Philip Nolan - C - Riverside Univeristy HS - Milwaukee, WI - UCONN

• 196 replies

NYCoffey

Re: Philip Nolan - C - Riverside Univeristy HS - Milwaukee, WI - UCONN
« Reply #180 on: May 04, 2012, 08:37:15 AM »
How did they swing not using the scholarship? Maybe Lavin can pick up some tips as our schollies are getting tight.

Moose

« Reply #181 on: May 04, 2012, 08:41:10 AM »
How did they swing not using the scholarship? Maybe Lavin can pick up some tips as our schollies are getting tight.

Something sketchy for sure.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #182 on: May 04, 2012, 08:46:28 AM »
I was thinking that Calhoun was pulling the same trick he did with drummond. No visit, no recruitment, you don't have to use a BB schollie on him. But I would think Uconn has scholarships available with transfers and graduates.

But Uconn recruited Drummond plenty.  And he visited the campus unofficially a number of times as he was local kid.

Yeah.  Drummond was a local kid and UCONN was the OVERWHELMING favorite for his services.

DeAndre Daniels last year is a somewhat similar story.  His recruitment seemed to be down to Kansas, Duke and Texas.  But seemingly out of nowhere UCONN landed him.  But apparently they had recruited him in the Spring, not known to many, and he did visit.  But it was a bit of a stunner when he committed.  So it is not out of the question that Nolan did what he did.  But this close to a visit to SJU and he gives indications that SJU leads and never visits UCONN and then pops for them. 

Oh well I am over it.

redslope

« Reply #183 on: May 04, 2012, 10:00:22 AM »
looking through the entire Nolan thread, I see a very confused kid who is probably easily led and not a leader.  He has bounced around high schools; on an April 16th post he is going to a prep school and now within 20 days he visits NYC and us and decideds to go to U-Con.  Very balanced decision making.  As folks have said, he was probably promised the PT at U-Con and at SJU he was promised an opportunity; not difficult to understand his choice.  He better be a superstar and leave after first year or he will be overrecruited for his second and be switching schools again.

sju89tr

« Reply #184 on: May 04, 2012, 10:05:10 AM »
I was thinking that Calhoun was pulling the same trick he did with drummond. No visit, no recruitment, you don't have to use a BB schollie on him. But I would think Uconn has scholarships available with transfers and graduates.

The most puzzling part of it to me is that they offered a kid who is supposed to be academically challenged and attended 4 high schools. No inside info but just what is read from the experts. The last thing UCONN needs is for Nolan not to do well in classroom and then transfer. 

Moose

« Reply #185 on: May 04, 2012, 10:09:44 AM »

The most puzzling part of it to me is that they offered a kid who is supposed to be academically challenged and attended 4 high schools. No inside info but just what is read from the experts. The last thing UCONN needs is for Nolan not to do well in classroom and then transfer. 

I put chances at 80% he doesnt last 4 years there.

paultzman

« Reply #186 on: May 04, 2012, 12:47:02 PM »

It will be interesting to see how Philip tolerates Big Jim's tirades and bullying.

LJSA

« Reply #187 on: May 04, 2012, 01:10:04 PM »
What would be really sneaky would be if Nolan-to-UConn was set all along, and Calhoun arranged it so we'd burn one of our allotted officials.

sju89tr

« Reply #188 on: May 04, 2012, 01:10:20 PM »

It will be interesting to see how Philip tolerates Big Jim's tirades and bullying.

And possibly getting a fifth of Dewers thrown at his head after a stupid foul. LOL
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 01:10:54 PM by sju89tr »

Moose

« Reply #189 on: May 04, 2012, 01:18:37 PM »
What would be really sneaky would be if Nolan-to-UConn was set all along, and Calhoun arranged it so we'd burn one of our allotted officials.

We have plenty of officials to use though.

Marillac

« Reply #190 on: May 04, 2012, 07:51:11 PM »
I don't see anything fishy with this.  Sometimes, as fans, we can't see clearly because we are so biased.  Uconn may be facing a year or two without the possibility of postseason play, but they have been one of, if not the most dominant team in colleg basketball over the last 15 years.  THREE national championships is Nolan's lifetime and they just won the title last year!  It doesn't get any bigger...buy low and sell high, right?  Uconn is a huge program with a H.O.F. head coach with impressive track record for putting big men in the NBA.

