Christian Jones - PF - IMG Academy - Arlington, TX - ST. JOHN'S

• 217 replies

crgreen

Re: Christian Jones - PF - IMG Academy - Arlington, TX - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #200 on: November 07, 2012, 02:05:18 PM »
He looks great out there. If he can routinely hit that mid range shot it will be hard to keep him off the court. I have a slight concern that he wont be able to get it off against better comp.

I think Christian could well  struggle against elite competition.   Most frosh do :).    But looking at the rosters of the schools on our schedules, I see very few elite 4s he'll be matching up with.   

One of my  main concerns was with his quickness.   Knew he was strong, knew he could jump.  Just assumed he wasn't quick.   After the two exhibitions, I don't really have that concern.  Not based on a comparison to the opposition, but on a comparison to his TEAMMATES.   To Jakarr, to Amir,  and to Sir Dom.   I KNOW they have good D-1 quickness - and I don't see a huge drop-off when watching Jones.    I think he's going to be able to match up with the vast majority of 4s out there, can be effective against smaller 5s, and even against "average" 3s.     

Given his strength, and that midrange shot, I think he's going to easily replace Gift's 10/6 production from last year.

The one concern I have that hasn't really been addressed is attitude.  And that may not be the right word.   I always have a concern about kids who have talent, but weren't called on to PRODUCE in high school.    As a UCLA fan, that concern has proved out numerous times.   Lav's once signed the #1 SG in the country - shooting guard Ray Young, a McDonalds All American.   Everyone kept telling me how great he was.    But I'm a stat guy.  When I looked him up, he'd averaged 15 pts a game as a high school Jr, and 14 as a Senior.     After 5 years at UCLA, fans couldn't understand why the kid wasn't even a double digit scorer.   And I kept posting, what in his past made you THINK he was a scorer?  He'd never BEEN a scorer, that wasn't his mentality or "his attitude" toward the game.       Same with a few years ago - Bruins got the #20 prospect in the country - a 6'10 250 lb center out of Texas.   (This, by the way, is why I have concerns over Nerlens Noel!) - but in checking his stats, he'd never put up higher than 13 pts and 8 rebs a game.   WTF is that???   You can look him up.   J'Misson "Bobo" Morgan.   2  years at UCLA, transferred to Baylor, played one year, redshirted, will be a senior this year.    His BEST year is that Jr year at Baylor - 3 pts, 2 rebs a game.    He's got physical ability, but not the "attitude" to be productive....

I don't THINK that's going to be a problem with Jones.   He looks more like the kind of kid with a bit of a chip on his shoulder 'cause he's been PREVENTED from being "the" guy -  a player with the talent who's production is down because the coach had him defer to other players.     I think Lavs has given him freedom on offense he didn't have in high school...

Just my opinion.   It's the time of year for rose-colored speculation!

« Reply #201 on: November 07, 2012, 03:11:57 PM »
you could also point to jordan.  wasn't much of a scorer in college...relatively speaking, of course.  the running joke at the time was who was the only person who can keep jordan under 20...dean smith.  so u may be right about his coach holding him back.  but early indication is he is a good fit on this team.  still some question marks.  but i think coach is sincere when he praises this kid.  he'll be fine.  again, can't wait for the season to start.  haven't been this excited going into the season for a long while.

Marillac

« Reply #202 on: November 07, 2012, 05:08:33 PM »
You all have to realize that, as was the case with GG last season, Jones is playing against lesser competition thus far than he's played against his prior level.  GG was killing the scrub teams we faced early last year, because that was equal or less than the talent he had competed against.  Things will change as the competition increases.  I don't trust freshmen. 

crgreen

« Reply #203 on: November 07, 2012, 06:11:29 PM »
You all have to realize that, as was the case with GG last season, Jones is playing against lesser competition thus far than he's played against his prior level.  GG was killing the scrub teams we faced early last year, because that was equal or less than the talent he had competed against.  Things will change as the competition increases.  I don't trust freshmen.

