2 Losses for 1 Win

• 39 replies

Moose

2 Losses for 1 Win
« on: January 24, 2013, 10:16:44 AM »
We all hated the early season losses.  The no show vs. San Fran and the collapse vs. Asheville.

Just wondering how many would trade those 2 losses as bad as they were for our RPI and all that jazz for 1 win against a team like Syracuse.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Re: 2 Losses for 1 Win
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 10:21:12 AM »
Louisville and Cuse are going to blow our doors off. I say we go into BET at 18-12 or 17-13 so those two losses could very well have knocked us off the bubble.

Moose

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 10:22:41 AM »
Louisville and Cuse are going to blow our doors off. I say we go into BET at 18-12 or 17-13 so those two losses could very well have knocked us off the bubble.

You didn't answer my question new found compadre ;)

I would say Nova knocked off Lville but then again that game was at Nova so I won't bother using the comparison that we went blow for blow with Nova :)

desco80

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 10:25:40 AM »
So the question is would I rather have two losses against USF, and UNCA  and a win vs Syracuse/L'ville
or two wins against cupcakes and losses to Syracuse/L'ville?

« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 10:25:57 AM by desco80 »

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 10:27:39 AM »
You didn't answer my question new found compadre

I would say Nova knocked off Lville but then again that game was at Nova so I won't bother using the comparison that we went blow for blow with Nova

Becuase it is pure fantasy, we won't win. You might as well have asked me who was a better wizard, Harry Potter or Gandalf. Yes I liked Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, don't judge me!
If I must answer anyway I would say no. I would take those two wins and endure the Cuse shellacking.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 10:30:18 AM by we are sju »

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 10:28:04 AM »
I absolutely would trade those two losses for a cuse win.  Losing to Ashville and SF sucked but the fact is, the big east and cuse carries so much more weight in the eyes of the committee.  So forget about what RPI was with those two loses, A cuse win makes up for it and then some.

Moose

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 10:36:18 AM »
So the question is would I rather have two losses against USF, and UNCA  and a win vs Syracuse/L'ville

Yes.  Was I speaking Chinese?  Is my sentence construction that bad :)

Just trying to find some positive I guess lately in the dark cloud of my rooting interest lately.  We always here the cliches about getting better throughout the year and the young team growing.  Similar to the lumps we took vs. Fordham and Bonnies that later translated to wins vs. ranked teams.  I picked Cuse because I despise them and I think everyone here wants to knock them off before they bolt for football pastures.

desco80

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 10:40:49 AM »

Yes.  Was I speaking Chinese?  Is my sentence construction that bad :)

Just trying to find some positive I guess lately in the dark cloud of my rooting interest lately.  We always here the cliches about getting better throughout the year and the young team growing.  Similar to the lumps we took vs. Fordham and Bonnies that later translated to wins vs. ranked teams.  I picked Cuse because I despise them and I think everyone here wants to knock them off before they bolt for football pastures.

beating Syracuse would be big.   Those losses to UNCA and USF were BAD though.   Look what they've each done since then?  Nothing.   
But I guess a win vs Cuse would be worth it.   I'm not sure though that we necessarily gained any valuable experience from those games.   Two years ago I thought Fordham and St Bonnies definitely helped the team later in the year.   This year?  ehh I don't know.   Being blown out at USF when it looked like we didn't even show up was pathetic.   

DFF6

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 10:41:23 AM »
We all hated the early season losses.  The no show vs. San Fran and the collapse vs. Asheville.

Just wondering how many would trade those 2 losses as bad as they were for our RPI and all that jazz for 1 win against a team like Syracuse.

IMO, it's a no brainer: YES.  Chalk up the two early, ugly loses to our team being "young and stupid" and the late season win over a Cuse as a sign of the young team "turning the corner" and realizing its potential.  Unfortunately, for this trade, we need to have a willing trading partner, and neither Cuse nor L'ville will be willing to give us that win.   
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 10:41:55 AM by DFF6 »

paultzman

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 10:45:19 AM »
Yes

Tha Kid

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 10:52:48 AM »
Unfortunately, unless Lavin made some deal with the Devil, I'm not sure it works that way.  I appreciate the optimism, but when it comes tourney time, those will be listed on our "bad losses" section if we are on the bubble.  We need a big time win or two to counteract those losses.
"I drink and I know things"

Moose

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 10:54:53 AM »
Unfortunately, unless Lavin made some deal with the Devil, I'm not sure it works that way.  I appreciate the optimism, but when it comes tourney time, those will be listed on our "bad losses" section if we are on the bubble.  We need a big time win or two to counteract those losses.

Its not optimism.  Lord knows I have none of that recently.  Its just a hypothetical question.  The losses cannot be erased.  But the point is would a win like that offset those 2 losses.

Marillac

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 11:19:29 AM »

I'd trade those two losses for a win over Louisville or Syracuse any day of the week. 

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 11:23:29 AM »
I am not prepared to accept any game as a loss.  Mind you I am not expecting wins at either place but it would not shock me if they were to steal one.

Especially Syracuse.  They clearly miss Southerland and as I said in an earlier thread they are riped to get picked soon and it usually happens at home by a team that you are not expected to lose to.

But first things first.  Take care of business at home these next two games.

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 11:32:19 AM »

Can you start another Lavin meter?

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 11:50:59 AM »
You didn't answer my question new found compadre

I would say Nova knocked off Lville but then again that game was at Nova so I won't bother using the comparison that we went blow for blow with Nova

Becuase it is pure fantasy, we won't win. You might as well have asked me who was a better wizard, Harry Potter or Gandalf. Yes I liked Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, don't judge me!
If I must answer anyway I would say no. I would take those two wins and endure the Cuse shellacking.

Gandalf, and its really not that close.

And, moose I would trade those losses for the big win at this point. I think we have a better shot against Louisville than we do against cuse. That zone scares the hell out me.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

boo3

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 11:56:09 AM »

I'd trade those two losses for a win over Louisville or Syracuse any day of the week.

Me too.  Beating a Syracuse or Louisville would do wonders for the team's confidence. It would be huge.

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 09:13:56 AM »
A win in the BE is worth more than an OCC win.  A win against Cuse or Louisville is definitely better than the two OCC losses.  That being said, as much as I hate Cuse, a win over them would be priceless!  I'm still haunted by DJ going down with the knee injury in the BET game against Cuse when we were finally competitive with them, with a chance to win the game.

sju89tr

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 09:30:12 AM »
Well anything can happen, our 6 guys almost won at Duke last year.

Yes Moose, I would trade those two losses for a win against either "Ville or "Cuse.

I don't think we win either though and those 2 games coming up don't make or break our season. Got to win at least 7 other games out of our remaining 11. 

paultzman

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 09:56:37 AM »
Well anything can happen, our 6 guys almost won at Duke last year.

Yes Moose, I would trade those two losses for a win against either "Ville or "Cuse.

I don't think we win either though and those 2 games coming up don't make or break our season. Got to win at least 7 other games out of our remaining 11. 

Duke game really served as launching point for Moe's NBA career. He dominated getting max exposure IMO.