The fact is, Uconn wouldn't have even been interested in Nolan under normal circumstances.  Good move for the kid...makes all the sense in the world. 

« Reply #191 on: May 04, 2012, 08:14:53 PM »
I don't think there is anything illegal as far as the recruitment.  It is just bizzare on both ends.  The kid never visits the school but he commits.  The school offers and accepts a commitment without ever having met the kid.  It screams of desperation like an internet blind date.  Sometimes the girl or guy you finally meet doesn't match the fantasy you created in your mind.

Moose

« Reply #192 on: May 04, 2012, 09:06:36 PM »
I don't see anything fishy with this.  Sometimes, as fans, we can't see clearly because we are so biased.  Uconn may be facing a year or two without the possibility of postseason play, but they have been one of, if not the most dominant team in colleg basketball over the last 15 years.  THREE national championships is Nolan's lifetime and they just won the title last year!  It doesn't get any bigger...buy low and sell high, right?  Uconn is a huge program with a H.O.F. head coach with impressive track record for putting big men in the NBA.

The fact is, Uconn wouldn't have even been interested in Nolan under normal circumstances.  Good move for the kid...makes all the sense in the world. 

You were a HS athlete.  Would you pick a school never visiting the campus or meeting the coaches?

Marillac

« Reply #193 on: May 04, 2012, 09:22:12 PM »

You were a HS athlete.  Would you pick a school never visiting the campus or meeting the coaches?

I was also a college athlete ;)  But, yes, if a school out of my reach offered, I could see myself accepting without ever visiting.  Uconn is a huge name and it gives this kid a chance to play major minutes immediately.  After two years of experience any kid is going to be tough to bypass on a depth chart for a new player.  Nolan has a good chance of startin or playing major minutes for two NCAA teams his junior and senior year. 

Plus, I don't think this would have played much here.  Being two inches taller was not enough for him to be a better option than the sturdier and more athletic and skilled forwards we already have. 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 09:23:41 PM by Marillac »

LJSA

« Reply #194 on: May 04, 2012, 10:49:31 PM »
And possibly getting a fifth of Dewers thrown at his head after a stupid foul. LOL

Come on, he wouldn't waste good booze.

Then again, he'd be on the ground lapping it up in between shards of glass, so it wouldn't truly go to waste.

desco80

« Reply #195 on: May 04, 2012, 10:56:19 PM »

+1.  Second day in a row you wrote what I was thinking.   Completely agree with that.

And I think some SJu fans make the mistake of lumping UCONN in with Syracuse as programs on the decline.

UCONN isn't heading for no mans land in the ACC, and even when Calhoun steps aside they wont fall too far from where they were because the university has shown its willing to pay $2 mil per year to both their mens' and womens' coaches.  That puts them in pretty rare company.  Their football program is on the rise, and they have tremendous alumni funding for bball as evidence by that new 70000 sq ft practice facility theyre building.
Plus, with Cuse heading south... they're alone as THE basketball program in the north east, at least until we're threatening for Final 4's.   

They may struggle in the next year, maybe two...but they'll back.   Which is good, because the BE is better with them doing well.

Moose

« Reply #196 on: May 04, 2012, 11:04:23 PM »

+1.  Second day in a row you wrote what I was thinking.   Completely agree with that.

And I think some SJu fans make the mistake of lumping UCONN in with Syracuse as programs on the decline.

UCONN isn't heading for no mans land in the ACC, and even when Calhoun steps aside they wont fall too far from where they were because the university has shown its willing to pay $2 mil per year to both their mens' and womens' coaches.  That puts them in pretty rare company.  Their football program is on the rise, and they have tremendous alumni funding for bball as evidence by that new 70000 sq ft practice facility theyre building.
Plus, with Cuse heading south... they're alone as THE basketball program in the north east, at least until we're threatening for Final 4's.   

They may struggle in the next year, maybe two...but they'll back.   Which is good, because the BE is better with them doing well.

All depends on the hire.  Seems like its Kevin Ollie's job once they finally realized there was no way in hell Brad Stevens would go there.  The question is will Kevin Ollie turn out like Clyde Drexler?