Thaddeus Hall - SG - Thomas Jefferson - Brooklyn, NY - SOUTH CAROLINA

• 244 replies

pmg911

Re: Thaddeus Hall - SG - Thomas Jefferson - Brooklyn, NY
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2012, 07:14:29 AM »
I am sorry but I just don't buy the "they don't get the guidance they need" line.

This information is available to all the kids via the NCAA website and if they have a coach or AAU guy who is looking out for them they should have an idea where they stand as they start their Sophomore school year. The problem is that the coaches don't have the players best interest at heart all the time and just want them academically eligible. They might have their players passing but they might not be passing the right classes and that is the problem. The PSAL has strict grade guidelines and the coaches know that if they have their players in the right core classes and they are struggling academically, they might not be eligible to play during the season.

I am certainly not saying this happens everywhere but its happens a lot.

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2012, 08:04:46 AM »
I am sorry but I just don't buy the "they don't get the guidance they need" line.

I don't disagree with most of your post .  But guidance counselors had no clue about the NCAA standards when I was in school(a long time ago).  What if a kid asks a guidance counselor and gets a wrong answer?  I would say that is not uncommon.  I relied on a counselor in college.  She confidently told me what classes i need to qualify for the CPA exam.  She was wrong.  Luckily I found out from another student before it was too late and I did not have to pay for 3 extra credits. Point is I could see kids relying on counselors and not getting proper help in a public school never mind a private college.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

LJSA

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2012, 12:50:29 PM »
I think the problem is with the education system. Make everyone take four years of English, four years of history, four years of a language, four years of math, and four years of science (it was Earth science, biology, chemistry, and physics for me), and there won't be issues with not having the proper classes. When I was in high school, I had friends at Sewanhaka taking two study halls and gym senior year, and leaving by noon every day. They graduated, but the requirements to do so were a joke.

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2012, 01:05:28 AM »
Good.

What other schools are recruiting him?

Jefferson's Thaddeus Hall has recently picked up offers from Tex Tech, Maryland, SCarolina V Tech, per coach Lawrence Pollard.

https://twitter.com/NYPost_Brazille/status/176864655606685696

paultzman

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2012, 10:41:29 AM »
Nice article

Fordham Recruiting, Marist Recruiting, Maryland Recruiting, Miami Recruiting, North Carolina State Recruiting, Pittsburgh Recruiting, Providence Recruiting, South Carolina Recruiting, St. John's Recruiting, Texas Tech Recruiting, Virginia Tech Recruiting, West Virginia Recruiting

THADDEUS HALL ADDS OFFER FROM ST. JOHN’S; MORE SCHOOLS ON ’12 SCORING MACHINE
March 6, 2012 by NBE Blogger · Leave a Comment 
Thaddeus Hall can score the basketball. Nobody would need to look any further than his second round of the PSAL Class AA playoffs performance last week. The 6-foot-5, 195-lb senior for Thomas Jefferson High School scored 34 first half points to lead his team to to an 86-76 win over Robeson. Hall finished with a career-high 39 points, including six three-pointers, in the contest. Like a true leader, Hall praised his teammates in the aftermath, although he still admitted the first half outburst has been the highlight of his year so far.
“My season is going great,” Hall told NBE. “ can’t believe how much the underclassmen [are] stepping up [and] playing this good. My highlight of the season is scoring 34 in the first half on Paul Roberson [last Wednesday].”
Hall followed up the 39-point explosion with 25 more in Sunday’s win over Wadleigh in the quarterfinals. The back-to-back performances has led to a scholarship offer that has really gotten his attention.

