Tobe Okafor - C - Maine Central Institute - Pittsfield, ME

• 43 replies

desco80

Re: Tobe Okafor - C - Maine Central Institute - Pittsfield, ME
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2012, 03:27:41 PM »
How does being at the game give you more of an understanding of how he played than watching it on TV?

It makes a huge difference.  Just ask Bobre :)
You're learning.  It'd be nice if scouts could stay home but it just doesn't work that way.

That's why I actually go and watch these kids play HS and AAU.  So I don't watch a highlight video and wax poetic.

True, but there's a difference between what you do - seeing recruits in person rather than just highlights, and watching a full game in person and watching a full game on tv.   You're not missing as much when you see a full game, even if it's on tv.   

I know.  Not sure if you knew where I was coming from but Bobre has a propensity to attack some of our fans who are displaced and not in the NYC area and can't come to games.  A full game is a full game no matter where your watching it.  As for HS and AAU yes there are more and more games on TV each year which is awesome.  But still more than not are not televised and seeing those games in person trumps the Ball is Life quick hitters.

Don't specifically remember Bobre getting on people for that, but I kind've figured that's what you guys were alluding to.

And no question, I think it's great what you do Moose, and Theo and everybody else as well - getting out to see HS games.   I'm definitely going to try to see Jermaine and Chris McCullogh in person in the next year (if not over the summer).   Those two in particular, I'd like to see for myself and get a read on if all the hype about their games is legit.   

Interesting that some of the reports from IS8 were that Felix wasn't showing the best defensive skills.   I thought that was an area of strength for him?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 03:28:33 PM by desco80 »

Moose

« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2012, 03:29:58 PM »
How does being at the game give you more of an understanding of how he played than watching it on TV?

You're learning.  It'd be nice if scouts could stay home but it just doesn't work that way.

That's why I actually go and watch these kids play HS and AAU.  So I don't watch a highlight video and wax poetic.

True, but there's a difference between what you do - seeing recruits in person rather than just highlights, and watching a full game in person and watching a full game on tv.   You're not missing as much when you see a full game, even if it's on tv.   

I know.  Not sure if you knew where I was coming from but Bobre has a propensity to attack some of our fans who are displaced and not in the NYC area and can't come to games.  A full game is a full game no matter where your watching it.  As for HS and AAU yes there are more and more games on TV each year which is awesome.  But still more than not are not televised and seeing those games in person trumps the Ball is Life quick hitters.

Don't specifically remember Bobre getting on people for that, but I kind've figured that's what you guys were alluding to.

And no question, I think it's great what you do Moose, and Theo and everybody else as well - getting out to see HS games.   I'm definitely going to try to see Jermaine and Chris McCullogh in person in the next year (if not over the summer).   Those two in particular, I'd like to see for myself and get a read on if all the hype about their games is legit.   

Interesting that some of the reports from IS8 where that Felix wasn't showing the best defensive skills.   I thought that was an area of strength for him?

Not to derail this thread any more from the small chance Tobe comes here but-

Couple factors I'd guess with Felix.  First of all its AAU ball so taking games off is kind of par for the course.  2nd he has a scholarship, signed his LOI, at this point he's just really going thru the motions in many ways.  Seen that happen plenty of times. 3rd who knows what kind of D or how out of position he was playing.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2012, 11:53:04 PM »
Any word on this guy? Woold love him at Iona

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2012, 09:42:00 AM »

Interesting that some of the reports from IS8 were that Felix wasn't showing the best defensive skills.   I thought that was an area of strength for him?

You're right Desco.  I only belabored the issue with one prolific poster who's never been to a game after I was dogged quite a bit.  Then again I'm a Dodger fan and haven't journeyed to Chavez Ravine to see them.  I did catch them many times at Shea and Brooklyn however and that's the point.  I just think with our national schedule there are opportunities to see them over time "where there's a will............"