Few notes from Baldi

• 102 replies
Re: Few notes from Baldi
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2012, 11:27:18 PM »
Welcome back Marco.  Wish you good fortune.

Thanks J. This is a strong community, from Rockaway to Belle Harbor to Breezy Point. Guys like PMG will vouch for that. I have a new faith in humanity. Just the other day, my brother and I were clearing out my sister house..her basement and 1st floor were flooded. A group of volunteer Mormons saw us struggling. Mormon girls. They jumped right in, what would have taken us 3 days, took 3 hours because of 10 Mormon high school volunteers. Miracles happening
and baldi just got 10 wives

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2012, 11:33:52 PM »
Sandy really kicked our ass down here in the Rockaways, but we are fighting back. Everyday is 1 day closer to normalcy. Thanks to all of you for your prayers and thoughts. My computer is gone as are a lot of things, so its been hard to follow what's going on in the sports world. But I did hear some things last night. Not sure if this is news or not,but Sanchez is waiting on his parents death certificates from the DR to present to NCAA. St Johns will be sporting gray unis shortly. And last but not least, St Johns is next on line to go to the ACC. As it turns out,ESPN pretty much has the final say on conference changes
what do you guys need down there now that would help ?

« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2012, 11:38:46 PM »
Sandy really kicked our ass down here in the Rockaways, but we are fighting back. Everyday is 1 day closer to normalcy. Thanks to all of you for your prayers and thoughts. My computer is gone as are a lot of things, so its been hard to follow what's going on in the sports world. But I did hear some things last night. Not sure if this is news or not,but Sanchez is waiting on his parents death certificates from the DR to present to NCAA. St Johns will be sporting gray unis shortly. And last but not least, St Johns is next on line to go to the ACC. As it turns out,ESPN pretty much has the final say on conference changes
what do you guys need down there now that would help ?

Sand. Seriously, at high tide the ocean is about 10 feet from our crumbled beach wall. I wouldn't donate to Red Cross either, they are a disgrace. If you would like to give, look up Rockaway Wish on Facebook. They are local, legit and running things down here. Their are a lot of freeloaders from outside of the community taking advantage, it's a shame. Thanks MJ

« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2012, 11:39:17 PM »
Glad to hear you are doing well Baldi.  Your boys waxed Wake after getting upset by Quinnipiac.  Anyway, what have you heard about Branch's D?  I know he had a rep out of high school as a lock down defender.

Lavin doesn't like guys who complain about injuries. I bet he gets maybe 12 mins a game, tops. Actually, if the rest of the team continues to be late for team bus...he might start. Lol

I hope she was worth it!  ;)

« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2012, 12:15:28 AM »
Baldi, if your source is solid and SJ joins the ACC, I'm throwing a Baldi party. :D

« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2012, 12:36:52 AM »
The SJU to the ACC would further dismiss my fears of Lavs leaving if we went to a place like the A-10 and being in the ACC doesnt hurt recruitment either.  We are so close to being super relevent again after so many down years.  The taste of the G-town pasting at the garden during the Ewing-Mullin years would start to fade finally.

MCNPA

« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2012, 01:02:36 AM »
I hope you're right about SJU to the ACC.  I'll even root for Iona if it happens.  ACC has big problems with their own football teams getting poached.  ACC looks like it will end up a blend of the recent Big East and ACC.  I think ACC would be really smart to add SJU and Georgetown to add 2 big bball markets.  Don't need more than those 2 bball-only schools.  Both can compete in all other sports as well.  The ACC is going to need to concentrate on having the best basketball product in the country bar-none, while all others have their eye on football. ACC will never be the SEC nor Big 10 in football.  Not even close.  They'd be best served to have real solid football but great basketball in the biggest markets. Not sure if it's just a pipe dream, but hoping its more.

derk

« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2012, 09:35:26 AM »
Welcome back Marco.  Wish you good fortune.

Thanks J. This is a strong community, from Rockaway to Belle Harbor to Breezy Point. Guys like PMG will vouch for that. I have a new faith in humanity. Just the other day, my brother and I were clearing out my sister house..her basement and 1st floor were flooded. A group of volunteer Mormons saw us struggling. Mormon girls. They jumped right in, what would have taken us 3 days, took 3 hours because of 10 Mormon high school volunteers. Miracles happening

It's a beautiful thing Baldi. My prayers to you.

« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2012, 09:40:06 AM »
Hi Marco - was wondering about you but somehow knew you'd survive and be back with your unique voice.

Welcome back!

If ESPN is pushing for St. John's it must be the NY market and Steve Lavin's connections at the shop in Bristol.

sju89tr

« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2012, 10:44:22 AM »
FWIW, I basically heard the same thing regarding a few of Baldi's cpomments.

Branch is not as good as advertised.

