Max Hooper - SF - Harvard Transfer - Irvine, CA - ST. JOHN'S

• 296 replies
Re: Max Hooper - SF - Harvard Transfer - Irvine, CA
« Reply #160 on: April 15, 2012, 06:02:26 PM »
On the other hand one would wonder how quincy roberts couldn't get some mins here after he averaged 23ppg this yr at Grambling. I'm sure there are reasons why he didn't play at harvard but I'm confident that Lav and staff know what they are looking for.

Exactly, those reasons could of been anything. We dont know these things it could of been an early season injury & he fell behind the learning curve. All I know is he can definitely play and really hope he commits to us

« Reply #161 on: April 15, 2012, 06:03:28 PM »
Yeah, I have full faith in Lavin & Co.  They know what they are doing.  Just hoping for some insight on the elephant in the room, which we all see.  If he can line it up from 3 and nail 'um, he would have been doing that at Harvard.  Better fit for that in the Ivies than in the BE.  Especially given that the Ivies were so uneven, with Harvard pushing everyone around (okay, not everyone, they had some tight games against Princeton and others maybe).  You'd think a kid who could shoot would get his necessary space and just knock 'um down.

The way I WANT to imagine this guy is that relatively unathletic guy for Baylor who everyone sets picks for so that he can get a little space to heave up a long ball.  Kid was dangerous.  A guy like that could really help our team.

Poison

« Reply #162 on: April 15, 2012, 06:04:02 PM »
Once again a thread on a player hijacked by a silly debate!!! this time on the relevancy of pepperdine basketball.

If Pepperdine is competition for him, than it's relevant. Their place in college basketball along with Oakland's matters.

boo3

« Reply #163 on: April 15, 2012, 06:05:54 PM »
Once again a thread on a player hijacked by a silly debate!!! this time on the relevancy of pepperdine basketball.

If Pepperdine is competition for him, than it's relevant. Their place in college basketball along with Oakland's matters.

Yes. I tend to agree. Pepperdine only came up as a result of taking about Hooper's recruitment.  It is also very easy to gloss over the posts that bother you.

crgreen

« Reply #164 on: April 15, 2012, 07:41:39 PM »

Yes. I tend to agree. Pepperdine only came up as a result of taking about Hooper's recruitment.  It is also very easy to gloss over the posts that bother you.

That was my bad.  I should have prefaced the Pepperdine reference better.   I thought the Brendan Lane mention would be enuf (Lav's staff made inquiries about Lane when he decided to transfer from UCLA).  The tie to Hooper is that Brendan played with Travis and David Wear, as well as Tyler Lamb at UCLA the last 2 years- all former teammates of Max's at Mater Dei, and it was known in recruiting circles that Pepperdine coach Marty Wilson was looking for some outside shooting to balance the class.     It's a moot point tho - Pepperdine used it's last ride yesterday.  Interestingly a sharpshooting transfer - a 6'7 JC kid from Germany named Malte Kramer aattened Cuesta College.    Kid averaged 17 pts a game over his 2 years, shot 47% on 3s.  Supposedly the best permieter shooter in California JC ranks - Kinda surprised Lav's didn't know about Kramer  - Kid has a 4.0 GPA - went to JC while getting his international transcripts in order :)

So this tangent is officially closed! 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 07:49:17 PM by crgreen »

Gumby

« Reply #165 on: April 19, 2012, 09:02:07 AM »
So if I read the recent posts correctly, we may be in the final two schools for the services of two of the sharp shooters, Max (with Oakland) and Marco (with LA Tech), we are seeking.  Not quite the same as last year when we were battling top 20 schools for our recruits.  But then again, we are not talking about starters, but guys who could provide some significant help as role players, which we certainly need. 

MCNPA

« Reply #166 on: April 19, 2012, 09:27:40 AM »
So if I read the recent posts correctly, we may be in the final two schools for the services of two of the sharp shooters, Max (with Oakland) and Marco (with LA Tech), we are seeking.  Not quite the same as last year when we were battling top 20 schools for our recruits.  But then again, we are not talking about starters, but guys who could provide some significant help as role players, which we certainly need.