I have to disagree.   Yes, he had some big games against Pan American and William and Mary.   But he also had  18pts 10 rebs against National Champion Kentucky.  20pts 7 rebs vs. Marquette.   17 pts against Pittsburg.   Was at or above his scoring or rebounding averages against Rutgers, Syracuse, Depaul, Fordham, Cincy, South Florida, Providence, Notre Dame and West Virginia.

And most of what we saw from Gift was phyical - he was stronger than a lot of players he went against.    Jones will have that advantage as well, plus superior hops and (from what I've seen) superior quickness.   Plus what looks to be a consistent midrange shot.   And actual basketball skills - in two games I've seen him feed the post effectively 5 times.   That's 5 times more than I saw ANY big feed it last year! :)

Not predicting a GREAT season.   But Gifts near 10pts and 5+ boards should be well within his wheelhouse....plus a few more assists, steals and blocks than GIft gave us (9 total assists, 14 steals, 27 blocks on the year)....
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 06:12:33 PM by crgreen »

« Reply #204 on: November 07, 2012, 06:16:52 PM »
also keep in mind that he's going against quality opposition in practice everyday.  now we don't see that...but coach does.  obviously doing well against sampson and sanchez.  we won't know for sure until the season starts, but as far as preliminary projections are concerned...who's a better analyst than lavin?

crgreen

« Reply #205 on: November 07, 2012, 06:20:35 PM »
also keep in mind that he's going against quality opposition in practice everyday.  now we don't see that...but coach does.  obviously doing well against sampson and sanchez.  we won't know for sure until the season starts, but as far as preliminary projections are concerned...who's a better analyst than lavin?

That was MY bad - I meant to point that fact out.    The staff has said Jones has been the best and most consistent of the bigs in practice.    You would assume that means he's outperforming  (or at worst, managing to "shine while working against) Samspon, Garrett, and Sanchez.   And I' not sure how often in our schedule he's going to face a team with BETTER players than those 3....

Marillac

« Reply #206 on: November 07, 2012, 06:48:30 PM »

I have to disagree.   Yes, he had some big games against Pan American and William and Mary.   But he also had  18pts 10 rebs against National Champion Kentucky.  20pts 7 rebs vs. Marquette.   17 pts against Pittsburg.   Was at or above his scoring or rebounding averages against Rutgers, Syracuse, Depaul, Fordham, Cincy, South Florida, Providence, Notre Dame and West Virginia.

And most of what we saw from Gift was phyical - he was stronger than a lot of players he went against.    Jones will have that advantage as well, plus superior hops and (from what I've seen) superior quickness.   Plus what looks to be a consistent midrange shot.   And actual basketball skills - in two games I've seen him feed the post effectively 5 times.   That's 5 times more than I saw ANY big feed it last year! :)

Not predicting a GREAT season.   But Gifts near 10pts and 5+ boards should be well within his wheelhouse....plus a few more assists, steals and blocks than GIft gave us (9 total assists, 14 steals, 27 blocks on the year)....

CR did you see the Kentucky game?  They were toying with him.  He had his shot blocked over and over. The game was a blowout and he scored points much like a fifth grader would against his high school cousin.  It wasn't even a game after five minutes.  I also vehemently disagree that GG was physical.  Yes, he is built like a truck, but his strength does not carry over to the court.  If anything he was a finesse player.  He has horrible hands and he should have never seen the court for more than 10-15 mpg last year.  I think he could have been great in a limited role. 

STJ fans tend to be irrational with expectations of new players.  Jones is not a kid that should be playing extended minutes at this point in his career.  If Lavin has to overextend his role like GG last year, we are in trouble.  This team needs Orlando Sanchez to play 20-25 minutes per game. 

I'm happy with C Jones thus far, but thinking this kid will consistently produce as a freshman against high major teams is foolish. 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 06:50:54 PM by Marillac »

Moose

« Reply #207 on: November 07, 2012, 07:17:54 PM »
STJ fans tend to be irrational with expectations of new players.  Jones is not a kid that should be playing extended minutes at this point in his career.  If Lavin has to overextend his role like GG last year, we are in trouble.  This team needs Orlando Sanchez to play 20-25 minutes per game. 

