Thoughts on off-season improvement needs

• 70 replies
Re: Thoughts on off-season improvement needs
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2013, 11:33:33 AM »
QUOTE-The dead father card. Good grief.-FUN

What did you think of the inbounds defense 101 class Lavin gave Pointer during a TO?

We can only hope that wasn't the only thing he noticed going wrong. It was like watching the captain of the Titanic up to his ankles in seawater instructing a waiter on how best to polish the silverware.

Now that is a real Lavin-esque analogy.+1

Poison

« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2013, 11:43:36 AM »
The biggest off season need is to secure the players we have, including, and especially Harrison all return.
Nothing is as important as that. We can't shoot now, but we'd be shooting a lot better if we had Harrison, Sanchez and Hooper.

paultzman

« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2013, 12:17:29 PM »
"Kudos on Lavin for establishing order, but offensive issues were loud and bright alarms even before Harrison's frustrations and personality caused a rift.

Can D`Angelo Harrison come back? And if he comes back, can he improve from the struggling guard we saw in the month of February?

Can Orlando Sanchez cure what ails the Red Storm?

Can JaKarr Sampson get better?

Can the team find post offense? A shooter?

Can the team come together and knock off teams like Syracuse, who come to the Garden this December?

The guy waiting his turn may be a savior; he may not. The team as a whole has to develop into a cohesive unit that scores enough to support the defensive improvements - the change in the team may not be on one team member, but in familiarity and experience and player development.

In an offseason where his talented sophomore class become upperclassmen (and possibly one of the "oldest" teams in the NCAA in a sudden leap, the coach and his staff face a great many questions without a clear answer in sight."

“@ECoastBias: Lavin reflects on season's difficulties, discusses optimism for next year; questions linger #stjbb http://sbn.to/16uHZx3

« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2013, 03:49:07 PM »
I haven't really heard anyone mention this yet...but isn't it fair to say that Lavin's decision to suspend Harrison has NOW completely backfired?

At this point, Harrison has all the leverage. We didn't win a single game since he was suspended. How can Lavin possibly go to him now and say he has to do this and that to get back on the team, when all Harrison has to say is: You need me. You didn't win a game without me. No one on this team can make a shot.

bk8664

« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2013, 03:50:52 PM »
I haven't really heard anyone mention this yet...but isn't it fair to say that Lavin's decision to suspend Harrison has NOW completely backfired?

At this point, Harrison has all the leverage. We didn't win a single game since he was suspended. How can Lavin possibly go to him now and say he has to do this and that to get back on the team, when all Harrison has to say is: You need me. You didn't win a game without me. No one on this team can make a shot.

No. I disagree.

« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2013, 03:57:36 PM »

No. I disagree.

I am not saying I disagree with Lavin suspending Harrison, I think it was clearly done with an eye towards next year and having one of our best players fully on board.

However, I'm pretty sure Lavin didn't expect us to lose out. IMO, this plants the seed in Harrison's head that this team needs him (which can be a bad thing for his attitude). If we went out and won a few games (in regular season and BET) it would have helped Lavin's case that this team will be fine moving forward without D'Lo.

bk8664

« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2013, 06:30:14 PM »

No. I disagree.

I am not saying I disagree with Lavin suspending Harrison, I think it was clearly done with an eye towards next year and having one of our best players fully on board.

However, I'm pretty sure Lavin didn't expect us to lose out. IMO, this plants the seed in Harrison's head that this team needs him (which can be a bad thing for his attitude). If we went out and won a few games (in regular season and BET) it would have helped Lavin's case that this team will be fine moving forward without D'Lo.

I think that Lavin still has good leverage over D'Lo.  To any new prospective coach that D'Lo could play for in the future, D'Lo comes with baggage.  That hinders D'Lo ability to transfer somewhere or play overseas.   I think also D'Lo realizes that he could be the main back-court shooter on team stacked with big men.  It's a great position to be in if you are a shooter.   So, D'Lo should want badly want to come back to this team - because he'll put up points and he doesn't have to wait a year.  Lavin still has big leverage over him.

Poison

« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2013, 06:36:45 PM »

It has completely backfired. No doubt about it. It ruined our season.

bk8664

« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2013, 06:40:29 PM »

I don't think so - our season's fate was finalized before Harrison was suspended.  They weren't playing well. I don't think him being there would have put us in the ncaa tournament. 

Moose

« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2013, 06:42:04 PM »

I don't think so - our season's fate was finalized before Harrison was suspended.  They weren't playing well. I don't think him being there would have put us in the ncaa tournament. 

