kjd01067

« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 07:41:42 AM by peter »

kjd01067

Re: Devon Collier - C - All Hallows HS - Bronx, NY
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 01:41:53 PM »
http://stjohns.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=820588

Maurice Wingate
NYCHoops.net

After transferring to St. Anthony's in New Jersey from All Hallows in New York, Devon Collier's stock has soared.

The transfer occurred primarily due to dissatisfaction with the direction of the All Hallows basketball program which ended with a dismal 3-34 record.

But the future now looks bright for the 6'7" power forward. On the one hand, Collier will be transferring to St. Anthony in the fall. The powerhouse juggernaut finished 32-0, this year, and won its 10th New Jersey state championship since 1989. The Friar team is also coached by the legendary and respected Bob Hurley.

On the other hand, during the summer, Collier is playing for the very successful, New Heights 2010. The AAU team, coached by Kimani Young, touts cast of all-star sophomores and freshmen, including St. Anthony teammate Ashton Pankey, that plays primarily in 17U tournaments.

Collier has been tenacious on both offense and defense and if this is any sign of what his junior year with the Friars promises he should be one of the top juniors in the nation.

Apparently, Colleges agree as the list grows. Collier's current list includes St. John's, Seton Hall, Rutgers, Georgia Tech, Fordham and Pittsburgh.

According to a reliable source, the rising junior has, in addition, received interest from Virginia, Florida and Syracuse.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 02:18:01 PM by kjd01067 »

pmg911

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 02:07:19 PM »
I think it will be a LONG LONG time before another player from St. Anthony heads to St. John's...

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 02:10:18 PM »
Whats with all the kids transfering into New Jersey and St Anthonys. Theyre starting to resemble Lincoln

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 02:15:36 PM »
Whats with all the kids transfering into New Jersey and St Anthonys. Theyre starting to resemble Lincoln

NJ > NY duhhh
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 02:24:20 PM »
More oppurtunitie$ in Jer$ey JJ?   ;)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 02:35:15 PM by Marco Baldi »

pmg911

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 02:36:39 PM »
More money oppurtunitie$ in Jer$ey JJ?   ;)

Maybe a chance to play for the best high school basketball coach in America....  he might just be the best basketball coach at any level...

Hurley doesn't need to cheat.. .   the kids come knocking his door down to play there...

But you think everyone is dirty...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 02:37:04 PM by pmg911 »

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 02:41:35 PM »

Maybe a chance to play for the best high school basketball coach in America....  he might just be the best basketball coach at any level...

Hurley doesn't need to cheat.. .   the kids come knocking his door down to play there...

I didnt say he was dirty, I said there was more of an oppurtunity there to make some money. Whether its sooner or later,college or pros. I just find it suspicious that kids are leaving NYC to go to Jersey, for instance the kid from Molloy. Jack Curran is a great coach who has put kids in great college programs and into the pros.

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 02:49:16 PM »
Hurley gives a lot of his own time for the kids. He gives them a great opportunity on both the court and the classroom. St. Anthony's would shut down if he wasn't there which is the only reason he hasn't moved on elsewhere because there have been plenty of offers for his services.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

pmg911

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 03:13:12 PM »

I didnt say he was dirty, I said there was more of an oppurtunity there to make some money. Whether its sooner or later,college or pros. I just find it suspicious that kids are leaving NYC to go to Jersey, for instance the kid from Molloy. Jack Curran is a great coach who has put kids in great college programs and into the pros.

First. . he didn't leave Molloy. . he was kicked out...   

Do you realzie how close St. Anthony is to NYC and how easy it is for kids to get there. . I am actually surprised more kids from city have not gone there over the years...

Did you say Hurley is dirty. . NO   but when we are only talking about one NJ school and you make refernce to being dirty..  its clear who you are making reference too...

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 05:29:10 PM »

Do you realzie how close St. Anthony is to NYC and how easy it is for kids to get there. . I am actually surprised more kids from city have not gone there over the years...

Did you say Hurley is dirty. . NO   but when we are only talking about one NJ school and you make refernce to being dirty..  its clear who you are making reference too...

Exactly, why havent more kids gone over there in past years? Why are they going now all of a sudden? Thats why it seems suspicious. I never used the words "dirty" or 'cheater".

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 03:48:44 AM »

Did you say Hurley is dirty. . NO   but when we are only talking about one NJ school and you make refernce to being dirty..  its clear who you are making reference too...

