Around Big East

• 3954 replies

gman

Re: around the big east
« Reply #1780 on: December 26, 2013, 09:49:23 AM »
Just for comparison same, assuming Kentucky loses to lville this weekend, how many conference names will they need for a tourny bid. They would be 9-4 with no quality wins and losing only to ranked teams. They only hAve 3 more games in conference Against ranked teams and 2 if those are against a rising Florida.

« Reply #1781 on: December 26, 2013, 10:07:01 AM »
Serious. Question- how did they get so good ? We shouldn't have lost them last year . Do they have any new players?

Their guards are playing better than anyone could have imagined.  Their frontcourt, to me, is extremely weak.
They've shot it well so far this year.  Nearly 60% of their points come from the line or from the 3.  They get to the line a lot (rule "changes" probably benefit them) and attempt the 7th most 3s per possession in the country. 

paultzman

« Reply #1782 on: December 26, 2013, 11:02:41 AM »
Serious. Question- how did they get so good ? We shouldn't have lost them last year . Do they have any new players?

Their guards are playing better than anyone could have imagined.  Their frontcourt, to me, is extremely weak.
They've shot it well so far this year.  Nearly 60% of their points come from the line or from the 3.  They get to the line a lot (rule "changes" probably benefit them) and attempt the 7th most 3s per possession in the country. 

Even before rule changes, they drew a ton of fouls. The addition of transfer Ennis and integration of two solid freshmen has helped. Their inside line is indeed thin. Ironically "Arciannoying" has struggled a bit. I think he will be fine, but refs catching up to his flopping act and competition at guard position may have effected his production.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 11:04:07 AM by paultzman »

TONYD3

« Reply #1783 on: December 26, 2013, 11:11:20 AM »
Can't imagine many teams have more talent at guard then d- lo and whoever is playing next to him.

Marillac

« Reply #1784 on: December 26, 2013, 11:45:19 AM »
This conference is tougher than most people think.  It's very tough to sweep anyone, but every team will have to play a home-and-home with nine other teams.  How many schools would be able to sweep our top eight teams?  That is just brutal...there are no breaks.

SH isn't a cakewalk with Edwin, Sina, and the big guy.  DePaul has already beaten a Pac-12 school.

To go just 11-7 in this conference you'll have to sweep two teams and then beat Nova, Gtown, Marquette, Creighton, Xavier, Butler, St. John's, and Butler once (minus one if you are one of the teams listed). 

It is not that tough playing teams twice.  Take the old BE.  Would you rather play DePaul twice or play DePaul once and Louisville once?

Louisville, Syracuse, Ohio St, Wisconsin, Michigan St and Arizona among others would win 14 games MINIMUM in this BE if you say put them in and take out a Xavier or Butler. 

You also said it was criminal for Marquette to be left out of the top 25.  Your projection powers have been revoked for the remainder of the year.  Seriously, though, I can't really argue with the five teams you listed winning 14 games if subbed out for Butler of Xavier.  Top 10 teams are going to win 14+ games in any conference.  I am really looking at it from that second tier of very good teams down...say top 15-20 and worse.  Sweeping teams is not an easy task.  Depaul and SH are clearly a few notches lower than anyone else in the conference...but 1-8 this is a tough, tough conference night in and night out. 

From a St. John's perspective, (this year) I would rather us play in the old Big East.  It gives us a chance to pickup some wins against lower teams like USF, RU, SH, Depaul (usually a gift home-and-home in there for us as well) and also the chance to build a great RPI/SOS and chance to get a defining win or two at home against a Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse, etc.

MCNPA

« Reply #1785 on: December 26, 2013, 06:44:16 PM »
People must still keep in perspective that our league is only a 10 team league.  If we are getting "only" 4 teams into the dance, we are still getting 40% of our conference members into the dance.  Even one more, and that is half our conference making it.  It's not as atrocious as some are making it out to be.  What we need is Nova to keep winning and have a few teams separate within our conference.  I'm hoping we will be one of them.  If we do that, the ranking will follow as well, even though our league didn't get as many big OOC wins as we would have liked. 

At this point, our league hasn't performed poorly OOC.  We've actually performed relatively well, but failed to seal the deal on a few big games.  All we can worry about is SJU at this point and finishing amongst the top 3 or 4 and maybe even winning our league which is certainly a possibility. 

desco80

« Reply #1786 on: December 26, 2013, 08:25:26 PM »
People must still keep in perspective that our league is only a 10 team league.  If we are getting "only" 4 teams into the dance, we are still getting 40% of our conference members into the dance.  Even one more, and that is half our conference making it.  It's not as atrocious as some are making it out to be.  What we need is Nova to keep winning and have a few teams separate within our conference.  I'm hoping we will be one of them.  If we do that, the ranking will follow as well, even though our league didn't get as many big OOC wins as we would have liked. 

At this point, our league hasn't performed poorly OOC.  We've actually performed relatively well, but failed to seal the deal on a few big games.  All we can worry about is SJU at this point and finishing amongst the top 3 or 4 and maybe even winning our league which is certainly a possibility. 

