Around Big East

• 3954 replies
Re: around the big east
« Reply #1200 on: July 20, 2013, 11:41:40 PM »
I think it's terrible that we considered programs like Seton Hall and Depaul to be reputable D1 programs when deciding who would make up this conference.

The point isn't that VCU is better than Depaul. The point is that Depaul should be asked to earn their place in our conference. We were held accountable for the crimes that Harrington committed. Depaul is a disgrace, and their name recognition needs to go the way of the dinosaur.

History is fine, but everything dies, and if this conference is to have any chance of success, they need to man up, and judge each member by what they offer. And if it's nothing, the MAAC is waiting. Seton Hall would be perfect.

All it takes is the right coach to turn them around, Seton Hall & DePaul have plenty to offer

paultzman

« Reply #1201 on: July 22, 2013, 10:38:45 AM »
Seems like a good passing team with decent players surrounding an AA.

“@ShaneInROC: Taking a Look at #Creighton 's 2013-14 Roster - solid lineup with a pretty darn good player --Blog-- http://playforthegarden.com/2013/07/22/taking-a-look-at-creightons-2013-14-roster/

paultzman

« Reply #1202 on: July 22, 2013, 01:24:06 PM »
From Fran SI interview;

SI.com: One story that everyone is interested in is realignment. You were part of the last era at St. John’s where they were really nationally relevant. How much of a help do you think it will be for programs like St. John’s, DePaul, Providence in getting out of the mega-Big East under the impact of the football schools?

FF: I think there’s going to be an aspect of the realignment that’s going to help them in their Big East, but honestly, and I say this as a partisan, the fact that the Big East will not be on ESPN is going to be a detriment to them, at least in the early going as FOX gets their network up and running, because I can’t imagine they’re going to get the kind of exposure they deserve based on the history and tradition of those programs. So that will be interesting to see how that plays out.

You’ve seen it to a lesser degree with the Mountain West and how little exposure really good teams have gotten the last five to 10 years, so I’ll be anxious to see, despite with my buddy Bill Raftery being over there, how that all shakes not. Not from a network competition standpoint, but just in terms of exposure of that conference.

It’s never going to be the same as long as you don’t have the rivalries of the Notre Dames and the Syracuses and the Pittsburghs. That’s what made that league so spectacular over 30 years, so I’m anxious to see how the Big East, in particular, with all basketball-playing schools, whether it can thrive or not given it will be one of the few conferences that’s basketball only.

“@tsnmike: My friend @AndyGlockner interviews my friend @FranFraschilla. How can that not be worth your time? http://college-basketball.si.com/2013/07/22/fran-fraschilla/ via @SI_NCAABB”

« Reply #1203 on: July 22, 2013, 01:32:28 PM »
He's just spewing the same crap all the ESPN guys are.

Moose

« Reply #1204 on: July 22, 2013, 01:58:58 PM »
He's just spewing the same crap all the ESPN guys are.

And he's dumb enough to explicitly mention the ESPN/Fox connection.  The other guys are sly enough to avoid it though we all know it exists.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #1205 on: July 22, 2013, 02:16:05 PM »
From Fran SI interview;

SI.com: One story that everyone is interested in is realignment. You were part of the last era at St. John’s where they were really nationally relevant. How much of a help do you think it will be for programs like St. John’s, DePaul, Providence in getting out of the mega-Big East under the impact of the football schools?

FF: I think there’s going to be an aspect of the realignment that’s going to help them in their Big East, but honestly, and I say this as a partisan, the fact that the Big East will not be on ESPN is going to be a detriment to them, at least in the early going as FOX gets their network up and running, because I can’t imagine they’re going to get the kind of exposure they deserve based on the history and tradition of those programs. So that will be interesting to see how that plays out.

You’ve seen it to a lesser degree with the Mountain West and how little exposure really good teams have gotten the last five to 10 years, so I’ll be anxious to see, despite with my buddy Bill Raftery being over there, how that all shakes not. Not from a network competition standpoint, but just in terms of exposure of that conference.

It’s never going to be the same as long as you don’t have the rivalries of the Notre Dames and the Syracuses and the Pittsburghs. That’s what made that league so spectacular over 30 years, so I’m anxious to see how the Big East, in particular, with all basketball-playing schools, whether it can thrive or not given it will be one of the few conferences that’s basketball only.

“@tsnmike: My friend @AndyGlockner interviews my friend @FranFraschilla. How can that not be worth your time? http://college-basketball.si.com/2013/07/22/fran-fraschilla/ via @SI_NCAABB”
he nails the problem...and the greek chorus comes in to trash him.

Moose

« Reply #1206 on: July 22, 2013, 02:18:57 PM »
From Fran SI interview;

yawn...........

« Reply #1207 on: July 22, 2013, 03:15:54 PM »
Will there be games televised on the Fox proper (something akin to the current CBS national cbb coverage)?  Even 1 weekly marquee game on Saturdays during conference play with Raftery and Johnson would go a long way.

