Big East could vote to dissolve

• 801 replies

Marillac

Re: Big East could vote to dissolve
« Reply #80 on: December 12, 2012, 01:27:29 PM »
Creighton (#6), Wichita State (#38), Xavier (#39), and Dayton (#28) are all non-football schools ranked in the top 40 for attendance.  St. Louis (#66) is also historically top 25 in attendance.   Add those schools to the "Catholic Seven," and also go out and grab Gonzaga and Butler.  I want nothing to do with the crappy football schools remaining. 

We would have 15 of the top 85 (Butler #78 and Gonzaga #85) schools in attendance nationally, and the NYC, DC, Chicago, Philly, St. Louis, Cincy, Milwuakee, and NE tv markets.  This would be the second best basketball conference in America behind the ACC.

I would do a mega 24 team coast to coast basketball conference trying to hit every major media market and the tv dollars will come 

I would never want to go above 16.  I can't think of 17 other schools that can bring enough to the table to share profits with. 

A few of the ones that I'd want for a Western division in a mega conference have football, so luring them would be tough.

St. Mary's and gonzaga for sure 

St. Mary's draws 3,000 fans a game and that is a record for them.  They are #2 in the WCC. 

sju89tr

« Reply #81 on: December 12, 2012, 01:38:57 PM »
Creighton (#6), Wichita State (#38), Xavier (#39), and Dayton (#28) are all non-football schools ranked in the top 40 for attendance.  St. Louis (#66) is also historically top 25 in attendance.   Add those schools to the "Catholic Seven," and also go out and grab Gonzaga and Butler.  I want nothing to do with the crappy football schools remaining. 

We would have 15 of the top 85 (Butler #78 and Gonzaga #85) schools in attendance nationally, and the NYC, DC, Chicago, Philly, St. Louis, Cincy, Milwuakee, and NE tv markets.  This would be the second best basketball conference in America behind the ACC.

I would do a mega 24 team coast to coast basketball conference trying to hit every major media market and the tv dollars will come 

I would never want to go above 16.  I can't think of 17 other schools that can bring enough to the table to share profits with. 

A few of the ones that I'd want for a Western division in a mega conference have football, so luring them would be tough.

St. Mary's draws 3,000 fans a game and that is a record for them.  They are #2 in the WCC.

Good basketball program though, better than DePaul lol

LJSA

« Reply #82 on: December 12, 2012, 01:40:33 PM »

That's my thought, but I'd also want footballers UNLV, and BYU, and probably New Mexico. I'm not sure there are enough sexy basketball onlys for a super huge conference spanning all time zones.

sju89tr

« Reply #83 on: December 12, 2012, 01:41:01 PM »
Sorry for double post but if you want Gonzaga you need to get them a few west coast partners

sju89tr

« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2012, 01:43:09 PM »

That's my thought, but I'd also want footballers UNLV, and BYU, and probably New Mexico. I'm not sure there are enough sexy basketball onlys for a super huge conference spanning all time zones.

You are probably right. Big East should have put their clamps on UNLV before signing up Tulane. The only good thing about Tulane is that I won't have a hard time talking the wife into a road trip there to watch a game if the conference remains as it stands  ;)

BTW, pleasure finally meeting you last week after a decade of "knowing you" here on line 

Marillac

« Reply #85 on: December 12, 2012, 01:45:39 PM »

Depaul is a sleeping giant...huge Chicago market for TV and when they win, they draw like crazy.  Top 25 attendance figures.

LJSA

« Reply #86 on: December 12, 2012, 01:47:30 PM »

BTW, pleasure finally meeting you last week after a decade of "knowing you" here on line 

It was the best part of the evening, since that game was pretty cringeworthy. I think I need to get to a home game in a few weeks since I'm not sure I remember the last time I witnessed a victory in person.

sju89tr

« Reply #87 on: December 12, 2012, 01:48:11 PM »

Depaul is a sleeping giant...huge Chicago market for TV and when they win, they draw like crazy.  Top 25 attendance figures.

