Ashton Pankey - PF - Maryland Transfer - Bronx, NY

• 176 replies
Re: Ashton Pankey - PF - Maryland Transfer - Bronx, NY
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2012, 08:31:53 PM »
Staff will figure this out if we decide to take two bigs. Again, look at how Loisville and UConn made it work last year.

There will be room if it comes to fruition.

The only thing about only wanting Pankey if he gets the waiver is of course you don't know about the waiver until AFTER he has signed and is a member of your program.  Only then can you apply for it and if it is deniedyou have already committed yourself anyway. 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 09:37:09 PM by fordham96 »

« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2012, 08:34:08 PM »
If he signed and then the ncaa screwed us again I suggest the NY Post headline " Hanky Pankey "

gman

« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2012, 09:08:03 PM »
Staff will figure this out if we decide to take two bigs. Again, look at how Loisville and UConn made it work last year.

That made uconn look really bad.

Moose

« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2012, 09:22:40 PM »

That made uconn look really bad.

It wont be that bad
Remember who broke the Slice news

pmg911

« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2012, 08:27:15 AM »
He's a capable body however he'd be better suited to transfer to a school like Iona.

Curious, what is the reasoning behind thinking he is better suited at a school like Iona. He is coming from an ACC school where he played significant minutesa and you think he needs to click down a level in play as a transfer.?

Not saying you are wrong but what are the basketball reasons behind that thought or is it just opinion..?

paultzman

« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2012, 08:36:41 AM »
He's a capable body however he'd be better suited to transfer to a school like Iona.

Curious, what is the reasoning behind thinking he is better suited at a school like Iona. He is coming from an ACC school where he played significant minutesa and you think he needs to click down a level in play as a transfer.?

Not saying you are wrong but what are the basketball reasons behind that thought or is it just opinion..?

Concur with you PMG, Ashton can bang in BE and rebound, all we need from him!

sju89tr

« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2012, 09:14:25 AM »

I agree with PMG too, Pankey is a Big East player, I don't think with his size and the need for players like him on a high Div 1 program that he drops to an Iona type program and conference.

MCNPA

« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2012, 09:32:14 AM »

I agree with PMG too, Pankey is a Big East player, I don't think with his size and the need for players like him on a high Div 1 program that he drops to an Iona type program and conference.

Agree Ted.  I think that guys like Baldi are hoping for that to be true.   If Lavin wants this kid, he'll get him.  Hes not a lower level player. Teams like Seton Hall aren't landing bigs as good with the exception of Pope of course.  With our need for a big and him likely being immediately available, I think he will be a real option.  He'd fit right in with Gift in the post. Solve an immediate problem.

Poison

« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2012, 09:37:43 AM »
Would Pankey play over Gift? Does anyone know his game?

« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2012, 10:14:21 AM »
Why didn't Rhoomes come to St Johns? Is Pankey better? Do you think the staff has Pankey as a 3 year starter?

« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2012, 10:18:46 AM »
Why would he play over gift?  He most likely would need to sit out a year as a transfer, doesn't sound like he has a family health issue to where the NCAA would let him play right away. Right?

sju89tr

« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2012, 10:24:42 AM »
Why would he play over gift?  He most likely would need to sit out a year as a transfer, doesn't sound like he has a family health issue to where the NCAA would let him play right away. Right?

I believe his mother is sick. He could play over Gift, he might be better but likely would come off the bench.

MCNPA

« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2012, 10:48:57 AM »
Why didn't Rhoomes come to St Johns? Is Pankey better? Do you think the staff has Pankey as a 3 year starter?

Pankey is bigger and better than Rhoomes from what I've heard.  Again, one an ACC player.  He could split time with Gift and offer us a lot with two big men and 5 more fouls to give.  Plus he's 6'9" and can defend the post against taller players more effectively than Gift.  BTW, why does the staff have to have Pankey as a 3-year starter?  I don't think the staff recruits anybody to start their entire career.  They recruit the best talent knowing some will stay, some will go to NBA and other places.  I sense Baldi throwing a little gasoline on the fire here.

MCNPA

« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2012, 10:50:23 AM »

I believe his mother is sick. He could play over Gift, he might be better but likely would come off the bench.

He might get a waiver due to the collective circumstances of season ending injury, new staff coupled with family issue.  Multiple issues where there is a good chance NCAA could grant him immediate eligibility.

« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2012, 10:52:25 AM »
Bball....you got a scoring report for us?
Sorry for the delay. 

A few things:  With all the promising bigs coming in for MD last year and this year's class, Pankey still would have seen solid minutes as probably the first big off the bench, eventually ceding some time to Shaq Cleare as the 2012-13 season goes on.

I do think Ashton's mom is not feeling well lately (meaning it's legit, not the "family member ill cause it's not workin' for me" syndrome)

That being said, Stoglin (not liking school that much), Mychal Parker (not grasping systems well), and Ashton (too many bigs, inconsistent play) were the subject of the transfer rumor mill a lot of last season.  The weed got Stogs and Parker suspended for next year, and Ashton may have simply needed to be there for his mom.   

