Josiah Turner - PG - Arizona Transfer - Sacramento, CA - SMU

• 199 replies

paultzman

« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 11:12:59 PM by jumpinjohnny »

DFF6

Re: Josiah Turner - PG - Arizona Transfer - Sacramento, CA
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 08:47:59 AM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2012/04/23/josiah-turner-considering-st-johns/

Love Turner's potential, and getting him would be an embarrassment of riches to go along with Branch.  If Lavin can convince Turner that he and Branch can successfully coexist, then IMO, that would be the most impressive recruiting move Lavin pulls off to date (with us).

Gumby

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 09:05:37 AM »
Young Josiah has some serious BB talents.  When he signed on with UA all the comments from folks who knew him were very positive about the person he was (is).

As you all know, both UA and ASU have had recent problems keeping players, such as Josiah.  I am not sure what the issues are, but when you have so many players leave these schools or think about leaving (or being dropped) there must be some internal causes.

Nevertheless, Josiah is a keeper.  I hope Coach can sign him up for the 2013 season.

J. Carson is also floating out here in the desert some where.

sju89tr

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 09:46:51 AM »
Young Josiah has some serious BB talents.  When he signed on with UA all the comments from folks who knew him were very positive about the person he was (is).

As you all know, both UA and ASU have had recent problems keeping players, such as Josiah.  I am not sure what the issues are, but when you have so many players leave these schools or think about leaving (or being dropped) there must be some internal causes.

Nevertheless, Josiah is a keeper.  I hope Coach can sign him up for the 2013 season.

J. Carson is also floating out here in the desert some where.

Carson tppk classes at ASU all last year, he isn't going anywhere at least for time being/

NYCoffey

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 10:09:58 AM »
If we were to land Turner, would he be coming to school this year and be able to practice, and not play in games till 3013-14?

Moose

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 10:12:38 AM »
If we were to land Turner, would he be coming to school this year and be able to practice, and not play in games till 3013-14?

Yes- fall 2013
Remember who broke the Slice news

NYCoffey

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 10:29:34 AM »
2013 sounds more like it. Who would want a 119 year old point guard in 3013.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 11:53:23 AM »
2013 sounds more like it. Who would want a 119 year old point guard in 3013.

1,021 year old PG actually lol.

Chilleb

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 12:11:41 PM »
This scenario reminds me of mike Rosario down in Florida who sat the pine this year only to return back to all-American status next year. Even if deangelo and branch don't leave after next year I think they can all coexist together in the future.

uwsfan

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 01:29:14 PM »
This scenario reminds me of mike Rosario down in Florida who sat the pine this year only to return back to all-American status next year. Even if deangelo and branch don't leave after next year I think they can all coexist together in the future.

Possibly..... but, if we do land Turner i predict Phil Greene may see the writing on the wall and look to transfer.

As far as having two pgs and a combo guard on the floor at same time, it could maybe work.

In any event, it would be a good problem to have

MCNPA

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 01:53:52 PM »
I don't see Josiah effecting Branch's status nor Greene's.  Josiah would come on board when those two are already upperclassmen.  He can be worked into the guard rotation and we'd have another scoring PG out there.  Not many backcourts in the country would be able to compete.  Lavin would only recruit him if he thought he wouldn't be a problem.  A worthwhile risk if a risk at all.  Kid has amazing tools.

paultzman

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 02:02:43 PM »
I don't see Josiah effecting Branch's status nor Greene's.  Josiah would come on board when those two are already upperclassmen.  He can be worked into the guard rotation and we'd have another scoring PG out there.  Not many backcourts in the country would be able to compete.  Lavin would only recruit him if he thought he wouldn't be a problem.  A worthwhile risk if a risk at all.  Kid has amazing tools.

Precisely, Lavin's desire is to create a high tempo, full court approach with interchangeable pieces. This would work, or at least be well worth trying!

pmg911

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 04:41:55 PM »
When you talk to multiple people and the phrase "head case" keeps coming up - I say stay away.

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 04:59:46 PM »
When you talk to multiple people and the phrase "head case" keeps coming up - I say stay away.

Seriously.  Isn't the type of usage described above and Turner's reaction to it what got him and UA in trouble to begin with?  The kid played 25 minutes per game but didn't like sharing time with fellow top rated freshman Nick Johnson and sr Kyle Fogg?  Is that really so different than the situation he'd be moving to?  Foggs now gone, is he getting scared off by Gabe York? 

Gumby

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 05:09:49 PM »
Moose, you asked me on Max's site if I had "inside information" on Josiah.  Well, as my information come from ASU via UA I cannot tell which is legit and which is misinformation.

Here is what I know.  Josiah has a ton of talent.  He clearly is coachable.  Both UA and ASU seem to have been hit hard in recent years with players either leaving or being dismissed.  So I do not know if the "coachable" issue is more related to the school and the coaches. Probably, a combination!

A key point mentioned to me was Josiah has no problem playing in the east.  Often FB and BB players from CA and AZ prefer to stay in the west, which may be a natural thing.  See our own D. Poole!

We may have two strong connections with Josiah- his relationships with Sir Dom and Jakaar and Coach's own west coach background.  But, hey, who knows.

This kid can flat our play, so Coach give him your "A" game recruiting effort.  Like I have to tell Coach that!  Sorry, Coach!

NYCoffey

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 11:07:51 AM »
Someone on the Arizona board is saying that Turner is visiting St. Johns this weekend. Anyone know if there is any truth to that?

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 11:13:48 AM »
Someone on the Arizona board is saying that Turner is visiting St. Johns this weekend. Anyone know if there is any truth to that?

Really....LOL!!!

NYCoffey

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 11:18:16 AM »
Could be wrong. I haven't seen any mention of it any where other than on that message board.

http://www.pointguardu.com/f2/josiah-turner-64791/

Also said he has interest from us, Missouri, Iona, SMU,New Mexico, and Louisville.

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 11:26:01 AM »
Could be wrong. I haven't seen any mention of it any where other than on that message board.

http://www.pointguardu.com/f2/josiah-turner-64791/

Also said he has interest from us, Missouri, Iona, SMU,New Mexico, and Louisville.

To be fair you are right about the visit part.  Nothing definite before.

Moose

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 11:31:24 AM »
What the heck is going on????
Remember who broke the Slice news