Exactly, why havent more kids gone over there in past years? Why are they going now all of a sudden? Thats why it seems suspicious. I never used the words "dirty" or 'cheater".
Playing time
Hurley just sent a staggering amount of kids to varying levels of D-I basketball.
This past season was basically Cheek and the Seniors.

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 09:21:36 PM »
JC like the 6th borough. PATH even better than the reg subway. And cheaper if I believe it right.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 09:16:43 AM »
School Lists :

http://blog.northstarbball.com/

Devon Collier ’10, St. Anthony's (NJ): St. John's, Wake Forest, Stanford, Villanova, Miami, Marquette, Syracuse, Virginia, Virginia Tech, LSU, Providence, Xavier, Temple, South Carolina, Rutgers, Fordham, Georgetown, and St. Joseph's

Offers: St. John's, Wake Forest, Miami, Marquette, Syracuse, Virginia, Virginia Tech, LSU, Providence, Xavier, Temple, South Carolina, Rutgers, Fordham, Georgetown, and St. Joseph's

Favorites: St. John's, Wake Forest, Stanford, Villanova, Miami, Marquette, Syracuse, Virginia, Virginia Tech, LSU, and Georgetown

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

kjd01067

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 11:27:18 AM »
http://stjohns.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=851582

September 17, 2008

Chris Wallace
CavsCorner.com

The class of 2010 is loaded with versatile forward prospects. Included in that group is Devon Collier, who has transferred to storied St. Anthony's in Jersey City, N.J., for his final two years of high school.

Four-star forward Devon Collier will play for St. Anthony's this season.
The 6-foot-7, 205-pounder is a long, athletic wing performer who can also play around the basket. Collier is drawing serious interest from top programs across the country, and Virginia is among his most active pursuers.

Collier, a native of the Bronx in New York, played his first two seasons of high school basketball at All Hallows High School, but he decided to make the move to St. Anthony's to play against the best competition and to play for legendary coach Bob Hurley.

So how would Collier describe the game that he and his father have built and continue to work on?

"I think my college position will be small forward. I let the game come to me," Collier said. "I move the ball around and I'm very unselfish. I like to attack the basket and if I get doubled I'll kick it out and if not I'll take it to the basket. The main things I'm trying to improve are my jump shot, my speed and my handle."

As far as recruiting goes, Collier has numerous suitors at this point.

When asked which schools were showing the most interest, Collier rattled off a long list that included UVa, St. John's, Wake Forest, Miami, Marquette, Rutgers, Stanford, LSU, Xavier, South Carolina, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Temple, Providence and Fordham.

Have any leaders emerged at this stage of Collier's recruitment?

"Things are wide open right now," he said. "I haven't visited any schools yet but I might try to take some visits this fall."

Collier added that he's nowhere close to making a decision about which school he'll attend, but he does have some criteria in mind for making a choice.

"I'm looking for a school that will play their freshmen. I want to play my first year," Collier said. "And I'm also looking for a good coaching staff and a good environment."

Rivals.com rates Collier as a four-star prospect and the No. 94 overall player in the class of 2010.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 11:27:59 AM by kjd01067 »

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 12:30:51 PM »
Devon Collier was on this AM on ESPNU - ST. Anthony vs Putnam City (Xavier Henry's team).  I'm pretty impressed with him - good body control, good rebounding, more athletic than I thought he would be, and long.  I hope he's still a top target for the staff.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Re: Devon Collier - C - St. Anthony's - Jersey City, NJ
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 02:52:59 PM »
From SI.com:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/kevin_armstrong/01/20/hoop.hall/index.html

Playing for the first time, transfer Devon Collier, who could not play until Monday due to transfer rules in New Jersey that forces newcomers to sit 30 days, showed why ACC and Big East schools are after him. Collier, a long, lean lefty who has been working on his ball handling, went for 19 points and 10 rebounds in his debut. "He is the best basketball player on that team right now,' said one scout. "That's including [Villanova signee] Dominic Cheek."
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 02:54:39 PM by peter »

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 04:02:13 PM »
 "And I'm also looking for a good coaching staff and a good environment."

damn...

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 05:52:13 PM »
"And I'm also looking for a good coaching staff and a good environment."

damn...
On the positive end of the spectrum, he was a New Heights kid [although Hurley tends to limit the influence of AAU coaches] and Quartlebaum was in the building yesterday.

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 11:42:22 PM »
I was there for the game.  Collier played really well and Hurley realllllllly loves his game.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap