Re: Philip Nolan
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 01:32:02 PM »
Can't these kids stick at one hs? No wonder why so many have academic issues

Moose

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 01:35:52 PM »

?

Due to transfer rules, Nolan sat out much of the past season at Riverside High School in Milwaukee, WI; he had played at St. Benedict's Prep in his junior year season, and has also attended Huntington Prep.

The recruitment's in the early stages. There was some worry that Nolan would not qualify, but Nolan says "my grades aren't an issue."
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 01:42:23 PM »

?

Due to transfer rules, Nolan sat out much of the past season at Riverside High School in Milwaukee, WI; he had played at St. Benedict's Prep in his junior year season, and has also attended Huntington Prep.

The recruitment's in the early stages. There was some worry that Nolan would not qualify, but Nolan says "my grades aren't an issue."

Rise up next?

Moose

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 01:51:24 PM »

?

Rise up next?

Substitute your name for Nick Cannon.

Dave Chappelle son
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 01:51:59 PM by Moose »

gman

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 02:55:50 PM »

?

I have a tough time believe grades aren't an issue when kids bounce from school to school.  Who is making sure he is taking all the right classes to qualify, etc.  Also just talking more in general not just about Nolan.  Just ranting while sitting in the laundromat waiting for my clothes to dry.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 03:00:21 PM by gman »

ras

Re: Philip Nolan - C - Riverside Univeristy HS - Milwaukee, WI
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 03:16:27 PM »
Maybe this was answered previously, but how good is he? How is he ranked?

MCNPA

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 03:34:12 PM »
Maybe this was answered previously, but how good is he? How is he ranked?

Offers from Oregon, Marquette, Maryland, Clemson among others.  He's 6'10" and real athletic.  Looked good in videos and is/was highly ranked.  We aren't pursuing kids who are marginal talents.  As to why he went to a few schools?  Who cares?  As long as he's qualified and not any sortie problem player with a history, then it isn't much of a big deal?  Seems a worthwhile pursuit with real post player height and the length that Lavin likes. 

ras

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 03:38:49 PM »
With the risks of Chandler not qualifying, and CO probably having a Cincy lean.. I say go for it. You can never have to many 6 10 quality players. And to say we need a C is an understatement.

Moose

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 04:25:11 PM »
Ranked 102 by Rivals.

MCNPA

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 04:33:26 PM »
Kid sounds good to me.  Just outside top 100 and he's interested.  My guess is if we're pursuing him, we don't land one of Obekpa or Sanchez.  It's fine, if we land kid like this.  I for one am happy to see we have other options and talented ones at that.

Moose

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 12:51:42 AM »
http://stjohns.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1339891

Most schools didn't expect four-star prospect Phillip Nolan to qualify academically. Now it is looking like the 6-foot-10 center out of Milwaukee (Wis.) Riverside University High School will qualify, kick-starting his recruitment into high gear. Memphis, Minnesota, Missouri, Oklahoma and Tennessee amongst others are jumping into the mix.

Moose

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 01:13:36 AM »
Not sure if this was posted.  If so- apologies.  Portion of big feature on him from earlier this year.

http://stjohns.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1339405

"We actually just lost our regional playoff game yesterday," said Nolan on Sunday night. "This year I only got to play in seven games because I had transferred from a prep school and Wisconsin rules, through the WIAA, they had me sit the majority of the season.

"I still got to practice everyday and my game got better at pretty much everything. We had so many bigs on our team that I was also able to work on more ball handling. I think my perimeter game developed more.

"I actually believe I got stronger too. The last few weeks I've been working out with a trainer about four or five times a week and doing that while eating the protein shakes I've gained a couple pounds. So I've got stronger.

"With me being stronger, I already have some good post moves, but with the added strength my post game has developed more."

Nolan already has the length, athletic ability, and low post touch that many schools drool over and you know they are excited hearing about added strength to Nolan's frame.

Over the past year Nolan has accumulated numerous offers including Arizona, Baylor, Clemson, Iowa State, Marquette, Minnesota, Maryland, Oklahoma, Oregon, Saint Louis, and Texas A&M. But with the fall signing period coming and goings of course some schools have moved on while new programs are recruiting Phillip.

"Right now out of all the schools that are looking at me I would say Oklahoma is recruiting me the hardest," explained Nolan. "Me and one of the assistant coaches at Oklahoma had built a relationship over the summer time. Missouri, Tennessee, and Memphis are also recruiting me."

All those schools and others still have time to get in on Nolan because at this point he is still wide open.

"To be honest I couldn't even tell you when I expect to make a decision," explained Nolan. "I'm not even thinking about it that much right now to tell you the truth. I've haven't had it on my mind nor have I put much thought into it."

Moose

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2012, 11:33:33 PM »
http://stjohns.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1323094

Part of a tournament recap-

Phillip Nolan - Nolan's second game of the season was against a Hopkins team that appears to be running on all cylinders so judgment on his ability should wait until a further date. Nolan is all of 6-foot-10 and still the long and athletic player that Gopher Illustrated loved in Las Vegas a couple summers back.

Defensively his long arms and agility have the potential to be a menace in a high major program. Nolan blocked four shots against the Royals including one pin off the glass of a Jake Wright shot and a smashing of a Siyani Chambers attempt. Nolan also grabbed four rebounds, which doesn't seem like much but consider that Hopkins scored 91 points and had the game in running time early. Translation, there weren't many defensive boards to grab. Nolan was stuck defending Zach Stahl often, which is quite the task for a 6-foot-10 player in only his second game back. There were struggles but that should be expected. As a shot blocker Nolan looks really good and he has the potential to be a good position defender if he wants to be.

Offensively Nolan led his team with 13 points and all came from the low block. Phillip looked like a back to the basket post in this game utilizing a quick spin move over his right shoulder, a left hand jumphook from five feet, and a power move going through a double team to score while being fouled. Nolan also scored twice on putbacks and he produced a field goal on a lob play that Hopkins read perfectly with Stahl bumping Nolan but Phillip went through the bump and scored anyway.

Minnesota had Head Coach Tubby Smith, Assistant Coach Saul Smith, and Assistant Coach Vince Taylor were in the building looking on. At 6-foot-10 and athletic Nolan is a high major talent. He will need to hit the weights but his frame could add muscle and still keep his athleticism. Offensively Nolan has some work to do but he could score some as a freshman. The key to him playing in his first year of college will be his consistency on defense. He is a shot blocker and will be able to do that right away, but there are some positional defensive things that need to come back to him after sitting out for so long.

desco80

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 07:35:09 PM »
Ranked 102 by Rivals.

In comparison Rivals has Obekpa ranked #105.  Probably underrated, but I think it gives some perspective that Nolan is a real talent.   
I'm interested to see how things shake out with him.    Some combination of Nolan, Obekpa, Sanchez, Chandler would be a huge upgrade to our frontcourt.   

Not to mention Sampson and a returning GG.   

desco80

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 11:24:24 AM »
Never know what to make of Zags "sources" but, this from today's article:

"Another St. John’s target, 6-10 Wisconsin center Philip Nolan, may end up prepping this year, sources told SNY.tv."

“He’s a talent, has a ton of potential,” one source close to Nolan told SNY.tv. “He needs to add some weight. He can probably make an impact as a freshman but not as much as if he gets stronger.

As for where Nolan might land after a year of prep, the source said, “Anybody’s going to be able to get him next year.”

http://www.zagsblog.com/2012/04/11/monroes-sanchez-bourgault-going-on-visits/

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012, 08:48:36 AM »
Certainly sounds like he is going to prep.  From a Rivals.com Minnesota Golden Gophers article:

Heading into his senior year at Milwaukee Riverside Nolan had accumulated offers from the likes of Baylor, Clemson, Marquette, Minnesota, Oregon, Oklahoma, Iowa State, Texas A&M, and many others. He visited Oregon, Marquette, and Clemson last fall. But in November he didn't make a college decision. The 6-foot-10, 210 pound center ranked 118th in the class of 2012 could possibly be a member of the class of 2013.

"I still really haven't quite figured out yet what I am going to do next year," said Nolan Sunday. "I'm leaning towards going to a prep school because I need to get stronger and improve my game. If I go to prep school I will be going to St. John's Military School in Delafield, Wisconsin."

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1355544

Moose

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2012, 08:53:18 AM »
Certainly sounds like he is going to prep.  From a Rivals.com Minnesota Golden Gophers article:

Heading into his senior year at Milwaukee Riverside Nolan had accumulated offers from the likes of Baylor, Clemson, Marquette, Minnesota, Oregon, Oklahoma, Iowa State, Texas A&M, and many others. He visited Oregon, Marquette, and Clemson last fall. But in November he didn't make a college decision. The 6-foot-10, 210 pound center ranked 118th in the class of 2012 could possibly be a member of the class of 2013.

"I still really haven't quite figured out yet what I am going to do next year," said Nolan Sunday. "I'm leaning towards going to a prep school because I need to get stronger and improve my game. If I go to prep school I will be going to St. John's Military School in Delafield, Wisconsin."

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1355544

Maybe we were never interested and it was St. John's Military School all along :)