Recruiting Outlook

• 150 replies

MCNPA

Re: Recruiting Outlook
« Reply #100 on: April 02, 2015, 09:46:28 AM »
Didn't realize it was out there.  Guessing we are looking good.  Big, talented wing that can should would be great way to get things rolling.  Get Sampson back in the fold etc.

Tha Kid

« Reply #101 on: April 02, 2015, 09:47:44 AM »
Didn't realize it was out there.  Guessing we are looking good.  Big, talented wing that can should would be great way to get things rolling.  Get Sampson back in the fold etc.

Agreed - Sampson and Williams would be a great start.  Then try to woo Lee, Diallo, and others and hope sit downs with Obekpa and Jordan go over and they are ready to rededicate, recommitt and earn their St. John's uniforms.
"I drink and I know things"

MCNPA

« Reply #102 on: April 02, 2015, 09:49:59 AM »

Agreed - Sampson and Williams would be a great start.  Then try to woo Lee, Diallo, and others and hope sit downs with Obekpa and Jordan go over and they are ready to rededicate, recommitt and earn their St. John's uniforms.

Yup... Can you imagine Diallo at Pf next to Obekpa at C and Williams at wing.  SG's like Sampson and Lee?  Gonna be a very interesting few weeks coming up...

« Reply #103 on: April 02, 2015, 09:51:29 AM »
Isnt Williams signed by Iowa St.   Are they going to let him come here?
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Tha Kid

« Reply #104 on: April 02, 2015, 09:51:36 AM »

Yup... Can you imagine Diallo at Pf next to Obekpa at C and Williams at wing.  SG's like Sampson and Lee?  Gonna be a very interesting few weeks coming up...

Team could be better than we ever imagined in our wildest dreams.  Very exciting times even if we just land a few of the guys discussed and then fill in with other under the radar targets who are ready to work hard and improve, etc.

« Reply #105 on: April 02, 2015, 09:52:45 AM »
Assuming no Jordan, do we have any viable PG targets?  One grad transfer that I think could be an interesting stopgap for next year is Anthony Collins from USF.

Tha Kid

« Reply #106 on: April 02, 2015, 09:52:51 AM »

I believe he did sign.  Wonder if it was mostly because of Matt A and if Williams requested it Hoiberg will let him go.  Who knows.  But great question.

« Reply #107 on: April 02, 2015, 10:10:30 AM »
Jordan really wasn't much of a PG last year. Team was better w Branch in there and Dom racked up a lot of assists. Howe many times did we see Sheed travel because of hesitation? How many 2-3 turnovers in a row, giving away 4-5 pt. swings? Nice offensive game, developed a nice three, has that hanging drive move. But a PG...not really.

desco80

« Reply #108 on: April 02, 2015, 10:18:18 AM »
Jordan really wasn't much of a PG last year. Team was better w Branch in there and Dom racked up a lot of assists. Howe many times did we see Sheed travel because of hesitation? How many 2-3 turnovers in a row, giving away 4-5 pt. swings? Nice offensive game, developed a nice three, has that hanging drive move. But a PG...not really.

He only averaged 3 turnovers per game.   So that couldn't have happened too often, unless all his turnovers were on consecutive possessions.   Seems unlikely

« Reply #109 on: April 02, 2015, 10:19:41 AM »
Holberg in line for possible Bulls job. If that occurs, schools will usually give player a release.

Moose

« Reply #110 on: April 02, 2015, 10:25:16 AM »

Hoiberg is stand up guy and won't stand in the way of a guy who committed because of Matt.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #111 on: April 02, 2015, 10:28:38 AM »

I believe he did sign.  Wonder if it was mostly because of Matt A and if Williams requested it Hoiberg will let him go.  Who knows.  But great question.

There was an article or twitter posts on one of the sites stating that Matt A was the primary recruiter for Williams. Williams did state that he would probably still go to Iowa St, but who knows.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #112 on: April 02, 2015, 10:35:37 AM »
As of right now, we can still be optimists.
1. Great move by SJU to open the ceremony/press conference to the public...First time ever at SJU and 1,000 people showed up at the last second at 1:30pm before a four day....They made AIT I nkise and there was a buzz around the campus from what I heard. Could more people showed up....Sure... The ones that were there were Lund and energetic and the real test will be when the team starts this fall and how many people show up to the game.

2. CO showing up is a great sign that shows he actually gives a crap. I really pegged him to be long gone by now...Hopefully this shows he is changing for the better.

3. If he stays or goes the Jordan drama will end regardless...Hopefully for the better.

4. There is a sense of ease that this team will be balanced, the players will actually play, and the program for good, bad or, I different will stop with Mullin...No more classes about life.