In my opinion, I liked what I saw in Ashton last season considering the multiple leg injuries, and liked what I could see Ashton's game becoming.  He's agile, pursues rebounds hard with a nose for where the ball will be, and runs the floor well.  Ashton's athleticism on D has always been his calling card, and on offense, he showed signs of a decent 8-12 foot jumper. Ashton sometimes wore his emotions on his sleeve, and many fans did not take to his body mannerisms on the court.  That's not to say he didn't play hard about 80-90% of the time, but just that he's hard on himself and shows it.  He seems like a solid guy (I've tweeted the past 2 years as fellow Bronx-ites (lol)). 

I think Ashton could make an excellent backup C/PF, and if he plays hard all the time and gets his 20-25 minutes/game, can contribute
on the glass quite a bit.  I'd take a chance on Ashton since he has 3 years eligibility left w/ his medical redshirt of 2010-11 season.

Also, I'd like to see Ashton consider my alma mater Manhattan over Iona or Fordham - not a shred of D (sorry Baldi - u know it's true), and excessive losing would sway me away.  Steve Masiello is intense about defense - Ashton would be a good fit there as well as St. John's. But make no mistake, I consider Ashton a Big East caliber player.

Oh, and a blog I'm doing for fun with a couple of Terps fans talks briefly not only about Pankey, but the supposed reappearance of Volodymyr Gerun, a 6'9" PF from Ukraine that was bandied about in the summer of 2011.  When asked, Turgeon, on the job for all of 3 months, said he didn't know who he was - this right before Alex Len got on campus.  Same type of thin, agile, fundamentally sound Ukraine kid as Len that is developing good in the Ukraine program.  I hope Lavs starts working that circuit with St. john's having a similarly strong international presence like Maryland.  I will not be surprised to see MD land a Chinese big in the years to come with the MTECH (MD Tech Enterprise Institute) International Incubator going full force in Beijing.

http://ontheinsideoftheshell.blogspot.com/2012/05/volodymyr-gerun-mds-new-pf.html

« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 11:13:06 AM by bball purist »

sju89tr

« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2012, 10:54:03 AM »

Pankey is bigger and better than Rhoomes from what I've heard.  Again, one an ACC player.  He could split time with Gift and offer us a lot with two big men and 5 more fouls to give.  Plus he's 6'9" and can defend the post against taller players more effectively than Gift.  BTW, why does the staff have to have Pankey as a 3-year starter?  I don't think the staff recruits anybody to start their entire career.  They recruit the best talent knowing some will stay, some will go to NBA and other places.  I sense Baldi throwing a little gasoline on the fire here.

It's up to Pankey to become a starter, of course guys like Jakarr and perhaps Branch were promised that but everyone else needs to earn their minutes and I believe even DLo had to earn his starting position.     

« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2012, 10:55:59 AM »
With Rhoomes already at Fordham, why are they even on his list? (Maybe he won't be eligible?) Also, the minute he sigjns at St Johns, he gets recruited over. He'll start right away at Iona. No brainer imo.
Ashton may get recruited over for 2013 class (more than likely), but he is a Big East caliber 1st PF/C off the bench talent.  Remember, Ashton was the first Molloy player to play as a Frosh since Kenny Anderson - there's some serious rebounding talent there.  I just think Ashton needs to get his arms around playing 100% of the time.

« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2012, 10:57:31 AM »
If he signed and then the ncaa screwed us again I suggest the NY Post headline " Hanky Pankey "
For what the 2A has done to St. John's and UMD, I have a serious chip on my shoulder.

« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2012, 11:05:28 AM »
Pankey could be a pretty solid player. He has a good build and when he wanted to be, he was a solid rebounder. He was/is a headcase who was often pouting, had bad body language, lacked hustle, etc. But there were games where he would come out grab a rebound, throw down a dunk and all of the sudden he was into it and playing hard. His defense and bball iq were not strong the majority of the time.

He certainly capable of developing into a solid 3rd or 4th big off the bench.

SJU85

« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2012, 11:08:51 AM »
Is it only me or are there others who are sick and tired of these "hardship" transfers.  I don't think any transferee should be able to transfer without sitting out (unless there is a change of head coach who recruited you or the program is placed on NCAA probation).  If a transferee has to "come home" because someone is sick in their family how can they care for that person while being a full time student and a full time athlete.  It would seem to me that the trandferee should be spending time to make the hardship better.  If the NCAA gets rid of this easy out maybe the athletes will be a little bit more cautious in making their choice in the first place.

Make sure it is a tight and not rubber stamp rule, I agree, but take it away totally disagree.  Things happen in life and someone's health or situation may cause the need for a student to be closer to home.  Regardless of whether as a full time student athlete, they can be there 100% of the time or being just a short car ride from home instead of a plane or multi hour drive.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 08:04:58 AM by SJU85 »