Is the expectation that sportscenter will not show BE highlights?

paultzman

« Reply #1208 on: July 22, 2013, 03:17:03 PM »
“@AdamZagoria: Providence’s Cooley: ‘We want to recruit the best players in the country’ http://zagsblog.com/providence/providences-cooley-we-want-to-recruit-the-best-players-in-the-country/

MCNPA

« Reply #1209 on: July 22, 2013, 03:18:41 PM »
From Fran SI interview;

What problem?  Fox sports is launching an entirely different scale of network and he compares our league to the Mountain West?  C'mon Newsie.  It's easy to see that this is just a jab at the league and Fox.  No rivalries like Notre Dame?  Who's rival has Notre Dame been?  I don't think we'll miss Pitt much either.  I think Syracuse and Uconn are big losses but we added some good bball schools.  We still have rivals like Nova, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence etc.  New ones will be built.

What you don't seem to grasp Newsie, is that this is the best case scenario by far for all the bball-only schools.  This is as happy an ending and anyof us could have hoped for.  The basketball will be very good, the money is coming in and we are on a real network with great network deal as well as MSG. 

Franny is just spitting out the company line basically saying we'll be obsolete if not playing on the network that he is a mouthpiece for. 

RedVet

« Reply #1210 on: July 22, 2013, 03:50:34 PM »
I think it's terrible that we considered programs like Seton Hall and Depaul to be reputable D1 programs when deciding who would make up this conference.

The point isn't that VCU is better than Depaul. The point is that Depaul should be asked to earn their place in our conference. We were held accountable for the crimes that Harrington committed. Depaul is a disgrace, and their name recognition needs to go the way of the dinosaur.

History is fine, but everything dies, and if this conference is to have any chance of success, they need to man up, and judge each member by what they offer. And if it's nothing, the MAAC is waiting. Seton Hall would be perfect.

All it takes is the right coach to turn them around, Seton Hall & DePaul have plenty to offer

The Seton Hall Rivals board is heating up with rumors of the possible hiring of a third assistant who, in the words of some posters (who are obviously jacked up), is a "wowser," "who would wipe the floor with Savino," and would provide "potentially big recruiting ... in a locale we've been lacking with Willard." Apparently there are hints of who he is on their pay forum (which I'm certainly not about to sign up for). Barry Rohrssen immediately came to mind -- something I'd hate to see -- but I thought he's set at Pitt. Just wondering if anyone's heard anything about this and, if so, who the mystery recruiter might be.

« Reply #1211 on: July 22, 2013, 05:08:22 PM »
Wasn't Fred Hill supposed to do that?

RedVet

« Reply #1212 on: July 22, 2013, 05:11:36 PM »
Wasn't Fred Hill supposed to do that?

Hill was for the NJ connection. They haven't been able to recruit in NY lately.

« Reply #1213 on: July 22, 2013, 10:11:03 PM »
From Fran SI interview;

What problem?  Fox sports is launching an entirely different scale of network and he compares our league to the Mountain West?  C'mon Newsie.  It's easy to see that this is just a jab at the league and Fox.  No rivalries like Notre Dame?  Who's rival has Notre Dame been?  I don't think we'll miss Pitt much either.  I think Syracuse and Uconn are big losses but we added some good bball schools.  We still have rivals like Nova, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence etc.  New ones will be built.

What you don't seem to grasp Newsie, is that this is the best case scenario by far for all the bball-only schools.  This is as happy an ending and anyof us could have hoped for.  The basketball will be very good, the money is coming in and we are on a real network with great network deal as well as MSG. 

Franny is just spitting out the company line basically saying we'll be obsolete if not playing on the network that he is a mouthpiece for. 
first, marcus, fran isn't saying we'll be obsolete.
he says there will be an aspect that will help us.  that aspect is a weaker league.  you have to agree we really hadn't been competitive in the big east, with the exception of lavin's year one, since jarvis was our coach.  a much weaker big east will give us a temporary boost.  after that, players who are acc, big ten, sec, etc quality will opt for those big time conferences over us.  we'll compete with the mountain west and the aac and the atlantic ten for the leftovers.  we'll have no shot at being a perennial top ten program.  we'll be a perennial top twenty five, probably as long as we have lavin.

on some level, not being on espn will hurt.  who knows where we can find fox?  we'll look, but most viewers won't.  that's fran's point.  i'm glad we went to fox because of the backstabbing paper bags at espn and because fox supposedly broke the bank to get the league.  however, exposure is important.  having little exposure is a league killer.  you know that.

rivalries are important.  that's one reason the league should have at least sixteen teams.  we shouldn't have to crap in our pants when a coach leaves one of our schools for a better job.  the already weak league got softer with the stevens departure.  this shouldn't happen.

in other words, a minute shouldn't go by without the league heavily promoting itself...and looking for serious programs to join.  no matter what the greek chorus says, this year's version of the big east isn't as good as it was in the recent past.  it could be, but it's not.
this wasn't a case of fran shilling for espn.  someone asked him a serious question and he gave a serious answer.

