« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2012, 06:55:56 PM »
Could parga be Dwight Hardy 2.0?
offf the bench that is? :o

Marillac

Re: Brandon Parga - SG - Citrus College - Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2012, 07:09:32 PM »

Doesn't look like the same type of player.  Maybe he can be something like Bootsy, though.  I'd take half of the player Bootsy was. 

« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2012, 11:49:23 PM »

Doesn't look like the same type of player.  Maybe he can be something like Bootsy, though.  I'd take half of the player Bootsy was.
I'd take a Bootsy type in a second exactly what this team could use :up:

MCNPA

« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2012, 12:00:59 AM »
I haven't really seen enough of the kid.  In those clips though he looks smooth and can hit shots at different ranges.  Never have enough jump shooters.  Seems to have good height and build.  We need players and especially shooting ability.  JC players are a low risk proposition to fill holes in the roster and no matter which freshmen we sign, we wil have room for at least a JUCO or two.  We have 7 ships so could easily land 3-4 freshmen and a JC or two and have room for 2013 class.  I'll let the staff make the talent decisions, but I'd like to see our team shooting ability collectively improve, whether this kid is coming off the bench or getting serious minutes.

Poison

« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2012, 12:10:07 AM »
In the last ten years our 3 best players were Hatten, Hardy and Brownlee.

Jucos are fine with me. I'll take a Juco over an overhyped prep kid that thinks he's God.

MCNPA

« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2012, 12:15:33 AM »
In the last ten years our 3 best players were Hatten, Hardy and Brownlee.

Jucos are fine with me. I'll take a Juco over an overhyped prep kid that thinks he's God.

Agree.  Plus before that Bootsy was excellent and Gift is performing quite well for a JC player who's really playing on an island for us this year.

Marillac

« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2012, 09:45:47 AM »
I learned yesterday of Lavin's connection to Parga. Lavin's first assistant at UCLA, Jim Saia, coached at Parga's school, Citrus College, a few years ago--as did Saia's current first assistant at Fresno Pacific. Saia has a good relationship with Citrus and still actively recruits the school, landing a player just last year. He tipped Lav off to Parga.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 09:47:36 AM by Marillac »

« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2012, 10:23:52 AM »
I learned yesterday of Lavin's connection to Parga. Lavin's first assistant at UCLA, Jim Saia, coached at Parga's school, Citrus College, a few years ago--as did Saia's current first assistant at Fresno Pacific. Saia has a good relationship with Citrus and still actively recruits the school, landing a player just last year. He tipped Lav off to Parga.
great news find marillac

Marillac

« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2012, 02:58:34 PM »
Parga went for 17 points and 5 boards with Lavin in attendance...only 1-4 from the line , though.  James Walker, the reigning conference player of the month and Parga's teammate, went for 23 and 8 assists, on 10-13 shooting (2-4 from deep).  Just me speculating, but I think Lav offered both after the game, because he posted shortly after that eye was going to sign 5 more players this spring.  Walker can play both guard spots and played 10 mpg last year for 30-4 #19 in the country Utah St.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 03:00:24 PM by Marillac »

crgreen

« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2012, 03:31:51 PM »

Jim Saia is the former head coach at U$C.   He's also the reason for the "Lavin sucked because he only hired his buddies as assistants" bull feathers.   Saia and Lavs were friends and teammates both in high school and college.

Thing is, Saia wasn't hired by Lavin.  He was hired by Jim Harrick as the replacement for Mark Gottfried, when Gottfried got the HC gig at Alabama in 1996.  That fall, when Harrick was fired, Steve, with the most experience on the staff, was promoted to intermin HC, and the remainder of the staff was retained by AD Pete Dalis.  When they got to the Elite 8 that year (losing only after they lost center Jelani McCoy for the E8 game, DALIS made Steve permanant, AND kept the staff on board.   They promptly reeled in the #2 recruiting class in the country (Baron Davis, Earl Watson, Schea Cotton, Billy Knight, Travis Reed, Rico Hines and Todd Ramasar - 2 top 5 players, 3 top 70 players,1 top 100 player, and the #5 prep school player in the country).  And they followed that the next year with a sweet 16 (out only when Baron tore his ACL in the round of 32 game), and locked in  the #1 Recruiting class in the country - Dan Gadzuric, Jerome Moiso, JaRon rush were all top 10 recuits, whine Ray Young was top 30, and Matt Barnes top 50.  They weren't consensus, but both Gadz and Rush were rated by at least one reputable recruiting service as the #1 recruit in the country.  Gadz, Rush and Young were McD AAs. 

Anyway, just saying Saia is an excellent judge of talent.

To the best of my knowlege, Jim and Steve are still best friends....

Moose

« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2012, 04:37:41 PM »
Parga went for 17 points and 5 boards with Lavin in attendance...only 1-4 from the line , though.  James Walker, the reigning conference player of the month and Parga's teammate, went for 23 and 8 assists, on 10-13 shooting (2-4 from deep).  Just me speculating, but I think Lav offered both after the game, because he posted shortly after that eye was going to sign 5 more players this spring.  Walker can play both guard spots and played 10 mpg last year for 30-4 #19 in the country Utah St.

Pretty certain he didn't offer Parga.
As for the other kid never heard of him so no idea.
Remember who broke the Slice news

ris

« Reply #91 on: February 14, 2012, 06:31:13 AM »
Just me speculating, but I think Lav offered both after the game, because he posted shortly after that eye was going to sign 5 more players this spring.  Walker can play both guard spots and played 10 mpg last year for 30-4 #19 in the country Utah St.

Pretty certain he didn't offer Parga.
As for the other kid never heard of him so no idea.

