Christian Jones - PF - IMG Academy - Arlington, TX - ST. JOHN'S

• 217 replies

crgreen

Re: Christian Jones - PF - IMG Academy - Arlington, TX - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #180 on: October 24, 2012, 11:42:01 AM »
As this season unfolds, we'll find out a lot more about Christian Jones.   I'm hoping the biggest question about the kid gets answered at some point - how could he POSSIBLY fly THAT far under the radar.  I mean, we've got a top 10 kind of recruiting class, yet we're reading  multiple reports that Jones is the most impressive of the newcomers.  Even allowing for 75% hyperbole, that still begs the question - how the heck did he go unnoticed?   How could he have only 3 freaking offers?   I've been following hoops for considerably more than half a century.   You just don't see his combination of size, mass, agility, hops and atleticism  all that often.   I can MAYBE see major conference oversite.  But there are over 340 D-1 schools.   How could the coaches at least a couple HUNDRED schools have failed to offer this kid????

Since I have no actual FACTS  :) , thought I'd list some POSSIBILITIES...

* Did he perhaps also play another sport, and scouts thought that would be the direction he'd pursue in college?

* Did he have some kind of lingering injury or illness that limited him that's since been addressed?  Sometimes guys keep those things hidden, even from their coaches.

* Was he in his coach's "doghouse" for some reason - limiting his PT and on court opportunites, and sabotaging inquiries from scouts and college coaches?

* Was there another player on his team at his position who got the minutes and the attention?

*  Could there be disciplinary issues?

* Are the scouts and coaches who saw him at IMG just stupid and blind as bats?

Any other theories out there?

paultzman

« Reply #181 on: October 24, 2012, 11:43:15 AM »
As this season unfolds, we'll find out a lot more about Christian Jones.   I'm hoping the biggest question about the kid gets answered at some point - how could he POSSIBLY fly THAT far under the radar.  I mean, we've got a top 10 kind of recruiting class, yet we're reading  multiple reports that Jones is the most impressive of the newcomers.  Even allowing for 75% hyperbole, that still begs the question - how the heck did he go unnoticed?   How could he have only 3 freaking offers?   I've been following hoops for considerably more than half a century.   You just don't see his combination of size, mass, agility, hops and atleticism  all that often.   I can MAYBE see major conference oversite.  But there are over 340 D-1 schools.   How could the coaches at least a couple HUNDRED schools have failed to offer this kid????

* Did he perhaps also play another sport, and scouts thought that would be the direction he'd pursue in college?

* Did he have some kind of lingering injury or illness that limited him that's since been addressed?  Sometimes guys keep those things hidden, even from their coaches.

* Was he in his coach's "doghouse" for some reason - limiting his PT and on court opportunites, and sabotaging inquiries from scouts and college coaches?

* Was there another player on his team at his position who got the minutes and the attention?

Witness protection program?

crgreen

« Reply #182 on: October 24, 2012, 11:46:09 AM »

That's pretty much what happened to Nuri after his 2nd brother and friend were murdered - they got him a 1000 miles out of Philly, and off the basketball courts for a couple years.    But the scouts STILL found him, and still had him hyped as a "Major talent"...

paultzman

« Reply #183 on: October 24, 2012, 11:48:49 AM »

That's pretty much what happened to Nuri after his 2nd brother and friend were murdered - they got him a 1000 miles out of Philly, and off the basketball courts for a couple years.    But the scouts STILL found him, and still had him hyped as a "Major talent"...

Nuri not in witness protection because he was a "shooter" for sure!

« Reply #184 on: October 25, 2012, 01:22:56 PM »
Recent article mentioned that he was being recruited by baylor and Marquette.

Poison

« Reply #185 on: October 25, 2012, 01:29:17 PM »

Jones had some strong programs after him. It looks like schools were late to the game. That's great. It's so refreshing to be on the lucky end of this. If he turns out to be a player, it could be the kind of push we need to be an NCAA team. If you notice, Lavin says he's good at everything. And when Lavin speaks, I listen.