All 3 remaining games were winnable.  Can't call Nova game since if they won 2 of the 3 who knows where they would have seeded.
Remember who broke the Slice news

DFF6

« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2013, 06:44:04 PM »

With Harrison in the game, we probably win against Providence and Marquette, and maybe take down Nova.  Not NCAA material, but not embarrassing either.  And FWIW, I think Lavin absolutely knew Harrison's suspension meant the end of any chance for a decent finish to the season. 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 06:47:56 PM by DFF6 »

boo3

« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2013, 06:44:45 PM »

Longshot at best.  I'm surprised people still want to blame Lavin for this.  It's not the pros.  If you can't be a team player and treat people with respect, after numerous warnings, then you deserve what you get.

And people wonder why players act like punks. It's because they are allowed to get away with it. 

bk8664

« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2013, 06:45:51 PM »

All 3 remaining games were winnable.  Can't call Nova game since if they won 2 of the 3 who knows where they would have seeded.

They were winnable - but the team was putting up bad results with Harrison in there.  I'm not saying he was a net negative on the team, but maybe if Lavin doesn't suspend him the rest of the team doesn't play with a fire lit underneath them.  They looked great against market. With a sulking Harrison chucking up shots do we take Marquette to over-time?  I don't know.   

In in order for us to make the NCAAs we needed to do major damage the last three games and the 1st big east game.  You think Harrison gets us there based on the way we were playing just prior to him being suspended?  I doubt it.  Our season was over as much as I hate to admit it. 

We have to start planning for next year.   Simple as that.

Moose

« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2013, 06:52:43 PM »

They were winnable - but the team was putting up bad results with Harrison in there.  I'm not saying he was a net negative on the team, but maybe if Lavin doesn't suspend him the rest of the team doesn't play with a fire lit underneath them.  They looked great against market. With a sulking Harrison chucking up shots do we take Marquette to over-time?  I don't know.   

In in order for us to make the NCAAs we needed to do major damage the last three games and the 1st big east game.  You think Harrison gets us there based on the way we were playing just prior to him being suspended?  I doubt it.  Our season was over as much as I hate to admit it. 

The other two games they were comatose though.  They definitely beat Prov with Harrison and they don't lose by 26 to ND and Dom isn't punching people.  I think the Marquette 'effort' was rallying around their 'leader' being suspended for that game.
Remember who broke the Slice news

bk8664

« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2013, 06:57:08 PM »

The other two games they were comatose though.  They definitely beat Prov with Harrison and they don't lose by 26 to ND and Dom isn't punching people.  I think the Marquette 'effort' was rallying around their 'leader' being suspended for that game.

We'll only know in about nine or ten months if the suspension move was a smart investment.   Unfortunately for us, it's another 'wait until next year' off-season; which I will do, yet again.

MCNPA

« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2013, 07:33:00 PM »

Not at all.  Coaches can't just let a bad apple spoil team chemistry and upend any control the coach has to begin with.  Lavin suspended Harrison at his own detriment, basically saying that he'll play kids that are buying in, win or lose.  It might not be the best thing for us fans right now, nor for Lavin's rep but Lavin made a hard choice.   Nobody would suspend their best scorer without really having to.  We were only a few wins away from an NCAA bid and nobody would be complaining right now.  Ive played for coaches who have had a ton less tolerant than Lavin.  Played for a coach who benched me in lacrosse because I was 10 minutes late to box lacrosse in the offseason one day a week due to Driver's Ed.

We desperately need D'Angelo to buy in though, to really be where we want to be next year.

Chilleb

« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2013, 07:43:43 PM »
Bottom line we don't get easy baskets, everytime we scored it looked like it was a struggle to do so. Every 6-8 point defect this year felt like 20-25 because we don't get east shots and struggle to convert open jumpshots. We need better guard play a guard who can create more easy shots and wings who can shoot the ball. Our bigs will be fine and our defense is solid. We just need more offense. Guards who can create and be a threat.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 07:44:04 PM by Chilleb »

« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2013, 07:52:59 PM »

it's not about leverage, it's about drawing a line with a player. Then expecting a lot of s**t from others who want to win, regardless of the culture you are trying to build. That's part of the game, Lavin is a big boy, but will Harrison become one?

« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2013, 01:32:49 AM »
and I believe Obepka, Sampson, Pointer and Branch will improve. 

Why will only these 4 improve and not the rest of our returning players?

« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2013, 07:39:49 AM »

No. I disagree.

I think that Lavin still has good leverage over D'Lo.  To any new prospective coach that D'Lo could play for in the future, D'Lo comes with baggage.  That hinders D'Lo ability to transfer somewhere or play overseas.   I think also D'Lo realizes that he could be the main back-court shooter on team stacked with big men.  It's a great position to be in if you are a shooter.   So, D'Lo should want badly want to come back to this team - because he'll put up points and he doesn't have to wait a year.  Lavin still has big leverage over him.

Harrison won't have any trouble finding another team