Bashir Ahmed - SF - JFK - Bronx, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 458 replies

paultzman

Re: Bashir Ahmed - SF - JFK - Bronx, NY - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #320 on: January 08, 2016, 08:02:10 AM »
Verified account ‏@NYPost_Brazille

Very cool story on #sjubb recruit Bashir Ahmed  http://www.hutchnews.com/sports/chess-captivates-hcc-s-ahmed/article_8b40c056-f767-5f67-ac8b-d936633c35e1.html

Foad

« Reply #321 on: January 08, 2016, 09:00:38 AM »
His game has always reminded me of Felipe Lopez. 

Speaking of Lopez, here's a funny quote:

"What separates Lopez from most of the other great city players of the past and present, including Pearl Washington, Mark Jackson and Rod Strickland, is that he can consistently hit jump shots from 22 feet out. He is hitting 38 percent of his 3-point attempts. "It's just a constant shot that a lot of high school kids wished they had," said DeMello. It is a shot that many playground players never develop because the city game puts such an emphasis on going to the basket.

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/02/03/sports/basketball-lopez-baseball-no-basketball-yes.html

The paper of record.

Poison

« Reply #322 on: January 08, 2016, 10:10:44 AM »

"What separates Lopez from most of the other great city players of the past and present, including Pearl Washington, Mark Jackson and Rod Strickland, is that he can consistently hit jump shots from 22 feet out. He is hitting 38 percent of his 3-point attempts. "It's just a constant shot that a lot of high school kids wished they had," said DeMello. It is a shot that many playground players never develop because the city game puts such an emphasis on going to the basket.

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/02/03/sports/basketball-lopez-baseball-no-basketball-yes.html

The paper of record.

Why do you think that's funny?

Foad

« Reply #323 on: January 08, 2016, 10:35:20 AM »

The paper of record.

Because I have a finely tuned sense of the absurd. And also because Lopez was not a fine three point shooter, as compare to say Mark Jackson. Or anyone really.

« Reply #324 on: January 08, 2016, 10:57:13 AM »

The paper of record.

Because I have a finely tuned sense of the absurd. And also because Lopez was not a fine three point shooter, as compare to say Mark Jackson. Or anyone really.

Shot best as a frosh I think. Even his FT % kept going down.

Foad

« Reply #325 on: January 08, 2016, 11:05:31 AM »

The paper of record.

307 / 260 / 250 / 337 = 3 point

411 / 406 / 407 / 431 = FG

75 / 68 / 62 / 57 = FT

Poison

« Reply #326 on: January 08, 2016, 11:21:03 AM »

The paper of record.

Agreed. His jumper had too high of an arc.

« Reply #327 on: January 08, 2016, 11:29:21 AM »

The paper of record.

307 / 260 / 250 / 337 = 3 point

411 / 406 / 407 / 431 = FG

75 / 68 / 62 / 57 = FT

Free throw thing is odd
Had nice touch, never shot ball the same way two times in a row and drifted on his shot

TheVig

« Reply #328 on: February 22, 2016, 07:53:03 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLZLoJY8Xf8

I believe Bashir's game is being streamed at 9 PM EST

MCNPA

« Reply #329 on: February 22, 2016, 10:00:09 PM »
Game is on.  Apparently Bashir is sick but still playing.  This kid going to be nearly impossible for opponents to stop on offense next 2 seasons.  Ridiculously fluid and quick with both hands.  Apparently he's not playing "well" today because he's sick, but I can see he's gonna be a handful, especially when we add Lovett, Ponds, Owens, Freudenberg etc. 

We are going to be a very talented team next year, even if young and unbridled a bit.  Kid is really talented.  He's got all the tools.  If Mullun can get him shooting those shots with consistency and under control, he will be a killer.  Yakwe is already becoming a killer.  We have some serious young talent here.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 10:02:07 PM by MCNPA »

Poison

« Reply #330 on: February 22, 2016, 11:30:40 PM »
Game is on.  Apparently Bashir is sick but still playing.  This kid going to be nearly impossible for opponents to stop on offense next 2 seasons.  Ridiculously fluid and quick with both hands.  Apparently he's not playing "well" today because he's sick, but I can see he's gonna be a handful, especially when we add Lovett, Ponds, Owens, Freudenberg etc. 

