oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
Re: Ashton Pankey - PF - St. Anthony HS - Jersey City, NJ
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 03:16:37 PM »
Roberts On Hand For Joe Brown Tourney

Jay Gomes, NJHoops.com

July 16, 2008

http://stjohns.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=827192

The July live period is the busiest time of year for scouts as well as college coaches. The tournaments run for early in the morning until late at night. The Joe Brown Memorial Tournament featured 40 teams and had 60 games on Sunday at Fairleigh Dickinson University and 6 games on Monday at Paterson Catholic High School in Paterson.

Most college coaches left after Sunday's games for another important tournament in West Virginia. There were a few coaches who stayed right until the final buzzer of the 2008 Joe Brown Memorial Tournament. Those schools that were there at the very end:

Seton Hall - Assistant Coach Kevin Murphy
St. Peter's - Assistant Coach John Morton
Providence - Assistant Coach Pat Skerry
St. John's - Head Coach Norm Roberts & Assistant Coach Chris Casey
Manhattan - Head Coach Barry Rohrssen
Fordham - Assistant Coach Jared Grasso
Robert Morris - Assistant Coach Andy Toole
Binghamton - Assistant Coach Julius Allen

St. Anthony's 6-foot-8 Jr. Ashton Pankey who is rated among the top 10 juniors in the state in a real strong class, was among the high major recruits in the championship games.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 03:17:24 PM by oldred10 »

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

pmg911

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 03:32:05 PM »
Does anyone think Bob Hurley Sr is going to send anyone St. John's way anytime soon..

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 09:39:11 AM »
Does anyone think Bob Hurley Sr is going to send anyone St. John's way anytime soon..

Sure Why not?

pmg911

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 10:09:16 AM »

Sure Why not?

Coach Hurley, who is a very loyal person, was not happy about St. John's handled Eljiah Ingram..   right or wrong...      he tends to push kids to people he completely trusts...

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 09:22:07 AM »

Sure Why not?

Coach Hurley, who is a very loyal person, was not happy about St. John's handled Eljiah Ingram..   right or wrong...      he tends to push kids to people he completely trusts...

SJU was in a very tough spot. It was either get rid of everybody directly involved in the Pitt scandal... or cut our McD's all-american pg a break based solely on his ability to help the team on the court.... Although the SJU brass should thank their lucky stars that Elijah was smart enough to record that whore with his phone while she tried to shake them down for more money. Because if he didn't that situation could have turned into a complete circus if they had to go to trial. The schools rep took a hit already but it could have been much, MUCH worse...  :o :-[ ... If that is the reason Hurley holds a grudge against SJU it is a very unfortunate situation. Because the only person he is hurting is his player & their family. For example, if a kid like Pankey wanted to stay close to home he would be a perfect fit at SJU. Because by his sophmore year he would be thrust right into the starting line-up as Burrell's replacement. Plus, unlike that bald stooge Jarvis, Norm & co. actually look out for their players on/off the court & especially in the classroom.... Hopefully one day that bridge could be mended for the sake of everybody involved..  :) .. peace!

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 09:58:53 AM »
If Hurley is a disciplinarian who tries to mold his players into responsible young men, how could he be upset with St. John's for disciplining the players---specifically Elijah---who were involved in the Pitt scandal.  Isn't that disingenuous?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 11:47:17 AM »
It might have to do with some of the rhetoric that come out around then (Fr. Harrington's comment about the "culture" of the team), or about how swiftly they "permanently suspended" Ingram (who hadn't been in trouble previous to that) + co to make the school look better/ stave off a media hit.  The guys didn't assault anyone, and what they did might not have merited the harsh response from the (embarrassed) administration. 

I don't know why Hurley has a mad on about what happened; I think the school was reacting to the image of being a "thug" school, but I think getting caught with an "I'm not a hooker" hooker merited some kind of sanction on the kids.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B01E6DC113BF935A35751C0A9629C8B63

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 12:15:51 PM »
The school is bound to enforce not only the general moral standards that any institution of higher learning would with regard to their student-athletes, but they are also bound by the moral dictates of the Catholic Church.  I don't know if all of the players were discipline proportionate to their actions (since I don't know the details of what each did), but the school had to take action.    While I didn't like the talk of possibly eliminating the basketball program, as an alum, I was glad that something was done. 