The ACC thing, I hear talk is of adding UCONN or Louisville at this time as well as Georgetown to replace the MD/DC market for basketball and us. The thing though is that they don't need UCONN and STJ as it is the same market but would not mind getting Louisville to get into the Kentucky Wildcat market.   

Wouldn't it be something if we go to ACC and not UCONN? LOL
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 10:50:55 AM by sju89tr »

« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2012, 10:51:34 AM »
Baldi and me go back when we was the few only sane voices over on the sewer that was becomin BEB.

Always been a cool dude and righteous upstandin brother wit a humourous streak even if he got hisself and the St. Franny motion offense obliterated in the CHSAA by the run-and-gun brothers from the Bx. Just playin bre.

Anyways on this Thanksgiving, I say a prayer of thanks that he and his fams have been delivered from danger and that they will have the fortitude to rebuild. Strike that last part homes. I KNOW he will rebuild. Kinda brother he is.

Peace out to all y'all my friends! Happy Thanksgiving!

-Choz4Life
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 10:52:06 AM by Choz4Life »
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

MCNPA

« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2012, 10:59:03 AM »

The ACC thing, I hear talk is of adding UCONN or Louisville at this time as well as Georgetown to replace the MD/DC market for basketball and us. The thing though is that they don't need UCONN and STJ as it is the same market but would not mind getting Louisville to get into the Kentucky Wildcat market.   

The thing about uconn is that they want the NY market but not sure they want Uconn football and sharing football dollars even more.  There is a point where adding a few bball only schools makes sense because they don't need to split football dollars but can obtain those basketball markets with little fuss.  Adding SJU pretty much delivers them MSG.   It also means every ACC team would be making appearances during the regular season at msg and adds potentially a ton of exposure with SJU/Cuse for post-season tournament etc. As is, SJU vs Cuse and SJU vs Duke sells out the Garden,  I'm sure espn envisions UNC at MSG etc.  Curious to see what would happen.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 11:02:59 AM by MCNPA »

MCNPA

« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2012, 11:15:54 AM »

Fwiw, Branch still gives us a big guard that can distribute the rock.  That said, I think people are selling Phil Greene really short.  He has been fantastic and is only going to get better.  He's been averaging 14.5ppg 5apg 5rpg and 2 t/o per game.   He'll start looking for players more once we get our forwards into better position in the offense.  We have needed Phil to create in offense, so that is what he has been doing.  I don't expect Branch to be a savior, butive seen him a little bit and he'll be more than serviceable if we need a distributor out there.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 11:19:15 AM by MCNPA »

« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2012, 11:16:43 AM »
Baldi and me go back when we was the few only sane voices over on the sewer that was becomin BEB.

First of all I like Baldi, met him and I am sorry for his troubles.
With that being said the above might be the single funniest / stupidest thing ever posted. Do you really want to hitch yourself to the Baldi sane wagon? Marco basically stirred the pot by defending Norm when 95% of the board was irate over the state of the program. Marco did not believe a third of the nonsense he was posting. Furthermore he managed to do the impossible by actually getting banned from BEB. This would be the equivalent of getting arrested for jay walking in the wild west.
Again I like Baldi personally but his posts were a far cry from sane!

sju89tr

« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2012, 11:20:50 AM »

Fwiw, Branch still gives us a big guard that can distribute the rock.  That said, I think people are selling Phil Greene really short.  He has been fantastic and is only going to get better.  He's been averaging 14.5ppg 5apg 5rpg and 2 t/o per game.   He'll start looking for players more once we get our forwards into better position in the offense.  We have needed Phil to create in offense, so that is what he has been doing.  I don't expect Branch to be a savior, butive seen him a little bit and he'll be more than serviceable if we need a distributor out there.

I'm not selling Branch short, I only remember him from when we played A&M last year. He is the only true PG on the roster and has had the chance to sit and learn the system. He will be fine.

Moose

« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2012, 11:22:40 AM »
Would like to hear more from those who think Branch isn't as good as advertised.
Remember who broke the Slice news

boo3

« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2012, 11:24:49 AM »
Would like to hear more from those who think Branch isn't as good as advertised.

Let's see the kid suit up and play a few games before he's thrown to the wolves.

« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2012, 11:25:13 AM »
Would like to hear more from those who think Branch isn't as good as advertised

Hopefully not true but I have heard grumblings as well. Also from Coach basically stating Harrison was going to be his point before the season it kind of foreshadowed the possibility.

sju89tr

« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2012, 11:27:49 AM »

Don't shoot the messenger, only saying what I heard.  :-\

boo3

« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2012, 11:28:05 AM »
 If Branch can handle the ball, manage the offense, and play great D on the opponents best guard, then we will be fine.

Phil Greene deserves as many minutes as anyone on this team.