Around Big East

• 3954 replies
Re: around the big east
« Reply #1260 on: August 02, 2013, 01:17:05 PM »
You're playing Oregon, right?

« Reply #1261 on: August 02, 2013, 05:47:37 PM »
You're playing Oregon, right?

yeah Nike University they get invites because of Nike, but they're also a top 25 team next year so they're a good opponent as well.

LJSA

« Reply #1262 on: August 02, 2013, 06:20:10 PM »
Early season non conference games are largely forgotten by the time the selection committee meets in march.  I wouldn't tell coach he should schedule them, but if he does I don't think it amounts to much either way.

I don't see that much difference in playing a quality opponent on an army base in Asia versus going to Maui or Puerto Rico and playing one quality team and one cupcake.   

All else being equal though Id rather he keep the guys on the same practice schedule, and eliminate unnecessary distractions.  That's why I think the whole not leaving NYC till January is an awesome way to open the season. (Minus South Dakota obviously). 

The 28+ hours flying time round trip between DC and Seoul would, more than any other road trip this year by any team, qualify as an unnecessary distraction.

I think the publicity out weighs any "distraction" these games cause. You only get invited to participate in these games if you're big time and playing them keeps you big time.

Fans older than 12 get excited about these type games?

« Reply #1263 on: August 02, 2013, 06:37:12 PM »
Early season non conference games are largely forgotten by the time the selection committee meets in march.  I wouldn't tell coach he should schedule them, but if he does I don't think it amounts to much either way.

I don't see that much difference in playing a quality opponent on an army base in Asia versus going to Maui or Puerto Rico and playing one quality team and one cupcake.   

All else being equal though Id rather he keep the guys on the same practice schedule, and eliminate unnecessary distractions.  That's why I think the whole not leaving NYC till January is an awesome way to open the season. (Minus South Dakota obviously). 

The 28+ hours flying time round trip between DC and Seoul would, more than any other road trip this year by any team, qualify as an unnecessary distraction.

I think the publicity out weighs any "distraction" these games cause. You only get invited to participate in these games if you're big time and playing them keeps you big time.

Um yes? These games get heavily promoted. The "type" of game doesn't even matter. People get excited for compelling match ups that are rammed down their throat. They're also great for the team providing them with a great learning opportunity by visiting a country they likely would never get a chance to visit with out this type of game.

desco80

« Reply #1264 on: August 03, 2013, 12:21:45 AM »

Um yes? These games get heavily promoted. The "type" of game doesn't even matter. People get excited for compelling match ups that are rammed down their throat. They're also great for the team providing them with a great learning opportunity by visiting a country they likely would never get a chance to visit with out this type of game.

Between Asia, Puerto Rico, and any other non conference games you play, your team is spending most of November away from campus, and at least 2+ of those weeks will be out of country; not in August.. this is after the season starts and smack in the middle of the academic semester.   It's not at all the awesome situation you're making it out to be.  Could be good, could be bad, but I would certainly have reservations if my team was jet setting across the globe the whole first month of the season.   

« Reply #1265 on: August 03, 2013, 10:41:58 AM »

Between Asia, Puerto Rico, and any other non conference games you play, your team is spending most of November away from campus, and at least 2+ of those weeks will be out of country; not in August.. this is after the season starts and smack in the middle of the academic semester.   It's not at all the awesome situation you're making it out to be.  Could be good, could be bad, but I would certainly have reservations if my team was jet setting across the globe the whole first month of the season.

::)

Call me cynical but I feel like you'd be singing a different tune if it were your team participating.

I honestly don't see what problems there could be: Jet lag? Meh they're young. practice time? Seems like there's plenty of time. School work? They can do work on the plane. Most of our players went to china and Maui they're used to the travel. I see no reason they need to be on campus for any sort of comfort level we only have 1 freshman on the team. We finally have an experienced team. Like St. John's we've been young for the last 3 years. I can't see any risks in playing these games.

paultzman

« Reply #1266 on: August 07, 2013, 07:54:50 AM »
2. New Big East commissioner Val Ackerman said the Big East is a few weeks away from finishing the conference schedule. The old Big East was traditionally one of the last conferences to get their schedule out because of pro commitments in arenas. The Big East and Fox Sports 1 teased the schedule in late June with the announcement of a five-game, New Year's Eve lineup starting at noon with St. John's at Xavier; followed at 2:30 p.m. with Seton Hall at Providence and then DePaul at Georgetown at 5 p.m., followed by Villanova at Butler at 7:30 p.m. and then closing with a headliner of Marquette at Creighton at 10 p.m. EST. Ackerman said she is still looking to make a significant number of hires, especially a full-time person to deal with television relationships. Former Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe continues to act as a consultant for the league and has helped in championship planning. Ackerman is working from a makeshift office in Manhattan but is still searching for long-term office space.