“Yes after the Sunday game I [have] been offered by St. John’s,” Hall said. “I love St. John’s [and] they fit my style of play. They play very hard like me…that’s how they play hungry and hard. It’s a great school and have a nice campus and a great history of players that went to St. John’s.”
The Red Storm are not the only program showing interest. Hall also mentioned to NBE that he is considering schools such as West Virginia, NC State, Providence, Pittsburgh, Marist, Virginia Tech, Miami, Fordham, Texas Tech, Maryland and South Carolina along with St. John’s. He is definitely remaining open to the process and will look to take some visits once the season comes to a conclusion.
“No I have no favorites or leaders at this time,” he said. “I thank I will wait until my season is over [for visits] and I think it will be an unofficial visit for now if I want to take a look somewhere.”
Hall, who spent some time suspended because of academics earlier in the season, is making up for lost time on the court and his recruitment is also catching up with his talent. He will look to make a college decision following the season as he is concentrating on earning a city title right now. While he is a great scorer, Hall will also be looking for a coach that will appreciate him even more for what he does on the other side of the court.
“Most important part of making my decision is if I’m comfortable with the coaching staff and the school,” said Hall. “I’m never worrying about playing time because every coach is gonna play a kid who loves to play defense and make plays, so that’s what I’m gonna do.”
Hall feels his defensive ability and his long-range shooting will allow him to contribute the most early in his future college career. He also feels being a lefty will cause difficulties for the opposing players guarding him.
Thaddeus Hall will certainly be a player to keep an eye on to see if he can make his way onto a Division 1-A roster next season. If he is able to, he could be quite a steal as a late signing period pick-up.

MCNPA

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2012, 10:46:25 AM »
Hope this kid finds a way to qualify this season or even over the summer.  Would be a good situation for him and for us.  I don't know how far he has to go, but sounds like a quality scorer and shooter which we could really use.

Chilleb

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2012, 11:25:28 AM »
This offer scares me. The kid is good but not "That" good. Been watching him since he was at loughlin and always struck me as a mid-major player to potential high level talent but not the type that would make lavin reference his class to "the most impressive yet". I've made a bunch of comparisons on these boards to him but lately he's resembling the forward over at Bridgeton right now, who played with Amir in is8. Can't recall his name right now.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 11:29:07 AM by Chilleb »

Poison

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2012, 11:28:59 AM »
I only have one question: Can he shoot?

Moose

« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2012, 11:30:51 AM »
This offer scares me. The kid is good but not "That" good. Been watching him since he was at loughlin and always struck me as a mid-major player to potential high level talent but not the type that would make lavin reference his class to "the most impressive yet". I've made a bunch of comparisons on these boards to him but lately he's resembling the forward over at Bridgeton right now, who played with Amir in is8. Can't recall his name right now.

Malik Nichols?
Remember who broke the Slice news

Chilleb

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2012, 11:37:18 AM »

Malik Nichols?
Yeah him , just not as long. Nichols had a couple scoring outbursts last year even a 37 point output against harkless, just like hall has the ability to fill it up every now and then but not really that polished all-around.

MCNPA

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2012, 11:40:04 AM »

We just offered Hall, so I doubt that he's one of the kids Lavin was referencing when referring to the stellar recruiting class he's expecting. 

Chilleb

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2012, 11:49:57 AM »

We just offered Hall, so I doubt that he's one of the kids Lavin was referencing when referring to the stellar recruiting class he's expecting.
I hope so because I think there's better "eligible"  talent out there still. Hall suffers from the same syndrome as jermaine Lawrence. We might read a crazy stat line from these guys but we have to be mindful of who it came against. Aside from whitehead and maybe Justin Jenkins and Galan the NYC public league in this day and age is scarce of high level talent. It's a shame.

paultzman

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2012, 11:56:20 AM »
I only have one question: Can he shoot?

Oh yeah!

ras

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2012, 11:58:09 AM »
Lavin better have more up his sleeve then Hall. He aint gonna help us if he doesnt qualify.

TONYD3

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2012, 01:47:45 PM »
how hard is it to qualify? he plays in the psal, so to be eligible he has to have passed his classes.

kjd01067

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2012, 02:04:04 PM »
how hard is it to qualify? he plays in the psal, so to be eligible he has to have passed his classes.

He may have had to pass his classes but he may not be taking the correct classes.  There are core classes required by the NCAA. I don't know the requirements off hand but basically say a student needs to take say 3 sciences, 3 maths, 2 social studies, etc. (those aren't the requirements but you get the picture)  A student could be passing but fail to meet the core by not taking enough math classes.

sju89tr

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2012, 02:34:35 PM »

He may have had to pass his classes but he may not be taking the correct classes.  There are core classes required by the NCAA. I don't know the requirements off hand but basically say a student needs to take say 3 sciences, 3 maths, 2 social studies, etc. (those aren't the requirements but you get the picture)  A student could be passing but fail to meet the core by not taking enough math classes.

You also need to have a GPA in those core classes and based on that a minumum SAT or ACT score based on a sliding scale

ras

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2012, 03:39:12 PM »
From what Ive been reading, it seems there is a good chance he wont qualify.