The road to recovery has been slow and painful  but I'm confident that we are headed in the right direction.  If local H.S. coaches refuse to steer any of their players to us, I'm sure they are doing some of them a disservice.  While some find a better opportunity elsewhere, there are some for whom St. John's would be the right fit.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 12:16:31 PM by simplyred »

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 03:35:39 PM »
It a long road. And it just gets longer.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 03:54:58 PM »
The school is bound to enforce not only the general moral standards that any institution of higher learning would with regard to their student-athletes, but they are also bound by the moral dictates of the Catholic Church.  I don't know if all of the players were discipline proportionate to their actions (since I don't know the details of what each did), but the school had to take action.    While I didn't like the talk of possibly eliminating the basketball program, as an alum, I was glad that something was done. 

The road to recovery has been slow and painful  but I'm confident that we are headed in the right direction.  If local H.S. coaches refuse to steer any of their players to us, I'm sure they are doing some of them a disservice.  While some find a better opportunity elsewhere, there are some for whom St. John's would be the right fit.

That about sums it up simplyred... excellent post... peace!

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2009, 03:04:19 PM »
One team that has many following their progress in IS8 is New Heights (Jrs). On Saturday, NBE was able to catch up with a couple of their forwards in Ashton Pankey and Devon Collier, who both play for Bob Hurley at St. Anthony’s of Jersey City (NJ).

Collier rattled off a list that included Memphis, Pittsburgh, Wake Forest, North Carolina State and Virginia of offers he is considering currently.

Pankey listed Xavier, Fordham, Wake Forest and St. John’s as his offers of interest currently.

Both players indicated a desire to play their college ball in the Big East conference

gonzalo

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2009, 03:07:55 AM »
http://w3.nbebasketball.com/2009/06/14/rumble-in-the-bronx-day-two-part-ii/

Another of the New Heights/St. Anthony’s big men is Ashton Pankey, who will take the advice of his legendary high school coach Bob Hurley and hit several camps this summer for more exposure. From the Big East, the power forward counts offers from Providence, West Virginia and St. John’s with UConn and Pitt looking.

gonzalo

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 01:58:08 AM »
http://www.fiveborosports.com/ssp/news?news_id=3495

Gaining consistency, Ashton Pankey emerges

Ashton Pankey continued to progress as last week's Reebok All-American Camp in front of hundreds of Division I college coaches.

By Zachary Braziller

July 12, 2009

Ashton Pankey begrudgingly transferred from Archbishop Molloy HS in Briarwood Queens to St. Anthony in Jersey City last year.

He couldn’t be happier with his good fortune now.

His grades have improved, to an 85 average and 1400 on the SATs, and his maturity is obvious. He is more confident, on the court and off. He is a harder worker.

The switch from one legendary coach, Jack Curran at Molloy, to another in Bob Hurley at St. Anthony has had a resounding effect on Pankey.

Lifting weights for the first time, he is stronger; his conditioning improved, too. Facing better competition forced him to improve on a daily basis. He has become a rebounding and shot-blocking force, and a deadlier threat in the paint offensively.

“I’m more disciplined now,” said Pankey, who still lives at home in the Bronx, making the commute to Jersey City every day during the school year. “I’m happy with my situation.”

The athletically gifted, 6-foot-8 Pankey competed in the Reebok All-American Camp last week at Philadelphia University, making the all-star team. He has received scholarship offers from LaSalle, Temple, Manhattan, St. John’s and Rhode Island and interest from Louisville, USC and Syracuse.

“He’s strong, talented. … I think he has a great upside,” one Big East assistant coach said. “He makes the 15-foot jump shot, makes layups. That’s important, when a big guy makes layups.”

Pankey got a late start to basketball, joining Team Odom in the sixth grade, at the age of 11. Two years later, he found his way to New Heights, an emerging AAU program.

In a lengthy interview, he never once talked about what he has accomplished; it was what he needed to master to improve. It’s music to Kimani Young’s ears. The New Heights athletic director sees that as a reflection of Hurley, his new coach. 

“He’s driven,” Young said. “Obviously playing for Coach Hurley is going to push him to his limits, and that can only help him as a player and a person.”

Young, who coaches Pankey during the fall and summer, said consistency – “when he wants to bring it every day, the sky is the limit,” he said – is the lone characteristic holding back the talented forward. He’s seen that relentlessness recently, particularly in Philadelphia.

“He’s been competing at a high level,” Young said.

