Around Big East

• 3954 replies

desco80

Re: around the big east
« Reply #1340 on: September 25, 2013, 10:06:42 PM »
Xavier got a commitment from a four star PF today and;

@EvanDanielsFOX: The ACC has 17 top 100 recruits for the 2014 class. Big East now up to 14. There are still 34 available top 100 recruits.

That's pretty impressive.
But does the BE get more notoriety having their top100  talent spread out, or if we had one or two flagship programs like Kansas in the big 12. Arizona or UCLA in the PAC 12 etc.? 

paultzman

« Reply #1341 on: September 26, 2013, 08:05:24 AM »
“@JonRothstein: Villanova isn't being mentioned as a contender at the top of the Big East - but they should. Cats' sum is greater than its parts.”

@JonRothstein: Early prediction on Villanova starting five --- Ryan Arcidiacono, Darrun Hilliard, James Bell, Jayvaughn Pinkston, Daniel Ochefu...

MCNPA

« Reply #1342 on: September 26, 2013, 08:49:41 AM »

@EvanDanielsFOX: The ACC has 17 top 100 recruits for the 2014 class. Big East now up to 14. There are still 34 available top 100 recruits.

But does the BE get more notoriety having their top100  talent spread out, or if we had one or two flagship programs like Kansas in the big 12. Arizona or UCLA in the PAC 12 etc.? 

Notoriety will come when top to bottom we are loading up on top players.  Not sure is a league that is going to be this competitive from 1-10.  The "flagship" programs will separate themselves over the next few years, but the truth is that we will benefit most from putting a lot of teams in the tourney and having our teams advance against other conferences.  Recruiting for the Big East out the gate has been fantastic though.

desco80

« Reply #1343 on: September 26, 2013, 10:00:05 AM »

Notoriety will come when top to bottom we are loading up on top players.  Not sure is a league that is going to be this competitive from 1-10.  The "flagship" programs will separate themselves over the next few years, but the truth is that we will benefit most from putting a lot of teams in the tourney and having our teams advance against other conferences.  Recruiting for the Big East out the gate has been fantastic though.

I tend to agree.  I'd rather have 6 teams in the dance.   If we have enough teams that are competitive, some team will break-through. 
But itll be interesting to see if the BE gets credit for a strong league even if we don't have that top 5 program for pundits to point at.

paultzman

« Reply #1344 on: September 26, 2013, 10:22:38 AM »
“@JonRothstein: .@VUCoachJWright on teams to watch in the Big East "St. John's and Providence. They're going to be better than people think."”

paultzman

« Reply #1345 on: September 26, 2013, 10:32:57 AM »

I tend to agree.  I'd rather have 6 teams in the dance.   If we have enough teams that are competitive, some team will break-through. 
But itll be interesting to see if the BE gets credit for a strong league even if we don't have that top 5 program for pundits to point at.

I believe this will be a highly competitive league, which will make for great TV and engender respect around the country.  Out of the gate, a lot has been accomplished.  The new BE IMO may never compare to hay day of the original group, but it will evolve positively. Separation from football schools was the only real choice and one well worth taking.

« Reply #1346 on: September 26, 2013, 10:48:40 AM »
I think we are going to run away with the conference.  Solid at every position

desco80

« Reply #1347 on: September 26, 2013, 11:49:41 AM »

I believe this will be a highly competitive league, which will make for great TV and engender respect around the country.  Out of the gate, a lot has been accomplished.  The new BE IMO may never compare to hay day of the original group, but it will evolve positively. Separation from football schools was the only real choice and one well worth taking.

I definitely agree Paultz.  From a national fan's perspective, I don't know how enticing our games will be compared to the other conferences.  But I also don't really care about that.   
I think, like you said, that our conference will be highly competitive, and I think the fact we do a home and away with each team now, adds a little something to the season for fans.  That should make for great viewing.
As long as the fox announcers are halfway decent it should be a fun season.

paultzman

« Reply #1348 on: September 26, 2013, 12:57:31 PM »
“@CasualHoya: Georgetown has been invited to play in 2015 doubleheader at Barclays Center along with former Big Easters Louisville, Rutgers and Cincy.”

« Reply #1349 on: September 26, 2013, 01:12:30 PM »
“@CasualHoya: Georgetown has been invited to play in 2015 doubleheader at Barclays Center along with former Big Easters Louisville, Rutgers and Cincy.”

Sure hope it's Georgetown vs. Louisville and Rutgers vs. Cincinnati.

paultzman

« Reply #1350 on: September 26, 2013, 01:32:05 PM »
“@EvanDanielsFOX: Interesting development in the Chinanu Onuaku recruitment. Thought to be down to Louisville & Miami ... he'll visit Georgetown this weekend.”

“@GoodmanESPN: @EvanDanielsFOX Few are better at going underground in recruiting than the Hoyas.”

« Reply #1351 on: September 26, 2013, 09:10:07 PM »
Too bad we don't recruit anymore

« Reply #1352 on: September 26, 2013, 10:36:39 PM »
Too bad we don't recruit anymore
LOL every time a read the crawl on espn and it says recruiting I hope it is us getting a commitment and than I say what could I have been thinking!

ras

« Reply #1353 on: September 27, 2013, 10:08:32 AM »
Forget about a commitment at this time. Id be happy seeing some 2014 targets.

« Reply #1354 on: September 27, 2013, 12:57:10 PM »
If recruiting rankings were based on instagram photos....ST Johns would be number 1

paultzman

« Reply #1355 on: September 30, 2013, 11:57:51 AM »
“@eamonnbrennan: Smith is big question for Georgetown http://es.pn/18FYOV7

paultzman

« Reply #1357 on: October 01, 2013, 09:21:32 AM »
“@QSJUHoops: Lavin: New Big East puts members on level ground, won't require different style. #sjubb http://sbn.to/18K9GBF

paultzman

« Reply #1358 on: October 01, 2013, 02:16:15 PM »
“@TheBBallDiary: St John's University is bringing Chris Obekpa, D'Angelo Harrison, Jakarr Sampson, Phil Greene IV, Sir'Dominic Pointer to Big East Media Day.”

October 16
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 02:42:30 PM by paultzman »

paultzman

« Reply #1359 on: October 01, 2013, 02:26:24 PM »
“@jerrymeyer247: Big East is doing a phenomenal job recruiting. Top 6 schools in conference are in the top 21 of the national rankings http://247sports.com/Season/2014-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings?Conference=Big-East