Joel Wright - SF - Thomas Jefferson HS - Brooklyn, NY - DUSQUESNE

• 43 replies
West Virginia, St. John's, Hoftstra, Rutgers, UMass and Rhode Island are all in the mix early in the process for Joel White, the 2010 star for Juice

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=817725
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 12:32:10 AM by Dave »

Randomhero423

Re: Joel White - SF - Thomas Jefferson HS - Brooklyn, NY
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 09:42:38 AM »
he's pretty good. 

Randomhero423

Re: Joel White - SF - Thomas Jefferson HS - Brooklyn, NY
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 09:43:51 AM »

Re: Joel Wright - SF - Thomas Jefferson HS - Brooklyn, NY
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 11:41:51 AM »
whats up with people confusing Wright and White?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

kjd01067

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 05:32:19 PM »
whats up with people confusing Wright and White?

Well in the article from rivals it says white and the article from psal says wright so...

Randomhero423

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 05:41:24 PM »
if he's from thomas jeff it's def wright.

rival articles usually has at least one or two errors.

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 12:48:18 PM »
if he's from thomas jeff it's def wright.

rival articles usually has at least one or two errors.

hey hey hey, watch yourself lol.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 07:57:58 PM »
Air Jamaica Is Taking Off

August 14, 2008

by Maurice Wingate, NYCHoops.net

http://stjohns.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=837454

Joel "Air Jamaica" Wright is a 6-foot-6 small forward that has flown under the radar in the stacked class of 2010. That is until recently.

Wright is an aggressive player, especially on the boards, runs the floor well and plays full steam ahead on both ends of the court.

"I now have interest from Hofstra, UMass, Providence and West Virginia," says Wright, who plans to take unofficial visits to St. John's and Rider College in September.

Lawrence Pollard, who coaches Wright at Jefferson says, "I am going to truly miss Joel when he leaves. He's the kind of kid that's hard to find. He's a warrior and constantly wants to get better. Joel has the fire that you cannot put into kids."

Asked about which school is on the top of his list, Pollard says, "He really likes St. John's. Look for him to make a decision very soon"

« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 08:28:32 PM by oldred10 »

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 08:27:19 PM »
Few other tidbits & some video of him from rivals :

Rumble In The Bronx Surprises

June 18, 2008

Joel Wright, PF/SF, Juice All-Stars

The 6-foot-6 big man was the best underclassmen surprise from the weekend. He was also the top big man on his team. That's not bad company considering high-major senior-to-be prospect James Padgett is also on the team. Wright used his top-level athleticism to score at and above the rim but he also shined as a high-post threat because of his passing and midrange jump shooting. He's efficient in the post as a scorer, too. From top to bottom, Wright showed his worth and had the look of a talented high-major prospect.

http://stjohns.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1171&CID=818975

THE KIDS ARE ALRIGHT

June 15, 2008

Juice forward Joel Wright, a 6-foot-7 combo forward from Thomas Jefferson High School in Brooklyn, was a pleasant surprise on Saturday afternoon. White was the top producing big man for Juice, one of the top teams in New York, on Saturday. He's been good on the glass, good as a passer and scored when needed. His level of play was good enough to believe he'll be a high-major guy and one of the top big men in NYC in the 2010 class.

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=817725

Juice All-Stars rule GBOA East

May 19, 2008

Joel Wright aka "Air Jamaica" was named the MVP of the GBOA East for his performance throughout the whole tournament. The 6'7, sophomore, from Thomas Jefferson, received his nickname for his jumping ability and will be looked towards to lead Jefferson in the future.

http://stjohns.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1171&CID=809055

]

VIDEO : http://stjohns.rivals.com/video.asp?section=bbrecruit&pkey=83380&vidtype=prospect&vidid=135918

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

Randomhero423

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 12:22:46 AM »
http://www.fiveborosports.com/ssp/news?news_id=854

"Pollard also thinks the sky – no pun intended for someone nicknamed Air Jamaica because of his Caribbean heritage – is the limit for Wright. There were a few college coaches in attendance, notably Kimani Young of St. John’s, but the coach said his 11th grader is being severely under-recruited.

“There are a lot of local schools here looking elsewhere,” he said. “You got a beast right here at home in the East. … I don’t think there’s a better power forward in the city.”"

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 09:56:23 AM »
So since you've seen him play, do you think he can play the PF in the Big East?  At 6'6"?  Does he have some shooting range?

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 10:55:57 AM »
I don't think he can play the 4 in college but to be honest I haven't seen him play since June.  I'm seeing him in action this Sunday though.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Randomhero423

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 11:54:14 AM »
I don't think he can play the 4 in college but to be honest I haven't seen him play since June.  I'm seeing him in action this Sunday though.

i'll be there too.   :)

I'm not sure he can play the 4.  he has a decent shot, but we'll see on Sunday.

He'll be facing Bishop Loughlin by the way, so pinkston vs. wright will be fun

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 08:58:50 AM »
Update from Zags:

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/01/17/big-apple-invitational-notes-lance-stephenson-tobias-harris-ashcraf-yocoubou-joel-wright/

JOEL ‘AIR JAMAICA’ WRIGHT, 6-6 Jr. F, Thomas Jefferson: West Virginia, Fordham, Seton Hall, Villanova, Providence

Quote: “West Virginia, Fordham and Providence [are my favorites]. [ I'll decide] by the end of this season].”

kjd01067

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 09:56:30 PM »
http://stjohns.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=903095
Maurice Wingate

Joel Wright, the 6-foot-6 junior small forward for Thomas Jefferson Campus in Brooklyn, NY, received some good news on Tuesday.

Wright has been one of the central figures in the Jefferson Orange Waves success this season. The PSAL school is currently 14-4, ranked #3 by NYC Hoops and people are taking notice.

"Yesterday, Joel received a call from Norm Roberts (St. John's head coach) making him an offer," says Jefferson Head Coach Lawrence Pollard. "Joel likes the idea of playing locally and bringing New York back."

According to Pollard, Wright is averaging an astonishing 25 points and 20 rebound per game. "He's a hard working blue collar type guy." Pollard makes a point to define what he means by "Blue Collar" saying, "I know some people use the adjective for a guy who can't really play but that's not the case Joel. He's the best player in New York and I mean he will out work anyone. He's not gonna back down to anybody."

Pollard says that Roberts is looking to partner Wright with Davontay Grace down the road. Grace is the 6-foot-0 junior point guard for the Orange Wave that making a name for himself as well. "Both guys like the idea of playing together and they both have a strong connection with Kimani (Young)," says Pollard. Young is the head team manager for the Red Storm and coached both players in the past.

Wright also has interest from other local schools including Rutgers and Seton Hall

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 07:41:26 PM »
Young and Roberts are at the Mount Vernon/Jefferson game, which is followed by St. Ray's/ B&G. It's on SNY.
Sherrod Wright is playing like the best prospect on the court.

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2009, 07:56:27 AM »
Joel Wright to Fordham

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2009, 10:03:33 AM »
whaaat!  link please.

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2009, 10:04:47 AM »
whaaat!  link please.

Saw it in the Daily News this morning on the beautiful A train, a lil blurb