Marco Bourgault - SF - Monroe CC - St. Malo, France - ST. JOHN'S

• 188 replies

Marillac

Re: Marco Bourgault - SF - Monroe CC - St. Malo, France - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #160 on: October 28, 2012, 12:48:18 AM »
this is hilarious:

St. Johns Problems @StJohnsPrblms
   ·More
Lets just say that there are going to be way more girls watching St. Johns basketball this year thanks to @Marco_Bourgault #stjohnsproblems

He was a huge fan fave at Monroe.  Whenever he touched the ball the fans screamed his name.

Marillac

« Reply #162 on: October 28, 2012, 08:19:49 PM »
Not really about Bourgault, but I love the photo of Balamou defending him from the scrimmage.  Man, you just gotta love kids that are willing to get low and D-up.  It's makes me very angry to see these guys out of a defensive stance just going through the motions.

On to Bourgault, I think he is our x-factor this year.  He is the one guy that can put us over the edge.  We need another shooter and I was impressed with his court presence, handle, and passing ability.  He's also much more sturdy in the post than I figured he'd be. 

Poison

« Reply #163 on: October 28, 2012, 08:35:57 PM »
Not really about Bourgault, but I love the photo of Balamou defending him from the scrimmage.  Man, you just gotta love kids that are willing to get low and D-up.  It's makes me very angry to see these guys out of a defensive stance just going through the motions.

On to Bourgault, I think he is our x-factor this year.  He is the one guy that can put us over the edge.  We need another shooter and I was impressed with his court presence, handle, and passing ability.  He's also much more sturdy in the post
than I figured he'd be. 

He's definitely AN x-factor, but isn't THE x-factor the true PG we've been lacking since Erick Barkley?

Marillac

« Reply #164 on: October 28, 2012, 09:18:31 PM »

On to Bourgault, I think he is our x-factor this year.  He is the one guy that can put us over the edge.  We need another shooter and I was impressed with his court presence, handle, and passing ability.  He's also much more sturdy in the post
than I figured he'd be. 

He's definitely AN x-factor, but isn't THE x-factor the true PG we've been lacking since Erick Barkley?

D'Angelo Harrison and Phil Greene could step up if Branch proved to be at 10-15 mpg bust.  If Marco can't get on the court, I don't see who our next shooter would be this year.  I love this team--no knock to them at all--but we would be lying if we didn't acknowledge that we are a very below average shooting team after Harrison.  It's not even just shooting, scoring will be a problem in the half court.  Defensively this team can matchup with anyone and there will be a ton of points in transition, but there could be dry spells without a second proven shooter/scorer.

Poison

« Reply #165 on: October 28, 2012, 09:21:31 PM »
Good point. The zone buster has eluded us since Bootsy.

« Reply #166 on: October 28, 2012, 09:24:55 PM »
Marillac's spot-on.  Excellent post.

MCNPA

« Reply #167 on: October 29, 2012, 01:44:52 AM »

On to Bourgault, I think he is our x-factor this year.  He is the one guy that can put us over the edge.  We need another shooter and I was impressed with his court presence, handle, and passing ability.  He's also much more sturdy in the post than I figured he'd be.

I mentioned this before, but Balamou is going to he a monster defender with some coaching.  Kid has the fastest lateral speed I've seen in a while and has the right instincts.  He changes direction incredibly fast and anticipates well.  No doubt he didn't defend like he could at OSNA, but he has all the skills. 
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 01:45:41 AM by MCNPA »

jr49

« Reply #168 on: October 29, 2012, 08:20:41 AM »
If he has the skills, he will respond. As a junior Mo had rough time keeping guards in front of him. As senior progressed to where he was a big help vs Conn who had some nice, hard to contain guards on their team. Kids now will be coached to spot where help is needed and will adjust.

« Reply #169 on: October 29, 2012, 12:56:37 PM »
So Hardy, Horne and DJ didn't bust any zones?  I loved Bootsy but he was way more than just a Zone buster.  Let's see what the new guys can do before we get on them.  Penetration is another good thing and I think we're going to be OK in that category.  It's all about players and we have a lot of them.  That's the key to the year.

Poison

« Reply #170 on: October 29, 2012, 01:45:12 PM »
So Hardy, Horne and DJ didn't bust any zones?  I loved Bootsy but he was way more than just a Zone buster.  Let's see what the new guys can do before we get on them.  Penetration is another good thing and I think we're going to be OK in that category.  It's all about players and we have a lot of them.  That's the key to the year.

Not like Bootsy, no. Hardy was great senior year. DJ and Horne were not what I would call zone busters. They were both erratic shooters. If they could bust a zone, they would have.

crgreen

« Reply #171 on: October 29, 2012, 02:37:52 PM »

Not like Bootsy, no. Hardy was great senior year. DJ and Horne were not what I would call zone busters. They were both erratic shooters. If they could bust a zone, they would have.

My experience is that fans are NEVER satisfied with their OWN teams shooters.   Three point shooting SHOULD be a pretty fixed deal.  You take x amount of shots from beyond the arc, you make a certain percentage - thats how good a shooter you are.    You make 34 of 100, you're getting your team more points that if you made 50 of 100 from inside.   Forty of 100 gets you f120 pts - the same as making 60 of 100 inside.   50 of 100 gets you the same as making 75 of 100 inside the arc.   It's pretty easy stuff.     

Fans always seem to look at OTHER teams players and say, why don't we have a shooter like that?   But in the very rare occasion, you usually DO.   You've got someon who's probably making the same percentage, or maybe had 3 or 4 that just ticked the rim for a miss.     You remember those opponnents shots "always" going in (escpecially if you lost!) - while you tend to remember  your guys shots missing - and MAYBE the occasional "big" shot that goes in.

On the Bruin boards, there has been a lament that NOT gettting a "zone" buster has been one of Ben Howland's biggest failures.  He's a pound it inside guy, so good teams just zone him and he loses the big games.  Bruins hadn't had a "zone buster" since Jason kapono. 

Trouble is, when they went to the final Four in 2008,  Darren Collison was hitting 53 of 101 three pointers for the year.  The following year, Mike Roll (injured in 2008) hit 51-99.   Back to back years with guys shooting FIFTY TWO percent from distance.  Yet the perception was, no zone buster. 

For us last year, D'lo hit 37% - as a freshman - and people are "disappointed".   I'll take that all season long.    If one or two of the newbies come close to that, we'll be just fine.    Because th ats the same as hitting 55 1/2% from inside the arc.   Folks WILL have to come out to guard them.   Only this year, we have more than just Mo waiting to take advantage of the middle opening up.   Chris.  Orlando, Jakarr, Chrisitan.   

As I said, we'd be fine if that's what we get.   But I really think we do much better than that.  Given this INTERIOR group we have this season, I think the perimeter shooting is gonna be fish in a barrel - opposition will have to pick their poison, and I think it will trying to protect the middle.  I foresee more 3s this year, but I see far less FORCED 3s.   I think we get them as a result of the offense succeeding, not desparation when it fails, as was the case quite often last year.   And shots WITHIN the offense are better shots - and MORE of those tend to go in!  I EXPECT we'll at least two 40+% 3 pt shooters, and at least 2 others above 35% at the end of the season.

Of course, thats part of my 40-0 overall prediction  :)

« Reply #172 on: November 05, 2012, 05:03:30 PM »
Just now?

“@Marco_Bourgault: I am CLEAR by the NCAA!!! Let's goooo”

marco said he was cleared on sep 10.  so maybe it is just about classification right now.  something is off here

NYCoffey

« Reply #173 on: November 05, 2012, 05:16:05 PM »
Not poisitive but I think on Sept 10th he was probably cleared academically, but now they're reviewing how many years he is eligible for.

Moose

« Reply #174 on: November 05, 2012, 05:17:41 PM »
Not poisitive but I think on Sept 10th he was probably cleared academically, but now they're reviewing how many years he is eligible for.

Correct.

Marco is peculiar case.  First off overseas player.  2nd he went to Montana but was never cleared because he was foreign and missing some requirements.  3rd went to prep school (and a sketchy one at that) in ND Prep.  4th went JUCO and missed a whole year with injury so only playing 1 of 2 years.
Remember who broke the Slice news

NYCoffey

« Reply #175 on: November 05, 2012, 05:22:19 PM »
With all that red tape he better have a shot as sweet as advertised.

« Reply #176 on: November 05, 2012, 05:22:35 PM »

Correct.

Marco is peculiar case.  First off overseas player.  2nd he went to Montana but was never cleared because he was foreign and missing some requirements.  3rd went to prep school (and a sketchy one at that) in ND Prep.  4th went JUCO and missed a whole year with injury so only playing 1 of 2 years.

what's throwing me off is quotes like this from coach:
"With Marco and Orlando, we're waiting on a ruling regarding their eligibility and we expect to hear at some point in the next week or so"

Can you be "cleared by the ncaa" but not be "eligible"?  Maybe it's just semantics but is seems fishy to me

Moose

« Reply #177 on: November 05, 2012, 05:25:07 PM »

Correct.

what's throwing me off is quotes like this from coach:
"With Marco and Orlando, we're waiting on a ruling regarding their eligibility and we expect to hear at some point in the next week or so"

Can you be "cleared by the ncaa" but not be "eligible"?  Maybe it's just semantics but is seems fishy to me

Its how your reading the word eligibility.  They were cleared.  That's a fact.  Otherwise they wouldnt be practicing, on the roster, in Midnight Madness, taking classes.  Eligibility in this case means for how long can they play.
Remember who broke the Slice news

NYCoffey

« Reply #178 on: November 05, 2012, 05:26:04 PM »
Their both "eligible" its just how long they are "elible" for. I know what you mean though. Getting cleared once by the NCAA is enough of a wait. Twice really sucks.

« Reply #179 on: November 05, 2012, 06:03:30 PM »
Thanks guys. I think I just need games to start and Jordan to commit. Then I'll stop nitpicking.