Marco Bourgault - SF - Monroe CC - St. Malo, France - ST. JOHN'S

• 188 replies

paultzman

Re: Marco Bourgault - SF - Monroe CC - St. Malo, France
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2012, 09:52:08 AM »
This is why I have a hard time believing he'd come to St Johns. Minutes are not guaranteed and with Branch and Felix already on board, it's slim to none he gets off the bench. With 2 years left in his college eligibility, would he want to be a cheerleader?

+1

Moose

« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2012, 09:52:15 AM »
This is why I have a hard time believing he'd come to St Johns. Minutes are not guaranteed and with Branch and Felix already on board, it's slim to none he gets off the bench. With 2 years left in his college eligibility, would he want to be a cheerleader?

Maybe he can dress in Steve Novak's locker

Everyone says we can't have a team of all studs.  Well here is a role player.  Now people don't want him?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 09:52:51 AM by Moose »
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2012, 09:54:25 AM »

He would play ahead of Felix from the start, not saying that he would keep the spot in the rotation. The kid can shoot which is what we need. 

Plus rebound a bit, pass and play smart.

PIB

« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2012, 10:00:57 AM »

Everyone says we can't have a team of all studs.  Well here is a role player.  Now people don't want him?

I hear you, and I have stated that we can't have a team full of all stars. I guess I am cautious about how much production we will get out of him.

I dig the fact that he is a shooter, but how many points will he score. The guy is not exactly lighting it up at Monroe.

With only two years of eligibility, I won't be mad about him joining, just cautious.

paultzman

« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2012, 10:09:39 AM »

I hear you, and I have stated that we can't have a team full of all stars. I guess I am cautious about how much production we will get out of him.

I dig the fact that he is a shooter, but how many points will he score. The guy is not exactly lighting it up at Monroe.

With only two years of eligibility, I won't be mad about him joining, just cautious.

Part of the puzzle, not the solution!

Chilleb

« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2012, 10:14:53 AM »
Who else is recruiting Marco?

Outside of depth, I'm trying to understand how much value he can actually add to this club.

His numbers are pedestrian, at best.

I don't think everyone needs to be an all star, but he doesn't really impress me.

Thats what should impress you most.  On a great Monroe team he was 5th option.  Behind Orlando, 2 guards who never met a shot they didn't like.  And a low post threat in Ndour.  He won't come in here expecting minutes like a Morris would or expect to be the main like he was in HS like a Hall.  Plus its a 2 year risk.  (I know he might have a 3rd year but no guarantee on his end or ours for that).  Maryland was hot after him.
I thought the story was he was close friends with the big kid Alex over at Maryland and worked out there in the summer also had said it was his dream school but they never offered. The article I remember reading was they loved him as a kid but not so much as a possible recruit.

Chilleb

« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2012, 10:17:22 AM »
But for the record I'm all on board for him, he's 6'6 and steady. Nice stroke and can provide ball handling in certain stints and good passer.

Moose

« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2012, 10:23:09 AM »

Outside of depth, I'm trying to understand how much value he can actually add to this club.

I don't think everyone needs to be an all star, but he doesn't really impress me.

Thats what should impress you most.  On a great Monroe team he was 5th option.  Behind Orlando, 2 guards who never met a shot they didn't like.  And a low post threat in Ndour.  He won't come in here expecting minutes like a Morris would or expect to be the main like he was in HS like a Hall.  Plus its a 2 year risk.  (I know he might have a 3rd year but no guarantee on his end or ours for that).  Maryland was hot after him.
I thought the story was he was close friends with the big kid Alex over at Maryland and worked out there in the summer also had said it was his dream school but they never offered. The article I remember reading was they loved him as a kid but not so much as a possible recruit.

Yes he was close with Len.  I don't know about dream school but he was definitely interested, and they were as well.  But Turgeon was in similar position to Lav where he had tons of ships and more needs so went in another direction with his class.

Lets not kid ourselves either it might be a ticket to Orlando.  Lav has shown a willingness to play nice with package deals.  Granted none have worked so far.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Chilleb

« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2012, 10:26:14 AM »

Yes he was close with Len.  I don't know about dream school but he was definitely interested, and they were as well.  But Turgeon was in similar position to Lav where he had tons of ships and more needs so went in another direction with his class.

Lets not kid ourselves either it might be a ticket to Orlando.  Lav has shown a willingness to play nice with package deals.  Granted none have worked so far.
Glad you mentioned that, seems anytime I accuse or suppose Lav uses some bait to get a big fish I'm delusional.

« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2012, 12:07:28 PM »
This kid just knows how to fit in. The two games i witnessed showed me that he would be extremely beneficial in breaking down a zone, both with his shooting and with his passing which was really good. Kid never held on to the ball for longer than 2 seconds when it wasnt warranted.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

paultzman

« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2012, 12:22:37 PM »
Update on weekend visit w his buddy, Sanchez

“@AdamZagoria: Johnnies Hosting Key Visitors This Weekend http://t.co/i5cD4VGy #stjbb”

Chilleb

« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2012, 01:07:39 PM »

“@AdamZagoria: Johnnies Hosting Key Visitors This Weekend http://t.co/i5cD4VGy #stjbb”
this could be bad if both bourgault and balamou commit and both sanchez and obekpa go elsewhere
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 01:07:51 PM by Chilleb »

sju89tr

« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2012, 01:09:00 PM »

this could be bad if both bourgault and balamou commit and both sanchez and obekpa go elsewhere

Dont see that happening in regards to Sanchez. I don't think we land Obekpa.

paultzman

« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2012, 01:44:09 PM »

I'd say.

paultzman

« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2012, 01:45:11 PM »

Right on the money! Wild card is Chandler.

sju89tr

« Reply #75 on: April 18, 2012, 01:47:56 PM »

To be completely honest, I am not sure that the staff likes Obekpa as much as Chandler anyway, not getting around the grades issue with the NCAA. Not trying to sugar coat this but Chandler is a far more well rounded post player than Obekpa on the first day they would be freshman on a college campus.

paultzman

« Reply #76 on: April 18, 2012, 01:57:11 PM »

To be completely honest, I am not sure that the staff likes Obekpa as much as Chandler anyway, not getting around the grades issue with the NCAA. Not trying to sugar coat this but Chandler is a far more well rounded post player than Obekpa on the first day they would be freshman on a college campus.

+1

« Reply #77 on: April 18, 2012, 02:05:22 PM »

Per Zagsblog:  Bourgault averaged 10.9 points and shot 42 percent from beyond the arc (81-for-192) at Monroe.

I would take thos numbers.  If he came anywhere close to scoring 10 pts. on 42% from the 3pt line, he would be a fantastic add.

Poison

« Reply #78 on: April 18, 2012, 03:02:25 PM »
Looks like Sergio Luyk

desco80

« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2012, 03:34:21 PM »

+1
If he's eligible I want Chandler playing Center for us over all other possible options.