Christian Jones - PF - IMG Academy - Arlington, TX - ST. JOHN'S

• 217 replies

gman

Re: Christian Jones - PF - IMG Academy - Arlington, TX - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2012, 03:06:53 PM »
I think Lavin will want to be going at least 10-deep come mid-late season with our running, trapping and pressing style.  We will have 12 active players this season.  We will be prepared for fatigue, injury and fouls.  I see nothing wring with this pickup.  The staff must feel he's a gem that fits in somewhere here.  The fact that we don't know about doesn't mean he can't play.   I'm willing to give benefit of doubt here.  I don't think we'd add a substandard player to waste a ship here.

It's the fact that nobody knows if he can play. In this day and age its easy to find info on players. Not one service knows the kid. Just doesn't scream big east recruit

redslope

« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2012, 03:12:47 PM »
Interesting connection is now we will have 2 Players from IMG and where did Moe go to train/work on his game for his NBA tryouts?  The same IMG!

IMG originally started as tennis academy which developed a lot of major players; now into more sports; maybe not a bad feeder school.

gman

« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2012, 04:14:27 PM »
Interesting connection is now we will have 2 Players from IMG and where did Moe go to train/work on his game for his NBA tryouts?  The same IMG!

IMG originally started as tennis academy which developed a lot of major players; now into more sports; maybe not a bad feeder school.

I just saw it costs $52k a year for "school" at IMG.  Who is paying that for these kids?

Gumby

« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2012, 05:31:53 PM »
Is this the second coming of Dwight Meikle?  It sounds like it, as a prep player, with St. John's player contacts, comes from no where to being a committed recruit.  And surprises every one on this board!  How is that possible?  You have to think that Coach knows something that no other coach knows about Christian.

Poison

« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2012, 05:58:01 PM »
Is this the second coming of Dwight Meikle?  It sounds like it, as a prep player, with St. John's player contacts, comes from no where to being a committed recruit.  And surprises every one on this board!  How is that possible?  You have to think that Coach knows something that no other coach knows about Christian.

A late recruit w no rep. Could be the second coming of DJ Kennedy. Prep rankings guarantee nothing. Ask Nova how well Cheeks and Wayans panned out. They stink on ice. It's the staff that develops the good prospects into great players. Ask the endless supply of Lavin coached NBA players. Not trying to start an argument. I just believe in Lavin's system.

Moose

« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2012, 06:02:39 PM »

A late recruit w no rep. Could be the second coming of DJ Kennedy. Prep rankings guarantee nothing. Ask Nova how well Cheeks and Wayans panned out. They stink on ice. It's the staff that develops the good prospects into great players. Ask the endless supply of Lavin coached NBA players. Not trying to start an argument. I just believe in Lavin's system.

Not a good example with DJ. He was 3 star players by Rivals and ranked 134 overall
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2012, 06:10:44 PM »
Is he qualified?

gman

« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2012, 06:30:25 PM »

Dj was top 150

« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2012, 06:45:38 PM »
I forget, was Lavor Postell ranked in high school?

Moose

« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2012, 07:11:47 PM »
Someone asked Nate on Twitter if he saw Jones at IMG. He said yes and compared him to Michael Gbinije who went to Duke before transferring.
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2012, 07:14:52 PM »

Top 50

« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2012, 07:45:46 PM »

crgreen

« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2012, 08:01:58 PM »
Obviously the staff has seen something in Christian that they like.  There ARE some things that can be gleaned from a highlight reel, tho I feel pretty sure Laving and Chiles have seen him in person, and verified that during the on campus friday/saturday.     Great leaper, obviously very strong physically.  Looks like great footspeed (judging from the clips - he pulls away on breaks several times from what look like 6 foot guards chashing him).   Decent midrange shot (one highligh clip showed him hitting three 15-17 foot shots in what from the jerseys appeared to be the same game...most kids these days don't even ATTEMPT 3 midrange shots a game).  Appears to have a fine first step, and very good body control.   Looks to be very guick off the floor on 2nd jumps - again highlight clip stuff, but several times gets his own offensive reb for a putback.   Appears to have a good concept of spacing on offense.  Generally seems to be in the right place on the court.   Appears to also move well without the ball.   

Some seem concerned with his size - they're calling him a PF, and one report says 6'8, but it seems pretty obvious that's an overstatement (tho kids DO grow - at his age David Robinson was stillshort enuf to get into the Naval Academy) - but I'm guessing 6'5-6'6.

