Ashton Pankey - PF - Maryland Transfer - Bronx, NY

• 176 replies
Re: Ashton Pankey - PF - Maryland Transfer - Bronx, NY
« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2012, 11:16:01 AM »
Pankey could be a pretty solid player. He has a good build and when he wanted to be, he was a solid rebounder. He was/is a headcase who was often pouting, had bad body language, lacked hustle, etc. But there were games where he would come out grab a rebound, throw down a dunk and all of the sudden he was into it and playing hard. His defense and bball iq were not strong the majority of the time.

He certainly capable of developing into a solid 3rd or 4th big off the bench.
are you on Testudo Times or other Terps board?

MCNPA

« Reply #81 on: May 16, 2012, 11:18:58 AM »
Pankey could be a pretty solid player. He has a good build and when he wanted to be, he was a solid rebounder. He was/is a headcase who was often pouting, had bad body language, lacked hustle, etc. But there were games where he would come out grab a rebound, throw down a dunk and all of the sudden he was into it and playing hard. His defense and bball iq were not strong the majority of the time.

He certainly capable of developing into a solid 3rd or 4th big off the bench.

Sometimes it's the kid's IQ, but also sometimes it is the coaching.   That is not to say the coaching isn't good at UMD.  It's just that stylistically, some coaches can get across to kids in different ways.  We have lots of great coaches on our staff with different styles.  I have no doubt that guys like Dunlap can help do a bit of re-programming with some kids to help them understand the game better.  I saw how much Norm's juniors improved under Lavin/Dunlap and Co.  Kids that seemed not to "get it" like Burrell really changed a ton with the right staff.  Burrell admitted as much in his recent interview and credited the current staff with helping him learn the game.  I think we have the type of staff that can do that.  Pankey seems like the raw talent, size and athleticism that could potentially make big strides with the right coaching staff.

I think he's likely better than a 3rd or 4th big off the bench.  If he comes into the program and we don't land Chandler, I see him sharing half the time at the 5 for the next 2 years at least.  Even if we do land Chandler, he'll get time and then share with Chandler after this season.  It's a good situation both for Pankey and SJU.  Best case of course if he's immediately eligible.

« Reply #82 on: May 16, 2012, 11:42:00 AM »
Im on rivals and our main board on 247. Testudo Times isn't the best place in terms of the comments by posters.

And yea you never know how a player will react to coaching and maybe going through what he went through this last year will get him to change his ways a bit. Well see, Id love for him to come to St. John's and turn into a solid player.

« Reply #83 on: May 16, 2012, 12:32:07 PM »
Gift>Pankey. At this point we are desperate for Bigs we are willing to sign any big body who wants to come here
He is a solid back up 10 mins a game at the C slot. Worth a ship , IMO only if Chandler is not coming for sure. I think we should save it in that case.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 12:34:06 PM by KAHNIGHT »
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

« Reply #84 on: May 16, 2012, 04:23:10 PM »
He's a capable body however he'd be better suited to transfer to a school like Iona.

Curious, what is the reasoning behind thinking he is better suited at a school like Iona. He is coming from an ACC school where he played significant minutesa and you think he needs to click down a level in play as a transfer.?

Not saying you are wrong but what are the basketball reasons behind that thought or is it just opinion..?

He was over recruited to the ACC. He is a big man who is very limited offensively. He's a very good rebounder on the offensive end and average on the defensive end. 

Going to the MAAC he'd be a monster physically and he could be similar to Siena's OD Anosike where as he has a chance to be Dele Coker in the Big East.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #85 on: May 16, 2012, 05:06:48 PM »
I think there is a large disparity in being a "capable" player and being an "impact" player. Is Pankey capable of playing in the Big East? Sure but he isn't an impact guy. He might be a good boost due to necessity and for that he deserves a look but he is better suited to check out the MAAC to be an impact player.

TONYD3

« Reply #86 on: May 16, 2012, 08:06:34 PM »
We could have used dele last year. No nothing about this guy. Tired of watching us get killed on the boards. I would sign dele (knowing what dele is) right. Now. Hopefully he only has to play a few minutes

« Reply #87 on: May 16, 2012, 08:27:48 PM »
I think there is a large disparity in being a "capable" player and being an "impact" player. Is Pankey capable of playing in the Big East? Sure but he isn't an impact guy. He might be a good boost due to necessity and for that he deserves a look but he is better suited to check out the MAAC to be an impact player.

Well said Dave.  I think some posters think of Pankey as a fill in until Lavins snags a 2013 stud big man

Happy

« Reply #88 on: May 16, 2012, 08:45:45 PM »

Well said Dave.  I think some posters think of Pankey as a fill in until Lavins snags a 2013 stud big man

We aren't presently recruiting a 2013 stud big man.. At least none that are public knowledge.

« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2012, 08:49:04 PM »

We aren't presently recruiting a 2013 stud big man.. At least none that are public knowledge.

Why not? Gods Gift will be gone

Happy

« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2012, 08:53:49 PM »

Why not? Gods Gift will be gone

I think this is one reason why the staff wanted 2 big men this year .  Jermaine Lawrence is being recruited .. But he is not a 5 and truthfully shouldn't be playing the 4 .  New names pop up all the time though as you know.

« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2012, 08:55:01 PM »

Lawrence?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Happy

« Reply #92 on: May 16, 2012, 09:08:48 PM »

Lawrence?

Not a banger to me. More of a wing player .

« Reply #93 on: May 16, 2012, 09:15:43 PM »
Chandler getting eligible would be best case scenario for Baldi

sju89tr

« Reply #94 on: May 16, 2012, 09:20:25 PM »

Its obviously going to be a big choice for Pankey but he would get 15-18 minutes a game at St Johns and part of something special. He has always been a role player so maybe he is comfortable with that

« Reply #95 on: May 16, 2012, 09:21:32 PM »
For those who would know, who would be the better fit for us. Grabbing Pankey or Dickerson and try to develop him

Happy

« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2012, 09:23:04 PM »
For those who would know, who would be the better fit for us. Grabbing Pankey or Dickerson and try to develop him

Pankey is the better player to me. Not a huge fan of Dickerson at all.

paultzman

« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2012, 09:23:39 PM »

Pankey

« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2012, 09:28:27 PM »
On a side note, Lawrence is much more of a 4 than he is a 3 where Moe Harkless was much more of a 3 than a 4.

Happy

« Reply #99 on: May 16, 2012, 09:32:13 PM »
On a side note, Lawrence is much more of a 4 than he is a 3 where Moe Harkless was much more of a 3 than a 4.

I think both players are best off at the 3.. Every time I have seen Lawrence .. he was always facing the basket and was comfortable handling it left to right.  I haven't seen him since he went to jersey though.  Has he developed a back to the basket game?