James Walker is from California, so there are options to offer.

MCNPA

« Reply #92 on: February 14, 2012, 09:40:53 AM »

Parga also played at st John Bosco at one point.  Lavin has deep ties to both mater Dei and St. John Bosco because of Schea Cotton and others. 

Marillac

« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2012, 03:05:19 PM »

Jim Saia is the former head coach at U$C.   He's also the reason for the "Lavin sucked because he only hired his buddies as assistants" bull feathers.   Saia and Lavs were friends and teammates both in high school and college.

Thing is, Saia wasn't hired by Lavin.  He was hired by Jim Harrick as the replacement for Mark Gottfried, when Gottfried got the HC gig at Alabama in 1996.  That fall, when Harrick was fired, Steve, with the most experience on the staff, was promoted to intermin HC, and the remainder of the staff was retained by AD Pete Dalis.  When they got to the Elite 8 that year (losing only after they lost center Jelani McCoy for the E8 game, DALIS made Steve permanant, AND kept the staff on board.   They promptly reeled in the #2 recruiting class in the country (Baron Davis, Earl Watson, Schea Cotton, Billy Knight, Travis Reed, Rico Hines and Todd Ramasar - 2 top 5 players, 3 top 70 players,1 top 100 player, and the #5 prep school player in the country).  And they followed that the next year with a sweet 16 (out only when Baron tore his ACL in the round of 32 game), and locked in  the #1 Recruiting class in the country - Dan Gadzuric, Jerome Moiso, JaRon rush were all top 10 recuits, whine Ray Young was top 30, and Matt Barnes top 50.  They weren't consensus, but both Gadz and Rush were rated by at least one reputable recruiting service as the #1 recruit in the country.  Gadz, Rush and Young were McD AAs. 

Anyway, just saying Saia is an excellent judge of talent.

To the best of my knowlege, Jim and Steve are still best friends....

I was waiting for your response, CR.  Excellent info as always.  Glad to see Saia is a good judge of talen because we could really use another shooter.  Hope you recovery is going well.

sju89tr

« Reply #94 on: February 16, 2012, 09:40:10 AM »
My son and I attended the game last night and saw the family night festivities.

In warmups, Parga probably nailed 45 out of 50 three point shots and a few of them that he missed were knocked away by another basketball hitting his at the rim.

He is a legit 6-5 and has a good build. In terms of footwork, seems a little slow and it was hard to gauge his handle because he rarely drove to the hoop unlike his smaller guard teammates who did little in the way of passing when they got the ball in their hands. A lot of 1 on 1 basketball at Citrus.

Parga had a poor night shooting and was 1-5 in first half (1 layup, 2 missed lay ups, 2 missed 3 pointers). In the second half he hit a jumper and a 3 pointer but missed at least 5-6 open shots.

It could have been nerves due to San Francisco, TCU, and two other schools there at the least. St Mary's may have been in attendance.

You can definitely see this kid can shoot but hard to gauge in this game. He didn't have any hands in his face on the missed jumpers.

I would have liked to see him play in front of the arc more as he usually was stationed in the corners beyond 3 point range.

On defense, he may have some trouble guarding quicker 2's but has long arms.

I was a little disappointed with the results but after thinking about it, a 2 year investment on Parga is definitely worth the gamble. You can teach aggressiveness and defense but can't teach someone to be a pure shooter with size.

As for Walker, the kid is legit PG with some nice size 6-2? He has a great motor and can shoot. Much better than Malik Stith.

« Reply #95 on: February 16, 2012, 04:52:45 PM »

In warmups, Parga probably nailed 45 out of 50 three point shots and a few of them that he missed were knocked away by another basketball hitting his at the rim.

He is a legit 6-5 and has a good build. In terms of footwork, seems a little slow and it was hard to gauge his handle because he rarely drove to the hoop unlike his smaller guard teammates who did little in the way of passing when they got the ball in their hands. A lot of 1 on 1 basketball at Citrus.

Parga had a poor night shooting and was 1-5 in first half (1 layup, 2 missed lay ups, 2 missed 3 pointers). In the second half he hit a jumper and a 3 pointer but missed at least 5-6 open shots.

It could have been nerves due to San Francisco, TCU, and two other schools there at the least. St Mary's may have been in attendance.

You can definitely see this kid can shoot but hard to gauge in this game. He didn't have any hands in his face on the missed jumpers.

I would have liked to see him play in front of the arc more as he usually was stationed in the corners beyond 3 point range.

I was a little disappointed with the results but after thinking about it, a 2 year investment on Parga is definitely worth the gamble. You can teach aggressiveness and defense but can't teach someone to be a pure shooter with size.

As for Walker, the kid is legit PG with some nice size 6-2? He has a great motor and can shoot. Much better than Malik Stith.
Telling us he is much better thab Malik Stith is like telling us he has 2 hands. :)

boo3

« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2012, 04:56:15 PM »

Telling us he is much better thab Malik Stith is like telling us he has 2 hands. :)

Thanks for the scouting report.

Marillac

« Reply #97 on: February 16, 2012, 05:28:01 PM »
Does anyone know if we offered Parga or Walker? 

« Reply #98 on: February 17, 2012, 12:01:23 AM »

So you mean he CAN play at this level, won't be asked to transfer?, Will Be effective amongst players with less college hoop experience, and WON'T quit after the 2nd semester starts for next season? RIGHT! ;)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 12:02:58 AM by illscalpya4000 »

sju89tr

« Reply #99 on: February 17, 2012, 09:29:47 AM »
Walker is a player, not sure how he initially ended up at Southern Utah.