« Reply #1214 on: July 22, 2013, 10:13:12 PM »

how were we held accountable?  we put seton hall quality crap on the floor and picked up checks from the conference.  we'd still be stinking out college basketball if not for mike repole.

RedVet

« Reply #1215 on: July 22, 2013, 10:21:45 PM »
Fran is right: it's not -- at least initially -- a good thing for us not to be on ESPN. Fox 1 won't reach nearly as many homes as ESPN does, at least not in its early stages, plus it's a given for kids to watch college BB on ESPN. We'll have to wait and see ... but with talk of a new Division 4, who knows what the future holds. 
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 10:23:41 PM by RedVet »

Moose

« Reply #1216 on: July 22, 2013, 10:25:08 PM »
From Fran SI interview;

first, marcus, fran isn't saying we'll be obsolete.
he says there will be an aspect that will help us.  that aspect is a weaker league.  you have to agree we really hadn't been competitive in the big east, with the exception of lavin's year one, since jarvis was our coach.  a much weaker big east will give us a temporary boost.  after that, players who are acc, big ten, sec, etc quality will opt for those big time conferences over us.  we'll compete with the mountain west and the aac and the atlantic ten for the leftovers.  we'll have no shot at being a perennial top ten program.  we'll be a perennial top twenty five, probably as long as we have lavin.

on some level, not being on espn will hurt.  who knows where we can find fox?  we'll look, but most viewers won't.  that's fran's point.  i'm glad we went to fox because of the backstabbing paper bags at espn and because fox supposedly broke the bank to get the league.  however, exposure is important.  having little exposure is a league killer.  you know that.

rivalries are important.  that's one reason the league should have at least sixteen teams.  we shouldn't have to crap in our pants when a coach leaves one of our schools for a better job.  the already weak league got softer with the stevens departure.  this shouldn't happen.

in other words, a minute shouldn't go by without the league heavily promoting itself...and looking for serious programs to join.  no matter what the greek chorus says, this year's version of the big east isn't as good as it was in the recent past.  it could be, but it's not.
this wasn't a case of fran shilling for espn.  someone asked him a serious question and he gave a serious answer.

Arguably your most level headed response on this sore subject of yours.

No question it will be easier to stand out in a 10-12 team league as opposed to 16.  However as I mentioned to you on the other board is a recent post to say kids will only go to those other conferences is complete BS.  Look at all the Top 100, 50, even 25 kids listing schools in the new Big East.  These kids are basketball players.  We are basketball schools.  There are many schools in the other 'big' conferences that suck at basketball and regardless of what conference they are in it won't help their cause.  Lastly as for your perennial Top 10 vs. Top 25 statement, someone will have to look but most teams I'm sure fall into the latter as Top 10 is too unpredictable this day in age.  It's too dynamic.

Fox is Fox.  This isn't Versus when they launched post NHL lockout in 30M homes.  They are taking channels with distribution upwards of 80-90M and rebranding them.  And will promote the hell out of it via Fox and all the regional networks they have a piece of.

So wait, now you want 16 teams?  I mean I always knew you wanted more teams.  I think you even suggested like 30 in a previous post.  10-12 makes it manageable.  Why invite everyone and their mother?  Please share a list of 4-6 'serious' programs you'd want to see join and please don't bother suggesting a school that plays D1 Football.

*By the way for someone born in the last 30 years what the hell is a greek chorus?

« Reply #1217 on: July 23, 2013, 12:58:53 AM »
Let's remember, that when the old Big East was formed in 1979, nobody knew what this "ESPN channel" that we signed up with was, and many people thought cable TV would not last.  I don't know how many homes ESPN was in at the time, but it was not many.  A lot of people thought the league would never establish any credibility with that TV contract.

Well, you know what happened?  We fooled them then, and we're going to do it again.  Maybe not right away, but sooner rather then later.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 12:59:26 AM by sju61982 »

LJSA

« Reply #1218 on: July 23, 2013, 01:22:13 AM »
Let's remember, that when the old Big East was formed in 1979, nobody knew what this "ESPN channel" that we signed up with was

I knew what it was. It was my go-to source for all roller derby, all the time. ;D

« Reply #1219 on: July 23, 2013, 09:39:23 AM »
When it comes to business, Murdoch doesn't go into these ventures to lose.  It's
up to the league and it's members to do the rest.  Make some noise and the hand
remotes will follow.  Also, I expect the cable stations will move the two Fox sport
stations into the sports groupings with station numbers within that grouping.
On Verizon HD 570-598, Speed is 583 and I expect Fuel will be moved down into this range.
Fox has 584 already and 581-2 is not utilized.