Mussini

• 73 replies

Foad

Re: Mussini
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2016, 09:03:35 AM »
Heath orvis comparison is unfair.

Yeah, to Heath Orvis, who was nearly a 40 percent 3 point shooter.

Poison

« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2016, 02:01:20 PM »
Several years ago, I think maybe it was 7 or 8 years ago, a Norm Roberts coached St.John's team hosted Queens college and they had a guard who dropped at least 30 points on us. Kid was hitting shots from all over the place. With a hand in his face, off a screen, he could really shoot, and we laughed it off saying he could never play here because he wasn't quick enough.

Why is Mussini so different than this kid? What skill is he hgoing to develop that the kid from Queens college couldn't have worked on and developed as well?

Foad

« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2016, 05:32:15 PM »
Several years ago, I think maybe it was 7 or 8 years ago, a Norm Roberts coached St.John's team hosted Queens college and they had a guard who dropped at least 30 points on us. Kid was hitting shots from all over the place. With a hand in his face, off a screen, he could really shoot, and we laughed it off saying he could never play here because he wasn't quick enough.

Why is Mussini so different than this kid? What skill is he hgoing to develop that the kid from Queens college couldn't have worked on and developed as well?

I am often astounded by your memory of games that happened lo these many years ago. I've been watching this team play for 35 years or something and for me it all runs together in one big blur of heart wrenching losses and missed opportunities and bad luck. And although your memory failed you a bit here I'm still impressed.

Evidently SJU played Queens College in an exhibition game in November 2005. Saint John's won 102-62. Ricky Torres had 12 points and afterwards was compared by many knowledgeable fans to Steph Curry, all the more remarkable because Curry was 9 at the time. Jermaine Maybank had 8, as did the great Tomas Jasilionustein. Darryl Hill had 12 points and 11 assists.

One Bradd (with two D's) Wierzbicki - no relation to Wally (with two L's) Szczerbiak  - led all scorers with 24. But he was only 4 of 12 from the floor and 14 of 15 from the line. If there was another QC game I could not find it. I do not doubt that there were in the Norm years many players who SJU made look like McDonalds All Americans, but perhaps your memory is playing tricks with you here, as mine often does with me.

http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/111405aaa.html

That said, I agree with you re Mussini. What does he do that Liam Beasty (zero points in 1 minute vs QC) couldn't have done if he was given 30 minutes a game. Not too much I think. I disagree that Mussini's a girl though or cannot play D1 ball. He seems to me to have the same sort of toughness as did another lollipop kid Italian, Frankie Alagia. It's just a shame he doesn't have the same handle. FM has taken a good beating this year and refuses to stay down, much like Peter Strauss refused to in the seminal made for TV movie "The Jericho Mile," when Roger Mosley (best known for his role as Theodore "TC" Calvin on Magnum PI) beat the living shit out of him and Peter Strauss kept getting up until Mosley begrudgingly acknowledged his machismo and the two bonded, as I hope you and Mussini are able to do moving forward.

« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2016, 09:40:56 PM »

I am often astounded by your memory of games that happened lo these many years ago. I've been watching this team play for 35 years or something and for me it all runs together in one big blur of heart wrenching losses and missed opportunities and bad luck. And although your memory failed you a bit here I'm still impressed.

Evidently SJU played Queens College in an exhibition game in November 2005. Saint John's won 102-62. Ricky Torres had 12 points and afterwards was compared by many knowledgeable fans to Steph Curry, all the more remarkable because Curry was 9 at the time. Jermaine Maybank had 8, as did the great Tomas Jasilionustein. Darryl Hill had 12 points and 11 assists.

One Bradd (with two D's) Wierzbicki - no relation to Wally (with two L's) Szczerbiak  - led all scorers with 24. But he was only 4 of 12 from the floor and 14 of 15 from the line. If there was another QC game I could not find it. I do not doubt that there were in the Norm years many players who SJU made look like McDonalds All Americans, but perhaps your memory is playing tricks with you here, as mine often does with me.