I'm happy with C Jones thus far, but thinking this kid will consistently produce as a freshman against high major teams is foolish. 

Not just STJ fans.  ALL FANBASES do that.
As for STJ they have a propensity for saying many negative things about players ;)
Remember who broke the Slice news

crgreen

« Reply #208 on: November 07, 2012, 08:32:23 PM »

CR did you see the Kentucky game?  They were toying with him.  He had his shot blocked over and over. The game was a blowout and he scored points much like a fifth grader would against his high school cousin.  It wasn't even a game after five minutes.  I also vehemently disagree that GG was physical.  Yes, he is built like a truck, but his strength does not carry over to the court.  If anything he was a finesse player.  He has horrible hands and he should have never seen the court for more than 10-15 mpg last year.  I think he could have been great in a limited role. 

Not sure where you're going with this discussion Marillac - you seem to be emphasizing MY point that Christian should pretty easily make up for the near 10 pts and 6 rebs that the Soft, Finesse, Horrible hands Gift was able to put up for us last year....

NYCoffey

« Reply #209 on: January 02, 2013, 03:58:23 PM »
1h 

Jon Rothstein ? @JonRothstein
Don't see Lavin all of the sudden giving him many minutes now that we're in Big East play but Rothstein seems to think he should.

A big key for @STJ_Basketball in the Big East? Getting more out of Christian Jones. Burly PF is an X-Factor. #stjbb

NYCoffey

« Reply #210 on: January 02, 2013, 03:59:26 PM »
I don't keep count but I think Rothstein has about 5 or 6 X factors on every team.

1h 

Jon Rothstein ? @JonRothstein

A big key for @STJ_Basketball in the Big East? Getting more out of Christian Jones. Burly PF is an X-Factor. #stjbb

gman

« Reply #211 on: January 03, 2013, 12:12:17 PM »
1h

Jon Rothstein ? @JonRothstein
Don't see Lavin all of the sudden giving him many minutes now that we're in Big East play but Rothstein seems to think he should.

I'm more of a pf than him. My guess for first transfer announcement

« Reply #212 on: January 03, 2013, 08:32:06 PM »
1h

Exactly! the body english during last nights games screamed Let me out!
 ::)       I don't care (Cuz I don't PLAY)
I also question why not give him a go since sampson struggle all night and fouled out and then you insert Bourgault :-\ who is playing well below any standard that I thought he would after all he press he got in media during preseason.
I'm just sayin
Might be selfish but I hope Dunlap gets Fired and runs back to Queens! ASAP!!! ;)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 08:33:59 PM by illscalpya4000 »

« Reply #213 on: January 03, 2013, 08:37:02 PM »
1h

Might be selfish but I hope Dunlap gets Fired and runs back to Queens! ASAP!!! ;)

Honestly, it might not be out of the question the way the Bobcats are playing.

« Reply #214 on: January 04, 2013, 01:10:09 AM »
Dunlop has a guaranteed contract meaning he gets paid full freight if fired. Why would anyone even think that if fired he would accept job at SJU when he could relax for a year or more without working. Every dollar he would make here would put nothing in his pocket and simply reduce what Bobcats had to pay him. And by the way, there is no room on current staff to take him on without firing someone. A more realistic scenario is to expect Mets to win both pennant and Series next year .

« Reply #215 on: January 04, 2013, 09:19:39 AM »
1h

I also question why not give him a go since sampson struggle all night and fouled out and then you insert Bourgault :-\ who is playing well below any standard that I thought he would after all he press he got in media during preseason.
I'm just sayin

I think your post was in jest but jones did seem into the game from what I saw. Standing, cheering, and encouraging his teammates.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #216 on: January 04, 2013, 09:20:50 PM »
1h

I'm just sayin

I think your post was in jest but jones did seem into the game from what I saw. Standing, cheering, and encouraging his teammates.

Saw same thing...I hope he gets another shot and takes advantage...I think he has skills

« Reply #217 on: January 04, 2013, 09:41:16 PM »
1h

I'm just sayin

I hope I'm wrong! :angel:
We NEED All hands on deck.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 09:43:14 PM by illscalpya4000 »