do you want a shooter?
Then show me another shooter.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2012, 06:02:11 AM »

Im not very impressive either. He can put it in the basket, hes eligible. Sign us up. We got plenty of room

MCNPA

« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2012, 07:36:21 AM »

Im not very impressive either. He can put it in the basket, hes eligible. Sign us up. We got plenty of room

We have only 6 scholarship players entering next season. I have no problem signing arguably the bet shooter in JC.   We need capable kids and have plenty of space for a JC that can torch the nets.  We need quite a few guys.  This kid looked pretty good, had great numbers and is starting to attract attention from good programs.  Like I said, if the St marys coach has been all over him, it's good enough for me.