Around Big East

• 3954 replies
Re: Around Big East
« Reply #3240 on: October 29, 2017, 01:31:38 PM »
Another point on this;  the two kids the Hall landed weren't exactly highly sought after recruits.   The Hall only went after them hard recently because they struck out on a bunch of kids from Jersey and elsewhere that they targeted.

Nelson is the bigger recruit, and from what I've read I would have been happy if we landed him, but this isn't someone coming into NYC and landing a kid of Ponds stature.  The staff recruited Nelson to some degree, but perhaps there wasn't mutual interest because we have 5 underclassmen at the guard position already in the fold and were/are heavily recruiting both Luther and Williams.  Even if Lovett leaves, that may not be as ideal from Nelson's standpoint as a situation like the Hall, in which you have no comp next year at the PG slot except for a current freshman (in Walker) with Carrington's departure.

« Reply #3241 on: October 29, 2017, 01:56:05 PM »
Another point on this;  the two kids the Hall landed weren't exactly highly sought after recruits.   The Hall only went after them hard recently because they struck out on a bunch of kids from Jersey and elsewhere that they targeted.

Nelson is the bigger recruit, and from what I've read I would have been happy if we landed him, but this isn't someone coming into NYC and landing a kid of Ponds stature.  The staff recruited Nelson to some degree, but perhaps there wasn't mutual interest because we have 5 underclassmen at the guard position already in the fold and were/are heavily recruiting both Luther and Williams.  Even if Lovett leaves, that may not be as ideal from Nelson's standpoint as a situation like the Hall, in which you have no comp next year at the PG slot except for a current freshman (in Walker) with Carrington's departure.

+1

redslope

« Reply #3242 on: October 29, 2017, 01:58:42 PM »
Doesn't change the score much, but don't forget, besides Ponds, Boubacar Diakite is local out of HS too.

Also it's been 2.5 years, not 4. and hard to count that recruiting period of April 2015-Sept 2015 as it was playing totally from behind.

And Yakwe came from Our Savior.  PS--while a transfer--Bash is from the Bronx.

« Reply #3243 on: October 29, 2017, 02:33:36 PM »
Exactly.  We always have this debate.  Right now there are 4 NYC kids, three of whom are among our top 7 players.  And we had Wilson in the fold until everything transpired, a local 4 star. 

If I'm choosing between a out-of-state kid like Simon or a three-star NY player, I'm taking Simon every day. 

I want us to land local kids.  We need to land SOME local kids.  But it needs to be the right fit.  I don't think the staff is neglecting NY, as the last one seemed to do all too often.

If you are deciding between two comparable players, one that is local and one that is outside NY, I'd probably prefer the local kid because I think he'd be less likely to transfer.  But even then, as we saw with Sid Wilson and have seen with many others, there is a risk in kids deciding after-the-fact that they want to be away from NY, just as there is an allure for kids from outside NY to play in NYC (if Lavin proved anything, it was that).

« Reply #3244 on: October 29, 2017, 02:41:17 PM »
Lest we forget, Louie had a lot of transfers and did well with them...

Reggie Carter, Walter Berry, Matt Brust, Boo Harvey. Later we had Bootsy and Marcus Hatten. City kids want to get away from the City. There are other kids who would want to play in the City and the Big East. We just have to find those kids. So far, we have attracted Clark, Simon, Mikey Dixon and the big man from South Carolina.

To be honest, we really shouldn't count the first year, the Durand Johnson/Ron M'voika squad. That had to be assembled in like 90 days or so. Gabe Kaplan in "Fastbreak" type scenario.

cjfish

« Reply #3245 on: October 29, 2017, 04:21:46 PM »
If SJU cant pass the Hall in the recruiting battle there will be big problems.....other than getting Ponds we are being hammered locally.....I thought with the hiring of Mullin and Richmond we would dominate locally by now

We're not ready to pass Hall yet locally.  SH has back to back tourney appearances and also won a BE champ in 2016. 

In the meantime, I'm OK with a steady flow of 3 to 5 star transfers and some non-local 3-4 star HS recruits.  Recruiting locally only works if the kids we want, actually want to stay local.   The country is big and we should not limit ourselves to a few kids within a 30 min drive.