We are going to be a very talented team next year, even if young and unbridled a bit.  Kid is really talented.  He's got all the tools.  If Mullun can get him shooting those shots with consistency and under control, he will be a killer.  Yakwe is already becoming a killer.  We have some serious young talent here.

Nearly impossible to stop? We need to stop doing this.

MCNPA

« Reply #331 on: February 23, 2016, 08:52:41 AM »

Nearly impossible to stop? We need to stop doing this.

He is gonna be hard to guard.  Guaranteed.  Kid is real quick and slashes with both hands and can shoot.  He swished a lefty jumper in yesterday's game, even though he is a right handed shooter.  I think he's going to very hard for opponents to guard.  If that puts it into better context for you.

hnk

« Reply #332 on: February 23, 2016, 09:25:46 AM »
In the beginning, he is going to get a bunch of offensive fouls.....and later shots blocked by Big East rim protectors.  It will be fun to watch him develop.

paultzman

« Reply #333 on: February 23, 2016, 09:50:18 AM »
26 & 12 last night

Poison

« Reply #334 on: February 23, 2016, 11:20:39 AM »
In the beginning, he is going to get a bunch of offensive fouls.....and later shots blocked by Big East rim protectors.  It will be fun to watch him develop.

Key is will he be a Durand Johnson, where he gets the ball, and thinks this is a one on one game, or is he Bootsy Thornton, and he plays from the neck up? A lot of Jucos are ball hogs, because they've just come from a situation where there is absolutely no defense, and therefore no reason to pass the damn ball.

hnk

« Reply #335 on: February 23, 2016, 11:34:45 AM »
I think he is going to be really good....the issue for me is whether it takes 5 or 10 Big East games or the whole season for him to get acclimated. ...and whether he can defend and stay out of foul trouble.

sju89tr

« Reply #336 on: February 23, 2016, 11:49:51 AM »
He will be a better JC transfer than James Scott and not as good as JC transfer Walter Berry. That's my prediction.  :-\

derk

« Reply #337 on: February 23, 2016, 11:49:52 AM »
I think he is going to be really good....the issue for me is whether it takes 5 or 10 Big East games or the whole season for him to get acclimated. ...and whether he can defend and stay out of foul trouble.

Those are significant questions and until we know the answer to them we can't really say if he'll be "really good"

MCNPA

« Reply #338 on: February 23, 2016, 03:56:48 PM »

Key is will he be a Durand Johnson, where he gets the ball, and thinks this is a one on one game, or is he Bootsy Thornton, and he plays from the neck up? A lot of Jucos are ball hogs, because they've just come from a situation where there is absolutely no defense, and therefore no reason to pass the damn ball.

I watched his game yesterday.  He's not Durand at all.  He passes he ball like a guard and gives it up, doesn't force things.  Big body and good hands.  Good defender as well.  It's the only actual game I saw him in and apparently he was sick and was under the weather.  The kid is gonna be good.  multi-dimensional player and it's only small sample size I saw.   

Poison

« Reply #339 on: February 23, 2016, 04:18:39 PM »

I watched his game yesterday.  He's not Durand at all.  He passes he ball like a guard and gives it up, doesn't force things.  Big body and good hands.  Good defender as well.  It's the only actual game I saw him in and apparently he was sick and was under the weather.  The kid is gonna be good.  multi-dimensional player and it's only small sample size I saw.   

The junior colleges do a terrible job of promoting their players. It's like they don't even care about them. I hope you're right. We need this class to be the team we didn't have this year. I just think it's best if we don't call out one player, no matter who it is and describe them as a second coming or even an NBA talent.

We've seen time again that you never know what you really have until the games begin.