Ashton Pankey - PF - Maryland Transfer - Bronx, NY

• 176 replies

DFF6

Re: Ashton Pankey - PF - Maryland Transfer - Bronx, NY
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2012, 05:09:34 PM »
1) he'll probably get the waiver because of his injury, coaching change etc.

2) is he any good or at least worth taking into the program? 

He's a big kid which we desperately need and he's from an ACC program.  He could possibly help us if he's playing right away.  Not sure if it's worth it if he's not going to play this season.  Thoughts?

My sense is he will get the family related waiver. Who doesn't today? He would bring strength, size and rebounding, fitting a need for us. Tough call if it puts Collier at risk, but I believe Lavin can work that out. Getting two bigs this late would be great. Louisville and UConn last year shuffled the cards to make things work when exceeding ship count. Sure we can as well IMO.

Collier? 

paultzman

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2012, 05:12:13 PM »
1) he'll probably get the waiver because of his injury, coaching change etc.

2) is he any good or at least worth taking into the program? 

He's a big kid which we desperately need and he's from an ACC program.  He could possibly help us if he's playing right away.  Not sure if it's worth it if he's not going to play this season.  Thoughts?

My sense is he will get the family related waiver. Who doesn't today? He would bring strength, size and rebounding, fitting a need for us. Tough call if it puts Collier at risk, but I believe Lavin can work that out. Getting two bigs this late would be great. Louisville and UConn last year shuffled the cards to make things work when exceeding ship count. Sure we can as well IMO.

Collier? 

Meant Chandler! Sorry, guess I had Pankey's buddy Devon Collier on my feeble mind!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 05:15:49 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2012, 05:51:11 PM »
With Rhoomes already at Fordham, why are they even on his list? (Maybe he won't be eligible?) Also, the minute he sigjns at St Johns, he gets recruited over. He'll start right away at Iona. No brainer imo.

« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2012, 05:52:19 PM »
I thought Iona was out of ships?

Poison

« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2012, 06:00:39 PM »
I like what Wood can do, but we still don't have a center. To take this kid, and start the season with mid major height would make it very hard our front court to succeed w out being very polished.

« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2012, 06:03:38 PM »
I thought Iona was out of ships?

I'm still thinking someone is leaving Iona, if not, make room.

redslope

« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2012, 06:48:20 PM »
Is it only me or are there others who are sick and tired of these "hardship" transfers.  I don't think any transferee should be able to transfer without sitting out (unless there is a change of head coach who recruited you or the program is placed on NCAA probation).  If a transferee has to "come home" because someone is sick in their family how can they care for that person while being a full time student and a full time athlete.  It would seem to me that the trandferee should be spending time to make the hardship better.  If the NCAA gets rid of this easy out maybe the athletes will be a little bit more cautious in making their choice in the first place.

Marillac

« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2012, 06:50:40 PM »
Remember he burned his redshirt year already.  So unless he gets a waiver to play immediately OR he down the road applies for a 6th year he will basically LOSE a full year of eligibility because of the transfer assuming he has to sit a year.

He's probably going to get the waiver to play right away.  Also, it's pretty safe to say he's going to get the sixth year if the NCAA denies his waiver this year.   Scott Martin was just given a sixth year at Notre Dame with a very similar background--one year out for transfer and one year out with injury. 

I'd take this kid for sure if he can get that waiver.  He's probably a better fit for Iona, but we could definitely use a strong kid like Pankey. 

« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2012, 06:52:44 PM »
Is it only me or are there others who are sick and tired of these "hardship" transfers.  I don't think any transferee should be able to transfer without sitting out (unless there is a change of head coach who recruited you or the program is placed on NCAA probation).  If a transferee has to "come home" because someone is sick in their family how can they care for that person while being a full time student and a full time athlete.  It would seem to me that the trandferee should be spending time to make the hardship better.  If the NCAA gets rid of this easy out maybe the athletes will be a little bit more cautious in making their choice in the first place.

Ashton signed wit Gary.

Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

redslope

« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2012, 06:57:44 PM »
Choz--thanks for info.  Under my 2 scenarios he should be able to transfer and play immediately.  It is outside of those 2 scenarios that I have a problem with the rule.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 06:58:02 PM by redslope »

« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2012, 07:35:25 PM »
E
I'd take him if he's eligible to play immediately because he fits a need. He's a capable body however he'd be better suited to transfer to a school like Iona.

Since he had a medical redshirt he is allowed to keep that year of eligibility transferring. If it wasn't due to medical he would lose it. I'm 95% sure on that.

I agree that I would only really be interested if he gets the waiver.

6th years are never automatic.  There are circumstances where the NCAA is more sympathetic to granting a 6th year, no doubt.  But it still has to be applied for just like Scott Martin.

The rule is you get 5 years to complete 4 years of playing eligibility.  Period.  If you need to more years to complete your eligibility regardless of the circumstances you must apply for an exception.

sju89tr

« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2012, 07:48:22 PM »
With Rhoomes already at Fordham, why are they even on his list? (Maybe he won't be eligible?) Also, the minute he sigjns at St Johns, he gets recruited over. He'll start right away at Iona. No brainer imo.

I don't know if he gets recruited over, we seem to not recruit too many kids that are a true 4 and have the bulk to mess around inside.

paultzman

« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2012, 07:49:08 PM »
Remember he burned his redshirt year already.  So unless he gets a waiver to play immediately OR he down the road applies for a 6th year he will basically LOSE a full year of eligibility because of the transfer assuming he has to sit a year.

He's probably going to get the waiver to play right away.  Also, it's pretty safe to say he's going to get the sixth year if the NCAA denies his waiver this year.   Scott Martin was just given a sixth year at Notre Dame with a very similar background--one year out for transfer and one year out with injury. 

I'd take this kid for sure if he can get that waiver.  He's probably a better fit for Iona, but we could definitely use a strong kid like Pankey. 

+1

« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2012, 07:51:27 PM »
Would Lavin take him even if there is still hope for Chandler to qualify?

sju89tr

« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2012, 07:57:33 PM »

I think we would take both and figure out the ship situation

MCNPA

« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2012, 08:00:59 PM »
I looked at some film on him at Maryland.  He's certainly somebody we can use if he gets cleared to play right away.  He's a big, physical player who doesn't pretend to be a perimeter guy.  I'd love to add Pankey AND Chandler heading into next year. I don't care whether or not he gets an extra year of eligibility.  He can help us right now and won't necessarily get automatically get recruited over.  Seems like a worthwhile pickup for sure IF immediately eligible. 

paultzman

« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2012, 08:04:16 PM »

Agree Ted!!

DFF6

« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2012, 08:08:31 PM »

Agree Ted!!

But doesn't figuring out "the ship situation" require addition by substraction?  Someone currently holding or committed to a ship has to go, correct?

paultzman

« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2012, 08:12:57 PM »
Staff will figure this out if we decide to take two bigs. Again, look at how Loisville and UConn made it work last year.

DFF6

« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2012, 08:21:30 PM »
Staff will figure this out if we decide to take two bigs. Again, look at how Loisville and UConn made it work last year.

Well, I was shocked when Drummond agreed to walk on to free up a ship at Uconn, so I guess it's possible not to lose any remaining players if we take two bigs.  I'm just not banking on that happening.