I agree that we have t explore all options but local should dominate.  NY and NJ are still a hotbed of talent and we need our share+.  Got to start with the great kids in Jr. High and do what is legally necessary.  Also, local recruiting is good for the budget.  Yeah, the Hall has made the torney lately but they do not have two hall of famers on the bench and I would take QUeens over S. Orange any day.   

« Reply #3246 on: October 30, 2017, 02:02:57 AM »

Seton Hall also got Syracuse transfer Taurean Thompson (from New York).

« Reply #3247 on: October 30, 2017, 10:25:11 AM »
I thought he was a St. Anthony's/Jersey City kid?  They went after him hard during high school and he spurned them for the Cuse.  I'm sure they stayed in his ear and was a very good transfer land IMO.

paultzman

« Reply #3248 on: October 30, 2017, 11:09:02 AM »
I thought he was a St. Anthony's/Jersey City kid?  They went after him hard during high school and he spurned them for the Cuse.  I'm sure they stayed in his ear and was a very good transfer land IMO.
Harlem kid

« Reply #3249 on: November 08, 2017, 06:19:26 PM »
He never signed with Xavier, so I hope we give him a look.

Corey Evans‏
@coreyevans_10
2018 big man Kentrevious Jones has told Rivals that he has reopened his college recruitment; one time Xavier pledge attending Notre Dame Prep for his prep year

QuanMan

« Reply #3250 on: November 13, 2017, 12:31:00 PM »
Patrick Ewing Retweeted Mark Jackson

Appreciate it, @MarkJackson13! You coming when we play St John's in January? I'll have some Georgetown gear ready for you.

Perhaps Pat is our unexpected bridge to rekindling Mark Jackson's relationship with the program?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 12:31:27 PM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #3251 on: November 13, 2017, 12:42:39 PM »
Patrick Ewing Retweeted Mark Jackson

Appreciate it, @MarkJackson13! You coming when we play St John's in January? I'll have some Georgetown gear ready for you.

Perhaps Pat is our unexpected bridge to rekindling Mark Jackson's relationship with the program?
Forget the Georgetown gear Patrick. Starting trash can fires is illegal in NYC.

paultzman

« Reply #3252 on: November 13, 2017, 12:50:33 PM »
LoVett made weekly BE Honor Roll

QuanMan

« Reply #3253 on: November 13, 2017, 01:56:16 PM »
Gavitt Games opener Minnesota@Providence tips later on tn in what should be a high level, evenly matched game. Two upperclassmen ridden, battle tested tourney teams clashing. Over 10k expected at the Dunk.

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/20171112/it-will-be-all-business-for-richard-pitino-in-ri-return?rssfeed=true
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #3254 on: November 13, 2017, 07:32:03 PM »
There is no way Minnesota should be 14 and Providence should be unranked, but after watching the first half of this game and our game against New Orleans you can really tell the difference between a well coached team and us.

« Reply #3255 on: November 13, 2017, 08:13:31 PM »
There is no way Minnesota should be 14 and Providence should be unranked, but after watching the first half of this game and our game against New Orleans you can really tell the difference between a well coached team and us.

Murphy is a balla for the Gophers.

paultzman

« Reply #3256 on: November 13, 2017, 08:22:42 PM »

+100

Marillac

« Reply #3257 on: November 13, 2017, 08:24:16 PM »

Scoring at will on Bullock.

Marillac

« Reply #3258 on: November 13, 2017, 08:26:51 PM »
Cooley seems to have his teams well prepared, but his in-game coaching is very suspect.

« Reply #3259 on: November 13, 2017, 08:33:37 PM »
Cooley seems to have his teams well prepared, but his in-game coaching is very suspect.

I could be wrong, but I just sense he's gonna have the 'Marty Schottenheimer Syndrome.'  He'll have his squad consistently compete, and they'll even overachieve when you think they're not up to snuff.  He'll go to his share of NCAA Tournaments, but will fall flat. 

Maybe, subconsciously, I too believe he's somewhat suspect when it comes to in-game coaching.  Time will tell, though.

On that note, this game is over.  It would've been a solid win for the conference.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 08:34:22 PM by mjdinkins »