Pankey said he would like to add diversity to his game, to become a threat on the perimeter as well as in the paint, where he can finish with either hand. Blessed with quickness and soft hands, Pankey said he feels he can play small forward at the next level. Before that, Young wants him to develop a go-to move on the low blocks, a jump hook or turnaround jumper to complement his power game.

“That will come with time,” Young said.

His development may never have taken place if not for the incident that painted Pankey in a poor light. School officials accused him of possessing a stolen cell phone on school grounds; he said he paid for it, only to learn it was stolen later. Pankey eventually withdrew from Molloy after being told he was no longer wanted.

He said it bothered him that the negative information got out before he could clear his name and set the record straight.

Looking back, he said, it was a blessing.

“At the end of the day look at where I am now,” Pankey said. “I have great colleges (recruiting me). I’m playing great.”

zbraziller@fiveborosports.com

gonzalo

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 01:51:02 AM »
http://w3.nbebasketball.com/2009/07/31/summer-in-the-city-news-notes-12-noon-update/

Ashton Pankey heard from Maryland just yesterday. Other interested schools include Pittsburgh, St. John’s, Hofstra, USC, Miami, Siena, Fordham and Oregon State. He has offers from Western Kentucky, Houston and Rice, who has been showing him the most interest.

Pankey is wide open, but currently he would rate his three favorites as Rice, Manhattan and St. John’s.

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2009, 09:50:45 PM »
http://blog.northstarbball.com/2009/09/22/college-commitment-projections-september-edition-part-4.aspx

Ashton Pankey, PF, 6'8, St. Anthony's (NJ), n/a
Favorite: Rice
2nd in Line: Maryland
3rd in Line: Providence
Watch Out for: Pitt, St. John's
Pankey's recruitment is a tough one to read. In addition to Rice, Maryland, Providence, Pitt, and St. John's, there are several other schools heavily involved, such as Manhattan, Western Kentucky, Houston, Siena, and Miami. As of now, it does not seem that the big man has locked in on wanting to attend a high-major school and there are certainly a handful of mid-major schools still in play. Rice looks like it could be the leader at this point. The Owls recently had an in-home visit with Pankey and have also done a great job of recruiting New Jersey schools. The C-USA program has not wrapped of Pankey yet, but Ben Braun and Co. seem to be in good shape. Maryland is probably more likely to get Pankey than it is Collier. The ACC school needs a big man, and Pankey might be on who would want to go to College Park. A trio of Big East schools are also solidly in play. Of the trio—Providence, Pitt, and St. John's—PC might be in the best shape. Keno Davis is a fantastic recruiter and is a major player here. Pitt has been working the NYC area—Ashton is from the Big Apple—and Pankey would be a good get for Jamie Dixon. St. John's is looking to land one of the New Heights trio of Pankey, Collier, and Jayvaughn Pinkston and would likely be happy with any of them. Norm Roberts is working hard to get Pankey and the Red Storm should not be ruled out.

pmg911

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2009, 09:23:23 AM »
nice update

LJSA

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2009, 03:46:36 PM »
It looks like we are out.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/10/01/pankey-to-visit-maryland-st-joes-crosgile-sidelined/

I think we've been out for a while. It's only a real loss if we whiff on everyone we have ahead of him on our list, but he seems like he could be a nice player. The impression I get is that he has all the tools, but just needs to learn to play with a fire under his ass at all times.

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2009, 07:06:59 PM »

I think we've been out for a while. It's only a real loss if we whiff on everyone we have ahead of him on our list, but he seems like he could be a nice player. The impression I get is that he has all the tools, but just needs to learn to play with a fire under his ass at all times.
Harris,
Southwell,
Lamb,
Irving,
Collier,
 Moore,
Odom,
Basabe
Pinkston
Roberts
Yeguette

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/11/11/pinkston-lamb-may-sign-late-complete-new-york-area-signing-day-roundup/

**Ashton Pankey, a 6-8 forward from New York who plays at St. Anthony, will visit Houston this weekend and will then decide between Houston and Maryland, which he visited last weekend.

“He really liked Maryland and I know he wants to be able to compare Maryland to another school,” St. Anthony coach Bob Hurley said.

“He’ll make a decision right after his visit,” Young added.

http://www.testudotimes.com/2009/11/11/1126228/hippo-to-memphis#comments

According to Scout and Rivals, he has signed his LOI with Memphis. I would guess that this has more to do with academics than anything else.

Ashton Pankey, come on down...