We could have somewhere between 2-4 top 60 players in this 2012 class not to mention several top 60 players returning.  Certainly need a few role players because only a few schools out there are landing top 60 kids for the low spots on the roster. 

« Reply #167 on: April 19, 2012, 09:29:47 AM »
Hard to believe we were once able to press pole players for a decision and the competition is depressing.  We are still NYC's BE team and that should count for something.  Even Norm was able to rummage through the leftovers for some decent talent.  Of course he had no idea what to do with it but a lot of his kids are drawing a check for playing the game.  That's a good selling point.

Poison

« Reply #168 on: April 19, 2012, 09:35:54 AM »
Hard to believe we were once able to press pole players for a decision and the competition is depressing.  We are still NYC's BE team and that should count for something.  Even Norm was able to rummage through the leftovers for some decent talent.  Of course he had no idea what to do with it but a lot of his kids are drawing a check for playing the game.  That's a good selling point.

I'm annoyed like many people are at the lack of certainty, but I think in regards to recruiting, we are nowhere near starting phrases with "even Norm". Norm was a terrible recruiter. The worst we've ever had, and probably the worst in the history of the BE Conference.

sju89tr

« Reply #169 on: April 19, 2012, 09:45:44 AM »

Norm could promise kids bound for Marist starter minutes in the Big East. That was his pitch.

« Reply #170 on: April 23, 2012, 02:50:41 PM »
AdamZagoria Former Harvard SG Max Hooper visited #stjbb this wknd w/ Sanchez & Bourgault and is mulling Oakland and St John's

paultzman

« Reply #171 on: April 23, 2012, 02:51:57 PM »
Not excited one way or another about him, but wonder if he will go another direction now that we got the commitment from Bourgault.

“@AdamZagoria: Former Harvard SG Max Hooper visited #stjbb this wknd w/ Sanchez & Bourgault and is mulling Oakland and St John's”

Moose

« Reply #172 on: April 23, 2012, 02:53:48 PM »
Not excited one way or another about him, but wonder if he will go another direction now that we got the commitment from Bourgault.

“@AdamZagoria: Former Harvard SG Max Hooper visited #stjbb this wknd w/ Sanchez & Bourgault and is mulling Oakland and St John's”

They are unrelated and Max could be icing on the cake.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Marillac

« Reply #173 on: April 23, 2012, 02:55:54 PM »

I find it strange that Lav would have both Hooper and Bourgault on campus together.  They are the same size and the same position. 

« Reply #174 on: April 23, 2012, 02:58:10 PM »
maybe he's added on academic scholly?

paultzman

« Reply #175 on: April 23, 2012, 02:58:53 PM »
Well, if he comes, JaKarr will be happy.

« Reply #176 on: April 23, 2012, 03:00:21 PM »
Having two spot-up, lights out shooters on the perimeter will be huge for this team. It'll give our athletic wings space to penetrate and options beyond the arc to pass to. Our shooting % beyond and within the arc were severely lacking last year. I like the move, immediately makes the team more dynamic.

sju89tr

« Reply #177 on: April 23, 2012, 03:03:37 PM »
He wouldn't be eligible to play until 2013 and will likely overlap with Marco only one year (i dont think the 3 years eligibility for Marco is official) so I do not see it being much of an issue and he then slides into Marco's spot for his final 2 years.

Moose

« Reply #178 on: April 23, 2012, 03:05:19 PM »
Don't think Hooper can be academic schollie or walkon since he visited officially and we've actively recruited him.

Also while Marco 'might' have 3 years it might be a situation where he plays 2 and then goes somewhere for his last year.
Remember who broke the Slice news

sju89tr

« Reply #179 on: April 23, 2012, 03:06:49 PM »
Don't think Hooper can be academic schollie or walkon since he visited officially and we've actively recruited him.

Also while Marco 'might' have 3 years it might be a situation where he plays 2 and then goes somewhere for his last year.

How do we know the visit was an official?