Eli Wright - SG - Mississippi State Transfer - ST. JOHN'S

• 28 replies
Eli Wright - SG - Mississippi State Transfer - ST. JOHN'S
« on: April 19, 2018, 03:11:36 PM »
Start it now for some good vibes.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 09:36:57 PM by jumpinjohnny »
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

goredmen

Re: Eli Wright - SF - Mississippi State Transfer
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 03:16:26 PM »
Not all that crazy about this one but staff must see something in him. A sit one play 2 but will most likely be grad transfer eligible after playing one. Hope this doesn't scare away Burke as he'd be the real prize of the transfer gets if he comes

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 08:19:13 PM »
From what I've watched and read seems like a solid tall guard with a good lefty stroke and plenty of bounce who got stuck behind a big guard logjam at miss St. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to bringing in a former top 100 kid.

MCNPA

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 08:57:18 PM »
From what I've watched and read seems like a solid tall guard with a good lefty stroke and plenty of bounce who got stuck behind a big guard logjam at miss St. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to bringing in a former top 100 kid.

Agree here... looks very talented from videos.  Just got no minutes.   Wouldn’t hurt if he spent the year working on his right hand more.  I haven’t seen the miss state vids, but his high school vids he’s fiercely lefty...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 09:01:12 PM by MCNPA »

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 09:03:14 PM »
who was he behind at Miss St that prevented him from getting minutes. Didn't Miss St go to the NIT ? It's not like this is a Zone situation with SImon

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 09:10:33 PM »
Look the transfer market is generally tricky.  Rarely do you get an opportunity to land a highly productive proven player who competed against high majors.

So when Kansas got Malik Newman or the Lawson brothers they weren't really taken a chance.

But that is the exception.  Mostly they fall into 2 categories: 1) Productive players from low or mid major programs who believe they can play at a higher level but still need to prove it (Dixon, Caraher, Burke?) or 2) High major players who simply did not produce for various reasons but believe in a different situation will flourish (Simon, Clark, Owens, Keita). But there are questions there about why they ultimately didn't play much or produce much.  Wright falls into no. 2.

So there are questions for both and that is why it can be a crapshoot.

Johnny23

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 09:15:59 PM »
Depth signing and role player.

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 09:19:23 PM »
Look the transfer market is generally tricky.  Rarely do you get an opportunity to land a highly productive proven player who competed against high majors.

So when Kansas got Malik Newman or the Lawson brothers they weren't really taken a chance.

But that is the exception.  Mostly they fall into 2 categories: 1) Productive players from low or mid major programs who believe they can play at a higher level but still need to prove it (Dixon, Caraher, Burke?) or 2) High major players who simply did not produce for various reasons but believe in a different situation will flourish (Simon, Clark, Owens, Keita). But there are questions there about why they ultimately didn't play much or produce much.  Wright falls into no. 2.

So there are questions for both and that is why it can be a crapshoot.

agreed but Owens,Simon and Keita were all freshman I believe. Wirght's numbers as sophomore weren't much different than his first year. Hoping we get Fig and would be happy with Burke. Just if somehow there is a 3rd schollie available somehow just bewildered it's not being used on big man eligible for next year

goredmen

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 09:19:38 PM »
Official:

Evan Daniels
Mississippi State transfer Eli Wright just verbally committed to St. John’s, he tells @247Sports. Will sit one & then have two years of eligibility.

ras

Re: Eli Wright - SF - Mississippi State Transfer - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 09:37:04 PM »
Welcome aboard.

Re: Eli Wright - SG - Mississippi State Transfer - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 10:01:43 PM »
wtf is this staff doing?

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2018, 10:10:15 PM »
I do find it funny how people can be upset about this. Highly rated out of high school, seems like a good kid by all accounts, good size, clearly had a log jam problem. Let's see what he can do. Welcome.

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2018, 10:17:55 PM »
who was he behind at Miss St that prevented him from getting minutes. Didn't Miss St go to the NIT ? It's not like this is a Zone situation with SImon
From rumble article:
Eli was considered a good defender, but struggled to crack the lineup ahead of guards Quindary and Nick Weatherspoon, along with the ball dominant, slick-dribbling Lamar Peters. Guard Tyson Carter and incoming four-star slashing wing Robert Woodard add to the logjam for Wright.

All were four star recruits.  Weatherspoon was 29 with other 3 in 90s and 102.

Welcome aboard eli. It's Matt's favorite time of the year.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 10:22:18 PM by colelatshaw2010 »

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2018, 10:17:58 PM »
Welcome aboard.  LJ next...????

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2018, 10:21:42 PM »
Must say I am puzzled by his stats and lack of playing time behind 4 or 5 other guards as a soph on a team that didn't even make the NCAA T especially given he was a consensus top 100 HS recruit. Must say I liked his tape and he could be a very good all around guard and hopefully give us a lot of depth at guard in the future. Still want and like Burke so I guess I have transitioned to be willing to wait until next year with the hope of getting some highly rated HS bigs, ie Cockburn.

goredmen

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2018, 10:34:52 PM »
Fair amount of 2s and 2/3s for 19-20. Need a true PG

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2018, 10:38:31 PM »
We have a very bad reputation for developing bigs.  Does this signing help us keep Keita in fold , if he does not have a great 2018 year?

MCNPA

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2018, 10:48:45 PM »
Seems like a good pickup.  Big, athletic guard.  I still like Burke and Figuero a lot so we will see.  I’d rather add one of those guys and a big for this year but seems like not in equation... I don’t know why...

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2018, 10:50:00 PM »
wtf is this staff doing?

Tell me about it.

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2018, 07:28:43 AM »
Welcome to SJU