+1.  4 teams making the tourny in a 10 team league is very good.
 If one other team was top 20, say Georgetown, Marquette, or us; there wouldn't even be a debate about whether the BE was strong or not.  I think by February the league will have 3 ranked teams and it will be a moot point.

paultzman

« Reply #1787 on: December 27, 2013, 12:45:29 PM »
@MarquetteMBB: #mubb guard Duane Wilson to redshirt in 2013-14. Freshman yet to play for MU after preseason leg injury.

Smart move for promising player IMO.

hnk

« Reply #1788 on: December 27, 2013, 12:48:39 PM »
Paultzman , do u know anything about the RENS program overall and/or its relationship w St. John's? Thanks

paultzman

« Reply #1789 on: December 27, 2013, 01:02:33 PM »

[/quote]
Paultzman , do u know anything about the RENS program overall and/or its relationship w St. John's? Thanks

Artie Cox, a long time  Christ the King  assistant coach, has been a driving force for years with RENs. Obviously you see many CTK guys on the roster. I don't  know what the SJU relationship is with them.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 01:07:29 PM by paultzman »

hnk

« Reply #1790 on: December 27, 2013, 01:09:58 PM »
Thanks...is it seen as a good program?

paultzman

« Reply #1791 on: December 27, 2013, 01:25:25 PM »
Thanks...is it seen as a good program?

I would say so, but Team Scan appears to be the hot local team now. Frankly, I often saw Artie coach years ago when a family member played for Riverside against his young squads. I admired his dedication back then, but have not seen them often in recent years. Others like Happy, Kob or Chilleb can better judge that.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 01:27:59 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #1792 on: December 27, 2013, 09:18:57 PM »
Teague on Seton Hall is having a monster game and just took a big fall under the basket and now they're bringing a stretcher out for him.

« Reply #1793 on: December 27, 2013, 09:54:09 PM »
Teague on Seton Hall is having a monster game and just took a big fall under the basket and now they're bringing a stretcher out for him.

Is he OK? 

« Reply #1794 on: December 27, 2013, 09:57:24 PM »

Is he OK? 

He was moving his arms and legs which is a good sign i guess.  They stretchered him off I'm sure there will be an update tonight. That would be a real tough loss for them to overcome right before Big East play if he has to miss games.

« Reply #1795 on: December 27, 2013, 10:00:22 PM »

Is he OK? 

He was moving his arms and legs which is a good sign i guess.  They stretchered him off I'm sure there will be an update tonight. That would be a real tough loss for them to overcome right before Big East play if he has to miss games.

Yeah but much like with Jordan and his mom I can't think about basketball when something like that happens.  Just hope to God he is OK.

I am not in front of a TV right now.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 10:01:16 PM by fordham96 »

« Reply #1796 on: December 27, 2013, 10:04:51 PM »
Update is that his neck is OK and he''s being tested for a concussion.

« Reply #1797 on: December 27, 2013, 11:22:39 PM »
Nice buzzer beater win for DePaul on the road at Northwestern.

paultzman

« Reply #1798 on: December 28, 2013, 10:28:32 AM »
@HolyLandofHoops: Several really good #BIGEAST games today: 10-2 Wake at 9-3 Xavier; 10-3 Providence at 10-1 UMass; #8 Villanova at #2 Syracuse.

« Reply #1799 on: December 28, 2013, 10:49:34 AM »
This conference is tougher than most people think.  It's very tough to sweep anyone, but every team will have to play a home-and-home with fine other teams.  How many schools would be able to sweep our top eight teams?  That is just brutal...there are no breaks.

SH isn't a cakewalk with Edwin, Sina, and the big guy.  DePaul has already beaten a Pac-12 school.

To go just 11-7 in this conference you'll have to sweep two teams and then beat Nova, Gtown, Marquette, Creighton, Xavier, Butler, St. John's, and Butler once (minus one if you are one of the teams listed). 

It is not that tough playing teams twice.  Take the old BE.  Would you rather play DePaul twice or play DePaul once and Louisville once?

Louisville, Syracuse, Ohio St, Wisconsin, Michigan St and Arizona among others would win 14 games MINIMUM in this BE if you say put them in and take out a Xavier or Butler. 

You also said it was criminal for Marquette to be left out of the top 25.  Your projection powers have been revoked for the remainder of the year.  Seriously, though, I can't really argue with the five teams you listed winning 14 games if subbed out for Butler of Xavier.  Top 10 teams are going to win 14+ games in any conference.  I am really looking at it from that second tier of very good teams down...say top 15-20 and worse.  Sweeping teams is not an easy task.  Depaul and SH are clearly a few notches lower than anyone else in the conference...but 1-8 this is a tough, tough conference night in and night out. 

From a St. John's perspective, (this year) I would rather us play in the old Big East.  It gives us a chance to pickup some wins against lower teams like USF, RU, SH, Depaul (usually a gift home-and-home in there for us as well) and also the chance to build a great RPI/SOS and chance to get a defining win or two at home against a Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse, etc.

I did not say it was criminal I said it must have been an oversight by Vitals who later confirmed based on pre-season consensus that Marquette was the best team in the BE.  Just like it was consensus by Vitals and everyone that Kentucky was a top 5 team.  If you are going to lie at least be original about it.

The rest of your home and home stuff is pure drivel written to justify an unjustifiable post.