Max Hooper - SF - Harvard Transfer - Irvine, CA - ST. JOHN'S

• 296 replies

Chilleb

Re: Max Hooper - SF - Harvard Transfer - Irvine, CA - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #280 on: April 26, 2012, 12:05:17 PM »
Why wasn't he getting any playing time at Harvard?    You'd think his athleticism (or lack of). Would be less of an issue against ivy league opponents.
bad D according to Harvard board.

did harvard play man or zone.  we can hide him in a zone

I believe man based on the complaints on their message boards

Correct.
This is a post from that board:

04-23-12 05:45 PM - Post#128665     
    In response to FlaQuaker

No doubt the kid can shoot it. And St. John's is a little more zone oriented, if I remember correctly.

If you can hide him on defense, he can be an offensive asset. But he's not going to last long on the floor if you go man, which is what Harvard predominantly runs.

http://boards.basketball-u.com/showtopic.php?tid/10941/post/127300/
Thing is are we really zone oriented? We did it last year to keep guys out of foul trouble but going forward is that really our philosophy? Lav is selling these recruits on a run and gun get after it style of play

Moose

« Reply #281 on: April 26, 2012, 12:06:58 PM »
Why wasn't he getting any playing time at Harvard?    You'd think his athleticism (or lack of). Would be less of an issue against ivy league opponents.

Correct.

In response to FlaQuaker

No doubt the kid can shoot it. And St. John's is a little more zone oriented, if I remember correctly.

If you can hide him on defense, he can be an offensive asset. But he's not going to last long on the floor if you go man, which is what Harvard predominantly runs.

Thing is are we really zone oriented? We did it last year to keep guys out of foul trouble but going forward is that really our philosophy? Lav is selling these recruits on a run and gun get after it style of play

We did it first year too.
Remember who broke the Slice news

desco80

« Reply #282 on: April 26, 2012, 12:11:55 PM »

Correct.

In response to FlaQuaker

Yea, I think all indications point towards the matchup-zone being here to stay.
The difference is this year I think we'll stretch it to full court.   

Hopefully, with more depth (and a true pg), we won't be killing the clock every offensive position though.   That's what we all hate to see.   

paultzman

« Reply #283 on: May 19, 2012, 08:19:58 PM »
Alumni game at Brewster Academy!

“@BrewsterHoops: Max Hooper is on fire!!!!”

“@BrewsterHoops: Someone needs to explain why Max Hooper got no time at Harvard!! Rachet!”

Just got home from NYC and to be honest it is a slow night at the Daily Planet!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 08:21:13 PM by paultzman »

Marillac

« Reply #284 on: May 20, 2012, 01:20:21 AM »

Correct.

In response to FlaQuaker

As long as Dunlap is here we'll be running a zone.  Dunlap loves to pressure the ball and force the ball to one side of the floor--which is why all the zones he's utilized in the past had one man at the top.  I'm not a huge fan of what is being run now, because it just seems like a reversing the ball a few times always leaves an open shooter on the wing.  I guess we'll just have to see how a versatile athletic squad can do with two years of experience in it.

paultzman

« Reply #285 on: August 15, 2012, 05:43:43 PM »
I never was high on Max's recruitment here, realizing the connection to Karr being happy here. That said, it appears this kid never stops working. Perhaps I am wrong and he will be effective off the bench offensively in due time. On D, however, I am not as optimistic. Boys working out in Cali!

“@KarrSampson14: Just got that good workout in with my boys  @JeramiahPierre0 @maxthehooper”

Poison

« Reply #286 on: August 15, 2012, 06:13:03 PM »
I never was high on Max's recruitment here, realizing the connection to Karr being happy here. That said, it appears this kid never stops working. Perhaps I am wrong and he will be effective off the bench offensively in due time. On D, however, I am not as optimistic. Boys working out in Cali!