5. SJU culture needs to be rebuilt and needs to be united again. Between Mullin and the new President, they will make students proud to be part of SJU and rally around the basketball team.

It's ok to be optimists, it's April, and more importantly the coach has a plan and loves this school  When was the last time that happened?
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #113 on: April 02, 2015, 10:39:17 AM »
Easter Break dudes calm down.
I was there-today was a school day. D'Angelo Hall was full.  If women softball and volleyball players could show up to hear the new coach, those that want to play for him could show up.  CO showed up despite the embarrassment he caused, like the prodigal son he can be forgiven if he understands.  Chris wants kids who understand the importance of practice--Sheed has to show he understands and then demonstrates that he gets it.  If he does not, there is always Amtrak out of town as he will not fit in with the program which is more important than the individual.  That said I hope Sheed gets it as I think he has great potential that I would hate to see unrealized

There was school, but not everyone has the same class schedule so Jordan might have gone home 1-2 days ago. I'm not going to bash a kid without all of the facts.

It's a shame that more students didn't go to the press conference. Was an okay turn out (for short notice) but most other schools would have had a packed house.

It's a shame that St.John's students have zero school pride. That's what other schools have that St.John's doesn't have. Their students really are different. It's too bad they can't hire that.

This is true.
For a long time, I could understand the apathy.   The Norm years were rough.
But the team was exciting and competitive under Lavin.  Student support should be better.   We're not a cellar dweller anymore.

And the school has ponied up the money for two headline coaches in a row now.   The school is doing their part.
Honestly, the school needs to start giving out student tickets more easily.   Place should be packed with students.   And schedule games according to the class schedule.
If we're going to play CW Post or Eastern Idaho why does it have to be on a Friday night on Thanksgiving break?   

Agree. An event like yesterday was free so the money issue excuse is out the window. Maybe if they gave out free t-shirts more students would have showed up.
I try to put myself in the position of a current student.  And being a basketball fanatic like I was in college.  And I'm out of state instead of being a commuter like I was in college.

It's my Easter recess starting April 2nd-6th.

Scenario one - I have no classes on the 1st.  I head home.  I've already called up coach, and I've let him know I will speak to him the first day he's available when I'm back on campus.

Scenario two - I have class on the 1st.  I check schedule to see if I have class just before, during, or after the presser. I arrange my time to be there at some point if possible. If not, I ask my professor if I can attend for that day, find out the assignment if any.

Scenario three - I have classes all day on the 1st. I am blowing them all off, and will be there the entire before, during and after the presser. I plan to take photos with Coach and all the esteemed basketball alums, get their autographs, ask for advice moving forward, and chat it up with Prez Gempenshaw. I chat with Matt and ask him to look over some of my game film so that he might notice anything new I can work on to improve my game before summer workouts start. 

Scenarios one and two - most likely.  Scenario 3 - me dreaming as I stand on the court for intramurals that Monday night...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 10:40:26 AM by bball purist »

« Reply #114 on: April 02, 2015, 10:42:19 AM »
President could've told all the professors to bring their classes to the press conference.

« Reply #115 on: April 02, 2015, 10:45:13 AM »
President could've told all the professors to bring their classes to the press conference.
They could have learned something for sure - great thought

One area out of many I feel really good about - almost everything Chris talked about involved heavy preparation.   There's no secret to it, but it takes the right motivators as a staff to get an entire team committed to being the best they can be.  I thought the guys played much better as a team this season, but there are so many areas to work on that we did not excel on this season. Average, Good, Above Average, Very Good, yes. But excel - maybe Dom's recovery abilities in making steals/blocks.  Chris will pursue excellence in all facets of the game because he knows the nuances.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 10:49:35 AM by bball purist »

SJUFAN

« Reply #116 on: April 02, 2015, 10:58:22 AM »

Was very impressed with our new President. He understands the importance of SJU hoops and appears to be a fan of basketball as he stated himself basketball was his first sport. As long as we have the backing of the President, no reason why this program cannot be successful.

« Reply #117 on: April 02, 2015, 10:59:44 AM »

Was very impressed with our new President. He understands the importance of SJU hoops and appears to be a fan of basketball as he stated himself basketball was his first sport. As long as we have the backing of the President, no reason why this program cannot be successful.

yes.  was also happy to hear him say he attended practices. 

i also saw him in the stands in Charlotte.  Good to have his support.

« Reply #118 on: April 02, 2015, 10:59:51 AM »

Also was 1:30 the best time to do the press conference? No idea just wondering.

« Reply #119 on: April 02, 2015, 11:23:32 AM »

To the consternation of many professors. Placing athletics over academics. Very few complaints from the students.