“@eamonnbrennan: 3-point shot: Calipari finds freshmen leaders http://es.pn/174tezl

paultzman

« Reply #1267 on: August 08, 2013, 12:51:39 PM »
Opens another scholarship;

“@jmverlin: Villanova announces sophomore guard Mislav Brozja is transferring: http://cityofbasketballlove.com/2013/08/brozja-to-transfer-from-villanova/

« Reply #1268 on: August 08, 2013, 12:55:05 PM »
Nova has at least 7 guards on their roster next year.

paultzman

« Reply #1269 on: August 08, 2013, 03:39:51 PM »
We'll see;

“@CBTonNBC: Is Josh Smith turning the corner at Georgetown? http://wp.me/p1aWjM-1Y8d

paultzman

« Reply #1270 on: August 09, 2013, 12:53:34 PM »
GT progress profiles from summer league play;

“@Hoyas247: 2013 Kenner League Report Cards http://georgetown.247sports.com/Article/2013-Kenner-League-Report-Cards-143233 via @247Sports (FREE) #Hoyas”

paultzman

« Reply #1271 on: August 14, 2013, 12:23:58 PM »

New Big East Conf ‏@NewBigEastConf 3h
Potentially devastating news for #VillanovaWildcats JayVaughn Pinkston. #BigEast
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 12:24:27 PM by paultzman »

paultzman

« Reply #1273 on: August 14, 2013, 02:45:12 PM »
Speaking of the Big East, how does the ‘new’ conference look attendance-wise?

Creighton    17,155
Marquette   15,033
Georgetown   10,911
Xavier   9,781
Villanova   8,022
Butler   7,899
Providence   7,772
DePaul   7,681
St. John’s   7,330
Seton Hall   7,035

Creighton is head and shoulders above the pack and will most likely see another boost this season with the influx of higher-profile teams into Omaha. Expect St. John’s to see a nice leap this season as they look to have a borderline NCAA team and fell 13% from 2012 last season. They are a key cog in the overall perception of the league. There might be a drop-off with Georgetown and Villanova with the loss of some close rivalry games, but it shouldn’t be steep if there at all.

This conference would have ranked fifth in the country in attendance with a 9,862 per-game average just below the ACC’s 9,990 average and the Big 12′s 10,289 average.   

“@PaintTouches: [New to PT] Marquette attendance down a tad; second best in Big East #mubb http://painttouches.com/2013/08/14/marquette-attendance-second-best-in-big-east/
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 02:45:40 PM by paultzman »

paultzman

« Reply #1274 on: August 16, 2013, 12:51:49 PM »
Big loss;
“@zkeefer: Breaking: #Butler junior Roosevelt Jones is out for the season after tearing ligaments in his left wrist, a source has told The Star.”

LJSA

« Reply #1275 on: August 16, 2013, 07:28:56 PM »
Big loss;
“@zkeefer: Breaking: #Butler junior Roosevelt Jones is out for the season after tearing ligaments in his left wrist, a source has told The Star.”

He's the guy who hit the shot against Gonzaga, right? One of the best games I watched all season .

paultzman

« Reply #1276 on: August 16, 2013, 08:52:32 PM »
“@KevinMcNamara33: With Angel Delgado picking Seton Hall Hall, Big East now has 8 ESPN Top 100 verbals. Excluding Ohio State, Big 10 has 1.”

crgreen

« Reply #1277 on: August 17, 2013, 03:50:27 AM »
“@KevinMcNamara33: With Angel Delgado picking Seton Hall Hall, Big East now has 8 ESPN Top 100 verbals. Excluding Ohio State, Big 10 has 1.”

Wassup with the "excluding Ohio State"? 

MCNPA

« Reply #1278 on: August 17, 2013, 05:52:25 AM »

Don't know, but our league overall is recruiting quite well since the split, and that is with SJU having zero top 100 commits right now.  Encouraging for our league.  Now I'd just like to see SJU get involved with a few.

« Reply #1279 on: August 17, 2013, 09:16:47 PM »

Probably because they must have numerous top recruits and writer was trying to make the point that Big Ten is not doing that well compared to BE. Sort of like saying except for that one pitch where the pitcher gave up a grand slam he pitched great. I always think it is silly to do this.