That said, I agree with you re Mussini. What does he do that Liam Beasty (zero points in 1 minute vs QC) couldn't have done if he was given 30 minutes a game. Not too much I think. I disagree that Mussini's a girl though or cannot play D1 ball. He seems to me to have the same sort of toughness as did another lollipop kid Italian, Frankie Alagia. It's just a shame he doesn't have the same handle. FM has taken a good beating this year and refuses to stay down, much like Peter Strauss refused to in the seminal made for TV movie "The Jericho Mile," when Roger Mosley (best known for his role as Theodore "TC" Calvin on Magnum PI) beat the living shit out of him and Peter Strauss kept getting up until Mosley begrudgingly acknowledged his machismo and the two bonded, as I hope you and Mussini are able to do moving forward.

Funny to bring that Queens College game up.  I'm actually pretty good friends with Bradd's twin brother.

Anyway on the topic of Mussini, it is definitely possible that he's not an impact player on this level.  Even with added strength, he is so bad defensively that I'm not sure how much of a difference that will make.  Also something to point out that may have to do with his offensive struggles: he has short arms and small hands.  That could unfortunately contribute quite a bit with his ability to handle and pass the ball against long and athletic lineups. Not ready to make a verdict yet so hopefully he will get considerably better with some strength and being off the ball, but we shall see.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Poison

« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2016, 11:19:55 PM »

Funny to bring that Queens College game up.  I'm actually pretty good friends with Bradd's twin brother.

Anyway on the topic of Mussini, it is definitely possible that he's not an impact player on this level.  Even with added strength, he is so bad defensively that I'm not sure how much of a difference that will make.  Also something to point out that may have to do with his offensive struggles: he has short arms and small hands.  That could unfortunately contribute quite a bit with his ability to handle and pass the ball against long and athletic lineups. Not ready to make a verdict yet so hopefully he will get considerably better with some strength and being off the ball, but we shall see.

Defense is always more about will and experience than talent. If he wants to become a better defender, he can work for it. I don't expect him to become better at anything he realizes that he needs to. A point guard is going to help Ellison, Yakwe and Sima more than Mussini. A point guard isn't improve Mussini's physical ability or his conditioning which is pathetic.

Get to the damn gym, and don't come out until you're a man.

goredmen

« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2016, 12:03:17 PM »
Instead of veering further off the Rawle thread with Mussini talk figure I'd resurrect this thread.

Any chance the staff redshirts Mussini next year as we'll have some backcourt depth to have him work with the strength and conditioning coach to get his body ready to play at a big east level in 17-18?

« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2016, 12:11:26 PM »
The kid left guaranteed pro money on the table in Italy with the team in his home town.  He didn't come here to redshirt his 2nd season. 

If he doesn't carve out a role and play enough next year, he'll just bounce back home and take the money.

« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2016, 06:57:46 PM »
I realize he's got genetics of an ectomorph of high order, but if we have a legit strength staff worthy of a paycheck  a functional set of barbells  at Taeffner,  and a fridge full of Muscle MIlk etc. there is no reason Mussini should not be able to put on 20-30 lbs before season starts and get to at least 185 (which I believe is what Owens was weighing at one ft taller !!!)

Bulk up Feddy !!!!

« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2016, 08:28:35 PM »
Hey wait... just saw this...

Mussini's looking like Springsteen...

« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2016, 08:41:29 AM »
Mussini seems to be the face of the program. Most of the press releases(schedule etc.), have him front and center

Foad

« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2016, 09:43:56 AM »
Mussini seems to be the face of the program. Most of the press releases(schedule etc.), have him front and center

I wonder whyte that is.

« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2016, 10:13:41 AM »

I wonder whyte that is.

Italian lives matter

« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2016, 12:29:27 PM »

I wonder whyte that is.

Also leading scorer returning this year.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 12:30:14 PM by stjohnnie75 »

Foad

« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2016, 02:21:36 PM »

I wonder whyte that is.

Also leading scorer returning this year.

Also if he stood in the second row no one would be able to see him.