No Sanchez tomorrow

• 58 replies

boo3

No Sanchez tomorrow
« on: February 21, 2014, 07:20:20 PM »
 Having a child...

Roger Rubin ‏@RogRubin  5m
St. John's Orlando Sanchez to miss Saturday v. No. 9 'Nova to be with his wife, Flor Esthefani, after birth of their daughter. #sjubb

goredmen

Re: No Sanchez tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 07:22:13 PM »
Gift is going to have to play about 30 minutes and Dom is going to have play significant minutes at the 4.  Hope Lav doesnt pull the redshirt off Jones for this one

LoganK

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 07:23:30 PM »
Congratulations to him...
Horrible timing for the team with Obekpa questionable at best for tomorrow's game.

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 07:28:14 PM »
Having a child...

St. John's Orlando Sanchez to miss Saturday v. No. 9 'Nova to be with his wife, Flor Esthefani, after birth of their daughter. #sjubb
I hope everything is good for Orlando and wife's newborn.

If the baby was born today, and is doing fine, what do most of you see as the acceptable protocol for how much time one misses for a college team?  It doesn't happen often in college, but I'm wondering why O, if he was there for the birth, wouldn't simply scoot down to Philly to play tomorrow, then head back with the team right after the game?

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 07:30:45 PM »
Having a child...

If the baby was born today, and is doing fine, what do most of you see as the acceptable protocol for how much time one misses for a college team?
if we lose tomorrow and another he will get at least 3 months maternity leave

goredmen

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 07:32:42 PM »
Having a child...

If the baby was born today, and is doing fine, what do most of you see as the acceptable protocol for how much time one misses for a college team?  It doesn't happen often in college, but I'm wondering why O, if he was there for the birth, wouldn't simply scoot down to Philly to play tomorrow, then head back with the team right after the game?

Would you want a guy who has probably been up all day friday and all night friday night to leave NYC for Philly at about 9am Saturday morning and play a 1:30 game for you? Do you think he'd contribute much in that situation?

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 07:36:18 PM »
Having a child...

Would you want a guy who has probably been up all day friday and all night friday night to leave NYC for Philly at about 9am Saturday morning and play a 1:30 game for you? Do you think he'd contribute much in that situation?
Tiznow,Ralph and Paultzman are going down at 9am they can pick him up. Plenty of room in the minivan

Moose

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 07:41:40 PM »
Per SJU release the baby was born in Providence.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 07:43:53 PM »
Some of the things being said about this on twitter are disgusting I cannot believe these people claim to be SJU fans.

We get it, missing Obekpa and Sanchez tomorrow makes it tough.  But these kids are not being disciplined and are not academic casualties.  Injuries and family situations happen.  My God people act like they are owed a full SJU team.  The team is playing great.  Support Chris and Orlando and support the team tomorrow even shorthanded.

My God.  People act like SJU is intentionally doing this stuff...

desco80

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 07:52:17 PM »
It's not as if Sanchez is looking for an excuse not to play tomorrow.   I'm sure he wants to be there.

Congratulations to him and his wife

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 07:52:25 PM »
Some of the things being said about this on twitter are disgusting I cannot believe these people claim to be SJU fans.

We get it, missing Obekpa and Sanchez tomorrow makes it tough.  But these kids are not being disciplined and are not academic casualties.  Injuries and family situations happen.  My God people act like they are owed a full SJU team.  The team is playing great.  Support Chris and Orlando and support the team tomorrow even shorthanded.

Sports fans sometimes forget that they are watching these athletes play a game. I want this team to win like everyone else, but in the grand scheme of things, it really isn't that important.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 07:54:44 PM by kingofk1ngs »

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 08:00:26 PM »

Oh I know it's really horrible how people are mocking this situation and using it as an excuse to be a class clown

"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 08:02:56 PM »

Sports fans sometimes forget that they are watching these athletes play a game. I want this team to win like everyone else, but in the grand scheme of things, it really isn't that important.

I treaded delicately by simply asking a question because I was not privy to details.  But yes, twitter-verse is another animal which will never be tamed by the impulses of many to say whatever comes into their mind that nanosecond.   

Upon reading the baby was born in Providence, it of course implicitly answered my question. 

I would put it at 50/50 whether O would have played well.  Players that have illness or injury or other circumstances sometimes play better than when they're under normal conditions.  I do think it's prudent to spend the time with the baby on distance alone.  It is a time to cherish.  It's unfortunate prior generations may have missed out on a birth due to other responsibilities.

Theo - nice ....
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 08:06:00 PM by bball purist »

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 08:08:44 PM »
It always bothers me when athletes/coaches either miss the birth of a child or leave right after. 

Congratulations to Orlando!
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

desco80

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 08:18:40 PM »
I absolutely agree that the lunatics on twitter need to leave the guy alone.   

It's a great moment, he should enjoy this.     And like I said, I'm sure he feels bad about missing the game.  He obviously wants to be there.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 08:20:30 PM »
Congrats to Orlando and his wife! It is a good news story for SJU and I am impressed that this has been under the radar (has this even popped up on JJ?)

Negative: we are going to be really short tomorrow on a big game that can help us big time.

Positive: This is the game that we can afford to lose and we need him more down the stretch then tomorrow.

Either way this is only at SJU type of thing but a special and unique thing.

Congrats again to the Sanchez family!
Cougar O' Malley

Moose

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 08:35:16 PM »
I'm disappointed and embarrassed to hear people on Twitter are making negative remarks.  I always felt  for all the fans we had who annoyed the majority of the fan base and 'caused problems' they were nothing compared to the fans of some real big schools when it came to Twitter trolling.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Tiznow

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2014, 08:51:38 PM »
Having a child...

Tiznow,Ralph and Paultzman are going down at 9am they can pick him up. Plenty of room in the minivan

He's a big dude.  He probably needs two or three seats.  We'll leave Ralph in Queens

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2014, 09:18:38 PM »
Jeeze, people are unbelievable. Dude has a wife, clearly he can start a family if he wants to.

Congratulations to Orlando!

DFF6

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2014, 09:24:54 PM »
Even with my demanding job, when each of my kids were born, I took off, no matter how big the deal or high the stakes were at the time. Life is too short. If the birth of your child is not your highest priority, your're an idiot.

Congrats Orlando and family!