Big East going to Big Ten?

• 3 replies
Big East going to Big Ten?
« on: August 01, 2021, 08:46:53 PM »
Hi all, first time long time. Been a MSG employee since the 90s. Queens BnR. Was somewhat surprised with what I heard this weekend at work and didn’t see it being discussed here. Suits were discussing how we were going to a basketball only division of the Big Ten and that we were adding a 10th team. Talking about how crazy the tournament was going to be in the future with the top five from each division getting bids and a 16th overall from the 26 team pool getting the last slot yearly to MSG. This had me surprised and confused. Just listening and carrying on. I can ask the suits more, am very friendly with one of the guys. But was wondering what thoughts were here on this? Didn’t see a thread on it.

Re: Big East going to Big Ten?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2021, 10:53:24 AM »
Hi all, first time long time. Been a MSG employee since the 90s. Queens BnR. Was somewhat surprised with what I heard this weekend at work and didn’t see it being discussed here. Suits were discussing how we were going to a basketball only division of the Big Ten and that we were adding a 10th team. Talking about how crazy the tournament was going to be in the future with the top five from each division getting bids and a 16th overall from the 26 team pool getting the last slot yearly to MSG. This had me surprised and confused. Just listening and carrying on. I can ask the suits more, am very friendly with one of the guys. But was wondering what thoughts were here on this? Didn’t see a thread on it.

Very interesting. Mixed feelings on it. If the economics are compelling, I'm guessing the BE member schools would be open to something like that, and hitching our wagon to the Big 10 may make long term strategic sense. I don't love once again becoming second class citizens of our own conference, but it may be necessary for survival.

Thanks for sharing and keep us posted.

Poison

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2021, 10:51:09 AM »
Maybe we could make a Big East in the East?

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2021, 10:25:23 PM »
That’s how I interpreted the conversation. Basically buying our league and making it part of a bigger portfolio which gives them MSG. They were excited about the idea of so many big name schools. They were talking Indiana, Michigan State, UConn, Nova, Kansas and Maryland all on a Thursday slate. “We could have 4 of the top 8 all time on a Friday” was what stuck out to me.