Size at the PF spot has never scared off Lavin - especially at the BACKUP Pf spot.    From the clips Jones reminds me physically very much of a poor mans version  of  former Lavin player JaRon Rush - the BEST of the three Rush brothers (Kareem and Brandon), who drank himself out of his college and pro career.  And yes, Lav's had no qualms qualms with the 6'5 1/2 210 lb Rush at PF (his natural position) or at SF.  He led the Lav's top 25 Bruin team in rebouding as a frosh, on front line that also had Dan Gadzuric, future lotto pick Jerome Moiso, and Matt Barnes.    And its worth noting, the 6'6 1/2 Matt Barnes (then now list him at 6'7 in the NBA) started for 2 years at PF - on two Sweet 16 teams - alongside SF Jason Kapono  and C Gadzuric for Steve.

Right now this kid projects as the 12th man off the bench, as the 3rd string PF (behind a College All Americn in Sanchez and a top 40 talent in Sampson).   SO there's plenty of time for him to develop.

Think of it this way - if this kid was a year older and this was a year earlier and we signed him July 1st, even tho we aleady knew our roster was Norvell Pelle, Mo Harkless, Amir Garrett, Nurideen Lindsey, Malik Stith, Sir Dom Pointer, D'Angelo Harrison, God's Gift Achiuwa, Phil Greene - we'd have likely thought he was in excess THEN, too - we should save the ride for the 2012 class.  After all, look at all the posts on there being no downside to the Meikle decommit.  Heck, Meikle would have never seen the court for us last year, right?  :)    So we finish the season with 6 bodies.   A 7th (even a Meikle or  Christian Jones - and I like the idea of Jones better) would have been a blessing.

I'm thinking the staff is simply taking no chances.   They think this kid is a legitimate 10th/11th/12th player on the bench, with a chance a couple years with Rico can turn him into something more.

Rides for next year will work out (D'lo, Sampson, Sanchez may go).   I mean, you realize the DOWNSIDE if the rides don't open up?  The DOWNSIDE is we have to play with D'lo as a Junior, Sampson as a Sophmore, and Sanchez as a Senior, instead of breaking in three freshmen, and get our freshman in the 2014 class instead.       

Chilleb

« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2012, 10:50:11 PM »
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 10:50:49 PM by Chilleb »

LJSA

« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2012, 11:07:46 PM »
He's the 12th man on the roster next season. Would I have liked for our 12th guy to be someone I've heard of, or the talentless son of a former Redmen great? Sure, but I won't criticize this move.

« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2012, 12:21:18 AM »
is it legit that he had offers from auburn and ok st?

crgreen

« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2012, 07:06:28 AM »
is it legit that he had offers from auburn and ok st?

Interesting that BOTH of those schools also have 2012  signees from IMG - Auburn has guard Brian Green, OK State has PF Kamari Murphy....And Auburn's still in it for 2012 7'0 Jordan Dickerson, also from IMG.   Wonder if Jones was considered as a package deal with any of them for those two schools?   OR when we were sweating Chandler's NCAA approval, and Obekpa's Cincy-lean, did the staff go back and take another look at Dickerson, and get a better look at Jones then?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 07:11:16 AM by crgreen »

crgreen

« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2012, 10:45:05 AM »
Brightest side to the Christian Jones verbal - SJU recruiting posts from here on out will HAVE to pertain to 2013 kids and beyond!   :D :D

« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2012, 10:45:35 AM »
He's the 12th man on the roster next season. Would I have liked for our 12th guy to be someone I've heard of, or the talentless son of a former Redmen great? Sure, but I won't criticize this move.

or the talentless son of a former Redmen great?

really? I always hate the idea of having former players coach, or having former players kids get drafted/recruited, unless they are seriously talented. It just gets weird. I hear people say they want Leetch to get an assistant job with the Rangers, Messier to be the GM, Patrick Ewing or Mark Jackson to coach the Knicks. But what happens when/if those guys can't perform the job? Now you have to fire a legend and everybody gets all weird and it just becomes an uncomfortable situation for all.

I really like this kid Jones. I think CR summed up his skillset based on that highlight reel quite nicely.

Poison

« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2012, 11:10:40 AM »

Not a good example with DJ. He was 3 star players by Rivals and ranked 134 overall

DJ was ranked higher than this kid, but the p

Top 50 recruit. Brian Mahoney recruited him.