“@KarrSampson14: Just got that good workout in with my boys  @JeramiahPierre0 @maxthehooper”

Other successful teams have one great shooter off the bench. We have been embarrassed by zone defenses for ages. This will help us fight the zone. I think it's a wise move.

« Reply #287 on: August 15, 2012, 07:29:51 PM »

“@KarrSampson14: Just got that good workout in with my boys  @JeramiahPierre0 @maxthehooper”

Like i've said before, Hooper has the ability to play on this level. He knows how to play off talent and is an extremely hard worker. On defense he may not be a great individual defender but can play the angles and knows how to play team defense. He'll make it work. The first time I saw him play I had no idea who he was but immediately stood out while playing with elite talents like Sampson, McGary, Nadiir Tharpe & Eli Carter. I think he'll be a key piece in 2013 & beyond

sju89tr

« Reply #288 on: August 16, 2012, 09:35:14 AM »

Like i've said before, Hooper has the ability to play on this level. He knows how to play off talent and is an extremely hard worker. On defense he may not be a great individual defender but can play the angles and knows how to play team defense. He'll make it work. The first time I saw him play I had no idea who he was but immediately stood out while playing with elite talents like Sampson, McGary, Nadiir Tharpe & Eli Carter. I think he'll be a key piece in 2013 & beyond

I saw him play while he was at Mater Dei, the kid can ball. Yes he is a little slow footed but he has good size and can match up defensively in the front court against some opponents. Rico Hines will teach him well. He may not be as athletic as Marco but Max will find his niche with St Johns.

ras

« Reply #289 on: August 16, 2012, 10:32:15 AM »
He is such a great 3 point shooter, he will be an asset and help open up the inside, because you cant leave him open.

« Reply #290 on: August 16, 2012, 10:59:38 AM »

I saw him play while he was at Mater Dei, the kid can ball. Yes he is a little slow footed but he has good size and can match up defensively in the front court against some opponents. Rico Hines will teach him well. He may not be as athletic as Marco but Max will find his niche with St Johns.

I also saw him play at Mater Dei has the ability to play in Big East and any connection with Mater Dei can't hurt.

jr49

« Reply #291 on: December 31, 2012, 08:53:39 PM »
Watching Harvard beating up on St. Marys after winning at Cal. Watching them play makes me figure we can use a few more of Tommy's players. Kudos to Tommy. His kids do everything right. That said this game ain't over yet.

crgreen

« Reply #292 on: January 01, 2013, 01:10:42 AM »
Watching Harvard beating up on St. Marys after winning at Cal. Watching them play makes me figure we can use a few more of Tommy's players. Kudos to Tommy. His kids do everything right. That said this game ain't over yet.

And they've got a GREAT commit coming in - a kid  I'd love to have either here or at UCLA (his 2nd choice) - 6'9 Zena Edosomwan...He's going to make the Crimson VERY dangerous in the coming years.  Been described as a bigger Luc Richard Mbah a Moute with a consistent mid-range shot...

pmg911

« Reply #293 on: January 23, 2013, 12:15:39 PM »
I have seen Hooper play, he is a better shooter and I think he is taller despite the heights listed on official roster. Max is a smarter ballplayer and works really hard. Trust me (if both are here together) lavin will play the Redshirt Soph over the Senior. 

hey Ted - moved the reply here because it was in the Jordan thread...

Not arguing that Hooper is better than Marco but if was really that good, he couldn't crack the line up at Harvard at all last year..? I am sure the kid can shoot it but how good will he be at this level..?

Moose

« Reply #294 on: January 23, 2013, 12:23:49 PM »
Him not playing last year is another mystery for our players.  Will we ever know.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #295 on: March 22, 2013, 09:20:15 AM »
He has to be thinking I should've stayed at Harvard

paultzman

« Reply #296 on: October 08, 2013, 07:30:00 PM »
“@nybuckets: ICYMI: How Max Hooper got to @StJohnsBBall and the impact the sweet shooter can make http://www.nycbuckets.com/2013/10/from-harvards-bench-to-the-red-storms-savior/