Moose

« Reply #186 on: October 25, 2012, 01:29:32 PM »

All of our targets seem to have Baylor after them
Remember who broke the Slice news

LJSA

« Reply #187 on: October 25, 2012, 03:32:04 PM »

All of our targets seem to have Baylor after them

They've certainly been successful lately, so I suppose that's a good thing if we win the recruiting battles against them.

paultzman

« Reply #188 on: November 04, 2012, 02:29:55 PM »
Fran knows his Texas boys;
“@franfraschilla: Watching Saint John's and though opponent was D-3, Arlington,TX native Christian Jones will be great addition. He's high energy 6-7 athlete!”

paultzman

« Reply #189 on: November 06, 2012, 10:13:18 PM »
With all recent frustration on board about Eligibility issues, can we agree staff deserves credit for this guy?

“@QSTJHoops: Lavin on Christian Jones: "Physically and mentally, he's just all there. He's built like a Sherman tank. #stjbb #LavinLines”

Moose

« Reply #190 on: November 06, 2012, 10:18:51 PM »
With all recent frustration on board about Eligibility issues, can we agree staff deserves credit for this guy?

“@QSTJHoops: Lavin on Christian Jones: "Physically and mentally, he's just all there. He's built like a Sherman tank. #stjbb #LavinLines”

No we can't give credit.
Only complain.

« Reply #191 on: November 06, 2012, 10:56:49 PM »

No we can't give credit.
Only complain.
Self serving statement by an interested party-sorry just the lawyer in me. :)

« Reply #192 on: November 06, 2012, 11:49:00 PM »
He looks great out there. If he can routinely hit that mid range shot it will be hard to keep him off the court. I have a slight concern that he wont be able to get it off against better comp.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #193 on: November 07, 2012, 10:12:24 AM »
Will reserve judgment until I see a opponent with the caliber of at least  my YWCA league.  No joke, my corporate league would have beat Concordia by 25.  I understand that we want to get these guys ready for game day expirience, but would rather scrimmage quality opponents (Georgetown scrimmaged UNC; Texas scrimmaged Davidson).   

« Reply #194 on: November 07, 2012, 11:10:29 AM »
Scrimmaging should not be about who a team plays but instead about just getting some live action.  Whether it be a professional sport or college
it is about seeing what teams have that they thought they would, and what they think they can have.  Neither of these games will give any more direction to about what kind of season we will have as a fan, and for coaches it is a chance to see some things that need to be worked on going into the season regardless of outcome.  Even if we lost, it would be by no means any indication on talent, however it would just be blown up by media and fans as the sky is falling.  We truly won't know what we have until December because of all the new faces, regardless of record come big east play.

Moose

« Reply #195 on: November 07, 2012, 11:12:50 AM »
Will reserve judgment until I see a opponent with the caliber of at least  my YWCA league.  No joke, my corporate league would have beat Concordia by 25.  I understand that we want to get these guys ready for game day expirience, but would rather scrimmage quality opponents (Georgetown scrimmaged UNC; Texas scrimmaged Davidson).   

Posts like this crack me up.  To be fair your corporate team would not by Concordia by 1 let alone 25.

Scrimmaging another school is fine.  Usually there is a closed door scrimmage but nobody would get to see anything.  In the past we have scrimmaged Drexel and a couple other teams.

« Reply #196 on: November 07, 2012, 12:12:59 PM »
Don't sleep on my corporate team were 6-0 and definetly bigger than Concordia.

Moose

« Reply #197 on: November 07, 2012, 12:16:24 PM »
Don't sleep on my corporate team were 6-0 and definetly bigger than Concordia.

How tall is your starting 5? ;)

« Reply #198 on: November 07, 2012, 12:36:10 PM »
well, we'll know in a week if lavin has this team ready to play for the regular season.  i happen to believe that the coach knows what he's doing, and that this  team is for real.  with or without all of its pieces.  i think all three newcomers have a shot at the big east all freshmen team, and i hope that they get as many minutes as possible. 

« Reply #199 on: November 07, 2012, 01:35:19 PM »
Tallest is 6-6, couple of 6-4+ guys.  A 6-2 pg and a 5-10 sg.   Average age is in the 30's (probably because I lie about my age), but we are fierce.