Around Big East

• 3954 replies
Re: Around Big East
« Reply #3060 on: April 02, 2017, 08:16:11 PM »
Pete Thamel of SI.com says Georgetown is the laughingstock of Final 4:

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/04/02/georgetown-coaching-search-hoyas-thompson
We don't exactly come out smelling like a rose at the end of the article saying the hiring of Ewing may be like making the same mistake as Houston hiring Clyde Drexler and us hiring Mullin.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 08:17:10 PM by Celtics11 »

« Reply #3061 on: April 02, 2017, 08:53:36 PM »

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/04/02/georgetown-coaching-search-hoyas-thompson

Threw Mullin under the bus

« Reply #3062 on: April 02, 2017, 09:44:09 PM »

Threw Mullin under the bus

That's not the larger point.  Whatever you think of the Mullin hire it is who SJU wanted.  SJU had a plan, move on from Lavin, offer it to Mullin and if he says no go to Hurley.  They had a specific plan in place.

It is clear Georgetown did not have a plan.  They clearly did not want to fire JT3 and that is why it took 2 weeks to do it.  And because of the last minute push to fire him they have been scrambling ever since.

paultzman

« Reply #3063 on: April 03, 2017, 12:25:41 PM »

Adrian Wojnarowski‏ @WojVerticalNBA

Sources: Ewing has spent week identifying potential candidates to pursue as part of a high-level, experienced college coaching staff.

Moose

« Reply #3064 on: April 03, 2017, 02:31:52 PM »

Sources: Ewing has spent week identifying potential candidates to pursue as part of a high-level, experienced college coaching staff.

Whats that?????
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #3065 on: April 03, 2017, 02:39:46 PM »
Ewing hired

« Reply #3066 on: April 03, 2017, 02:45:25 PM »

Whats that?????
Have no fear Mo is pursuing plans to revamp his staff with Red Auerbach, Red Holtzman, and Red Klotz!

« Reply #3067 on: April 03, 2017, 02:53:47 PM »

Whats that?????
Have no fear Mo is pursuing plans to revamp his staff with Red Auerbach, Red Holtzman, and Red Klotz!

And fire Red Foxx

« Reply #3068 on: April 03, 2017, 03:11:46 PM »
Ewing hired

This is spectacular for the league!

« Reply #3069 on: April 03, 2017, 03:11:49 PM »
Ewing hired

I like it, being I'm not a fan of the Hoyas.  Meaning, I don't believe he's gonna work out for 'em in the long run.  This has John Thompson, Sr. written all over it.  Frankly, their coaching search was a sham and fait accompli.

He'll initially generate some hype, as we saw with Mullin.  But, it doesn't take long before the hype train to come to a crawl, if wins aren't being garnered.

IMO, this is a placated move and an attempt to relive the 80's.  Good luck to 'em!  NATE!

« Reply #3070 on: April 03, 2017, 03:14:33 PM »
Ewing hired

I like it, being I'm not a fan of the Hoyas.  Meaning, I don't believe he's gonna work out for 'em in the long run.  This has John Thompson, Sr. written all over it.  Frankly, their coaching search was a sham and fait accompli.

He'll initially generate some hype, as we saw with Mullin.  But, it doesn't take long before the hype train to come to a crawl, if wins aren't being garnered.

IMO, this is a placated move and an attempt to relive the 80's.  Good luck to 'em!  NATE!

This is nothing like SJU.  Ewing HAS COACHING EXPERIENCE. Plus, the NBA experience.  Yes, he'll have to prove himself, but if he surrounds himself with the right staff, I'd expect them to have immediate success.

gio
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 03:14:55 PM by redmen4life »

« Reply #3071 on: April 03, 2017, 03:14:54 PM »
Ewing hired

Couldn't agree more. Ewing got the job by default because the 7 or so they pursued turned it down. Program will be in the quicksand as long as JT moping around. DePaul must be happy

« Reply #3072 on: April 03, 2017, 03:19:04 PM »
Ewing hired

This is nothing like SJU.  Ewing HAS EXPERIENCE. Plus, the NBA experience.  Yes, he'll have to prove himself, but if he surrounds himself with the right staff, I'd expect them to have immediate success.

gio

I never said, it was like St. John's.  I still believe there were better options than Ewing.  If his name wasn't Patrick Ewing, then Georgetown would've never looked into hiring an NBA assistant coach. 

I'm not one who believe he'll have immediate success.  But, that's just me.

« Reply #3073 on: April 03, 2017, 03:21:16 PM »
Maybe he hires Mike Jarvis as Associate Head Coach.

« Reply #3074 on: April 03, 2017, 03:23:28 PM »
Ewing hired

Couldn't agree more. Ewing got the job by default because the 7 or so they pursued turned it down. Program will be in the quicksand as long as JT moping around. DePaul must be happy

Based on what I heard, they didn't pursue that many coaches.  They only pursued Smart, Amaker, Cooley, and placed out feelers to Brey.  I think their attempt to go after Chris Mack was a farce, as they more than likely knew Mack wasn't gonna depart from Xavier to go to Georgetown.

I think Ewing was always in the forefront, but they had to do their "due diligence," per se'. 

« Reply #3075 on: April 03, 2017, 03:23:44 PM »

Or Allen Iverson

« Reply #3076 on: April 03, 2017, 03:50:19 PM »

Or Allen Iverson

Heard that is actually a possibility

« Reply #3077 on: April 03, 2017, 03:53:19 PM »

Or Allen Iverson

Heard that is actually a possibility

Practice?

Wods317

« Reply #3078 on: April 03, 2017, 03:57:25 PM »
This is high ceiling, low floor hire to me. It could work out great or it could be a struggle. A more established coach would probably give you a better sense of a positive future but I think it will end up working well. I think bigs will want to get coached by Patrick. Similar to our situation except that Ewing has more a lot of experience as an assistant coach. He needs a strong recruiter and bench coach like most first time college coaches do.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 03:57:57 PM by Wods317 »

« Reply #3079 on: April 03, 2017, 04:03:15 PM »
Ewing hired

Sounds eerily familiar
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!