Ashton Pankey - PF - Maryland Transfer - Bronx, NY

• 176 replies
Re: Ashton Pankey - PF - Maryland Transfer - Bronx, NY
« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2012, 09:33:13 PM »
I think there is a large disparity in being a "capable" player and being an "impact" player. Is Pankey capable of playing in the Big East? Sure but he isn't an impact guy. He might be a good boost due to necessity and for that he deserves a look but he is better suited to check out the MAAC to be an impact player.

Its obviously going to be a big choice for Pankey but he would get 15-18 minutes a game at St Johns and part of something special. He has always been a role player so maybe he is comfortable with that

Get 15 mins a game or start for the rest of his career at Iona and lead his team to tourney? He is a space eater and 5 fouls at St Johns, alot more in the MAAC imo

paultzman

« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2012, 09:42:20 PM »
On a side note, Lawrence is much more of a 4 than he is a 3 where Moe Harkless was much more of a 3 than a 4.

I think both players are best off at the 3.. Every time I have seen Lawrence .. he was always facing the basket and was comfortable handling it left to right.  I haven't seen him since he went to jersey though.  Has he developed a back to the basket game? 

Agree with you Happy.

« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2012, 10:10:06 PM »
Looking at Pankey's game log from last year, it looks like he had a year similar to Gift. He excelled against the cupcakes early on scoring and rebounding in double digits but then fell off against the real competition. But, we could definitely use the size.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/51509/ashton-pankey
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 10:11:30 PM by redstorm212 »

« Reply #103 on: May 16, 2012, 10:25:40 PM »
Looking at Pankey's game log from last year, it looks like he had a year similar to Gift. He excelled against the cupcakes early on scoring and rebounding in double digits but then fell off against the real competition. But, we could definitely use the size.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/51509/ashton-pankey

2 points against THE Iona Gaels. I like the 11 boards though.

Chilleb

« Reply #104 on: May 16, 2012, 10:48:26 PM »
Who's our second scoring option anyway? I like pan key but only If we get chandler too. We need somebody to throw it down too in the half court.

« Reply #105 on: May 16, 2012, 11:04:40 PM »
Who's our second scoring option anyway? I like pan key but only If we get chandler too. We need somebody to throw it down too in the half court.

Garrett and Pointer. Im high on both these guys next season

Chilleb

« Reply #106 on: May 16, 2012, 11:08:08 PM »

Garrett and Pointer. Im high on both these guys next season
I hope so, neither can create a shot for themselves as of now. Garrett a bit better then pointer but can only go left.

Poison

« Reply #107 on: May 16, 2012, 11:18:22 PM »

We don't have a second scoring option. Hopefully Pointer works out the kinks and Lavor Postells this summer. We need that kind of improvement from him, Greene and Garrett. Gift needs the most work which is why I doubt he'll improve any if at all.

goredmen

« Reply #108 on: May 16, 2012, 11:19:11 PM »
Pankey is a guy that walks up and down the court and plays with no desire or intensity. he would be a horrible fit for this team

« Reply #109 on: May 16, 2012, 11:29:43 PM »

We don't have a second scoring option. Hopefully Pointer works out the kinks and Lavor Postells this summer. We need that kind of improvement from him, Greene and Garrett. Gift needs the most work which is why I doubt he'll improve any if at all.

This is where Branch comes in. Garrett and Pointer should be his best friends. Set them up in good position to put it in the hole, he'll average 10 assists a game. The season only goes as far as Branch and Greene take us

Chilleb

« Reply #110 on: May 17, 2012, 12:03:32 AM »
Pankey is a guy that walks up and down the court and plays with no desire or intensity. he would be a horrible fit for this team
A change of scenery could call for a change of attitude

pmg911

« Reply #111 on: May 17, 2012, 07:05:30 AM »
Heard last night it that is going to be a street fight between Iona & Manhattan for Pankey..

Dave - great decription of Pankey's game. I heard last night that his leg issues will keep most big schools away.

Poison

« Reply #112 on: May 17, 2012, 07:51:39 AM »

This is where Branch comes in. Garrett and Pointer should be his best friends. Set them up in good position to put it in the hole, he'll average 10 assists a game. The season only goes as far as Branch and Greene take us

I agree for the most part, but both Dom and Amir have to work on their jump shot or we will continue to see a zone often.

paultzman

« Reply #113 on: May 17, 2012, 08:03:03 AM »
No one suggesting Pankey is the second coming of Elton Brand. He would be a decent sub, banger and rebounder for a team without that asset. Assuming we get Chandler, the need for another big body IMO is evident. Beats Raffington type guys. He may want to be the big fish, however, so he goes to a MAAC team. That is fine.

SJU85

« Reply #114 on: May 17, 2012, 08:14:15 AM »
Heard last night it that is going to be a street fight between Iona & Manhattan for Pankey..

Dave - great decription of Pankey's game. I heard last night that his leg issues will keep most big schools away.

What are the issues with his leg?

« Reply #115 on: May 17, 2012, 08:28:30 AM »
I think there is a large disparity in being a "capable" player and being an "impact" player. Is Pankey capable of playing in the Big East? Sure but he isn't an impact guy. He might be a good boost due to necessity and for that he deserves a look but he is better suited to check out the MAAC to be an impact player.
True Dave.  However, I believe Pankey is a more than capable rebounder.  I just wouldn't want to get slaughtered on the boards next season.  If Obekpa or Chandler, etc., come in, then Pankey would be a luxury sub. But the limited offensive skills may never materialize at high D1.  So yes, he should keep it in Bronx and go with Manhattan  ;D
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 08:29:24 AM by bball purist »

Moose

« Reply #116 on: May 17, 2012, 08:37:42 AM »

Would love to see how Iona plans on getting him on board with a full set of schollies.
Remember who broke the Slice news

pmg911

« Reply #117 on: May 17, 2012, 12:28:30 PM »
Pankey has very bad shin splints

redslope

« Reply #118 on: May 17, 2012, 02:07:01 PM »
From what i have read and the clips on this esteemed site, I can clearly see that Ashton would not be the "key" to our success next year.  He might not even "pan" out as player at this level.

ras

« Reply #119 on: May 17, 2012, 03:31:37 PM »
From what i have read and the clips on this esteemed site, I can clearly see that Ashton would not be the "key" to our success next year.  He might not even "pan" out as player at this level.
If we dont get MC or CO and if he would be able to play next year he can provide depth at the 4,5. If he has bad legs,however, dont think he is worth it.