How many years have been waiting for that? They have been irrelevant for the most part since Ray Meyer retired

LJSA

« Reply #88 on: December 12, 2012, 01:49:08 PM »

The problem is that the Chicago AAU guys are worse than New York's, so rebuilding is slow.

desco80

« Reply #89 on: December 12, 2012, 02:44:26 PM »
I'm not sold on the coast to coast mega-conference, but even if I were .. (like LJSA said) a lot of the attractive west coast teams have football.   That seems to make it a non-starter.   
Because after Gonzaga and St Marys, who else would you want from the west?     BYU, UNLV, SDSU, etc but what are they going to do with their football teams?   Join the WAC?    The whole reason those schools are on the move now is because they want more visibility for their football teams - seems like we're repeating our mistakes if we get in bed with them.

sju89tr

« Reply #90 on: December 12, 2012, 03:30:03 PM »
I'm not sold on the coast to coast mega-conference, but even if I were .. (like LJSA said) a lot of the attractive west coast teams have football.   That seems to make it a non-starter.   
Because after Gonzaga and St Marys, who else would you want from the west?     BYU, UNLV, SDSU, etc but what are they going to do with their football teams?   Join the WAC?    The whole reason those schools are on the move now is because they want more visibility for their football teams - seems like we're repeating our mistakes if we get in bed with them.

I would probably agree to stop at 16 and go no further than the mid west but then you would see nine teams added such as St Louis Creighton Xavier Butler VCU S t Josephs Dayton Richmond and perhaps Murray State

Schools such as LaSalle, Charleston, Rhode Island, UMASS, George Washington and George Mason would be on the outside looking in for example

MCNPA

« Reply #91 on: December 12, 2012, 04:11:09 PM »
Gonzaga wants in?

@ESPNAndyKatz: 3-point shot: Gonzaga eying Big East? Bracketbusters; POY: http://t.co/7Ib7HSbD

Poison

« Reply #92 on: December 12, 2012, 05:42:09 PM »
If we have 8 BE teams, we should stop there.
GT, Marq, Depaul, Nova, SJ, SH, Prov & Temple.

If a BE commissioner attempts to add additional
teams, that commissioner would only be recreating
the problem that started this mess in the first place.

« Reply #93 on: December 12, 2012, 06:04:32 PM »
Got to have Xavier involved. They are a must to me.

« Reply #94 on: December 12, 2012, 06:16:48 PM »

just 8 will never happen. No Temple, add Xavier, Dayton, and Butler to get to ten which is a number I like. If you want 12 go get Creighton and one more. Anything more than that and I Think the league starts to get too depleted. I want a smaller conference so we can rebuild rivalries and actually get a conference feel.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Moose

« Reply #95 on: December 12, 2012, 06:31:33 PM »

just 8 will never happen. No Temple, add Xavier, Dayton, and Butler to get to ten which is a number I like. If you want 12 go get Creighton and one more. Anything more than that and I Think the league starts to get too depleted. I want a smaller conference so we can rebuild rivalries and actually get a conference feel.

12 is the magic number I think. 
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #96 on: December 12, 2012, 06:50:27 PM »
Funny line;

“@SIPeteThamel: Some Big East knowledge today: The A-10 wanting to take in Big East hoops teams = Sun Belt wanting Florida and Bama.”

paultzman

« Reply #97 on: December 12, 2012, 08:10:46 PM »
“@GoodmanCBS: Big East in a state of perplexity with possible breakaway. Everyone is confused -- including the coaches. Column: http://t.co/ZHin8NBP

Poison

« Reply #98 on: December 12, 2012, 08:14:47 PM »

Why is 12 the magic number? You have 4 teams you can kick out immediately.
And you should kick them out. Or you deserve to experience this again.

The BE needs to learn from their mistakes.

There is absolutely no reason why we need more than 8 teams.

Make an exit fee exorbitant. If a program wants to leave, let them bleed to death doing it.

Moose

« Reply #99 on: December 12, 2012, 08:22:27 PM »

Why is 12 the magic number? You have 4 teams you can kick out immediately.
And you should kick them out. Or you deserve to experience this again.

The BE needs to learn from their mistakes.

There is absolutely no reason why we need more than 8 teams.

Make an exit fee exorbitant. If a program wants to leave, let them bleed to death doing it.

Um I'm talking about a basketball only 12 team league.   More teams provided they are in proper markets and not double dipped means more $.  Pretty rare to find conferences now with 8 teams.  We have 7 teams right now (God I wish ND was still around).  Add 5 teams.  My first 3 are Xavier, Butler and St. Louis.  Other 2 is tougher for me.  Dayton and someone from the VA market would make sense.  Wish we could add BOS or DET market as they are Top 10 markets.
Remember who broke the Slice news