Jermaine Lawrence - PF - Cincinnati Transfer - Bayside, NY

• 1791 replies
Re: Jermaine Lawrence - PF - Cincinnati Transfer - Bayside, NY
« Reply #1740 on: May 18, 2014, 12:14:35 PM »
I've lived in the Ny/Nj area my whole life and personally think it sucks. 

Counting the days until I'm out.
You retiring boo, or just planning a new location? 

Lol@ retiring...Would love to relocate.. Spent some time in Austin Texas recently and loved it...What a great city.  People are actually, you know, nice there....
I have a co-worker from Houston.  We were just chatting about Austin recently, and he told me it's been growing so fast that the infrastructure cannot support it (almost 3 MIL people in city+metro area).  He told me not enough interstates and other highways to lead into the major cities.   If you do go, don't move too far out if you need to commute into Austin, or it might be an hour plus commute and you'll be in NYC mode soon enough without subways/trains - lol

I'm just going to keep moving further south - NY to DMV to NC/SC, maybe then GA to St. Simon's/Jekyl Island area
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 12:18:15 PM by bball purist »

Poison

« Reply #1741 on: May 18, 2014, 01:00:54 PM »
Not really. I do think you guys are over rated and I think a number of fans this board are somewhat delusional regarding their perception of where St. John's exists in the real college basketball universe.

Which local program should be given more credit, if we are overrated?

All are irrelevant on a national scale.  Do you think St. John's is relevant nationally?

Another thing. There are 85 pages in this Lawrence recruit thread, but now the kid can't cut it.
I don't think we are close to a national power but how could we be irrelevant nationally and land recruits out of the nyc area ?

Not saying Lavon can't recruit. Obviously he can. But also he obviously can't develop the talent he recruits.

That's not a fair assessment. Jordan started off scoring 2 points, picking up charges and stupid fouls. By mid season, he was one of the best guards in the conference. Maybe you didn't like that they didn't make the dance, and that's fine. No one did, but if you think no one improves here, that's BS. Team went from 7-9 to 10-6. It wasn't the leap we expected, but even if we're the tallest dwarf in NYC, we're still the best team.

It seems like you're not watching carefully. If you are, feel free to explain your POV.
We were never 7-9.

Last year, what was our conference record?

Poison

« Reply #1742 on: May 18, 2014, 01:02:00 PM »

I've never heard anyone say that New Jersey sucks.

« Reply #1743 on: May 18, 2014, 01:20:03 PM »
I first said it 48 years ago  on my way to California
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 01:21:29 PM by 96 Schermerhorn Street »

« Reply #1744 on: May 18, 2014, 02:00:13 PM »
Hope you're in the North. I hope you've hummed some songs to mason Jennings excellent song writing

http://youtu.be/VoO2f1BbhO4

http://youtu.be/s8B89fI_wNs

« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 02:05:21 PM by bball purist »

« Reply #1745 on: May 18, 2014, 02:17:44 PM »
As for the religious thing, I didn't see anyone mention that Zendon is a seventh-day adventist. He seemed happy enough here.

I hate to turn this into a religion thread but...  I have also know Seventh Day Adventist women and they are much less restricted in their "activities" than Jehova's Witnesses.
that sounds like a lot more sex from seventh day adventist women :)

boo3

« Reply #1746 on: May 18, 2014, 02:39:23 PM »
Sp

[/quote

After living 1/2 my life in suburbs of Ny and the other 1/2 in Jersey I can assure you, there is very little difference.   

NYC is great, to visit ... It's the people more than anything.  NYers are bonafide a rear of a donkeys.

« Reply #1747 on: May 18, 2014, 02:59:06 PM »
Sp

[/quote

After living 1/2 my life in suburbs of Ny and the other 1/2 in Jersey I can assure you, there is very little difference.   

NYC is great, to visit ... It's the people more than anything.  NYers are bonafide a rear of a donkeys.

Whenever we travel whether it be in the states or overseas it never ceases to amaze me how friendly other people are wherever we are visiting. Every place we go we end up with a couple of new friends although while we were just in Cartagena we ended up becoming friends with another couple who were ironically from NYC.

I think the friendliest people we have come across in the US is when we travel to New Orleans and overseas it has to be Ireland. And usually when we travel people are surprised we are from NY because their ideas of New Yorkers are we arent too nice. Heck we met someone in turkey last year who never even met an american. I didnt even know how that was possible

« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 02:59:43 PM by mjmaherjr »

« Reply #1748 on: May 18, 2014, 03:29:54 PM »
Sp

[/quote

Whenever we travel whether it be in the states or overseas it never ceases to amaze me how friendly other people are wherever we are visiting. Every place we go we end up with a couple of new friends although while we were just in Cartagena we ended up becoming friends with another couple who were ironically from NYC.

I think the friendliest people we have come across in the US is when we travel to New Orleans and overseas it has to be Ireland. And usually when we travel people are surprised we are from NY because their ideas of New Yorkers are we arent too nice. Heck we met someone in turkey last year who never even met an american. I didnt even know how that was possible

It's like the old joke when people say doctors and lawyers are real jackasses except for their doctor and their lawyer.

Overall, I find most NYers to be just as good, if not better than some of the people I've encountered in the DC area these past 20 years.  My general observation is that when you get away from NY, you realize people are all the same, just a bit trickier to read.  Some are not so direct, and will be sneaky about expressing how they feel in certain instances.   That being said, a slower paced environment tends to help people be a bit more relaxed in their approach to life.  It's easier to hang with people not stressed over exorbitant taxes - lol
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 03:35:10 PM by bball purist »

« Reply #1749 on: May 18, 2014, 04:26:28 PM »
Hope you're in the North. I hope you've hummed some songs to mason Jennings excellent song writing

Still after all these years Jefferson Airplane and the Dead

redslope

« Reply #1750 on: May 18, 2014, 05:32:12 PM »

Lol@ retiring...Would love to relocate.. Spent some time in Austin Texas recently and loved it...What a great city.  People are actually, you know, nice there....
I have a co-worker from Houston.  We were just chatting about Austin recently, and he told me it's been growing so fast that the infrastructure cannot support it (almost 3 MIL people in city+metro area).  He told me not enough interstates and other highways to lead into the major cities.   If you do go, don't move too far out if you need to commute into Austin, or it might be an hour plus commute and you'll be in NYC mode soon enough without subways/trains - lol

I'm just going to keep moving further south - NY to DMV to NC/SC, maybe then GA to St. Simon's/Jekyl Island area
I've been there a number of times and love the place--great music/bar scene.  Agree on infrastructure comment.  Also some locals will tell you that the "old" Austin scene has been ruined by the California interlopers who have driven the rise of multi story condos that have caused the closing of some classic Austin DIVE BARS.  One negative is the continuing drought--water is going to be a major problem for Texas.

« Reply #1751 on: May 18, 2014, 06:12:25 PM »

I've been there a number of times and love the place--great music/bar scene.  Agree on infrastructure comment.  Also some locals will tell you that the "old" Austin scene has been ruined by the California interlopers who have driven the rise of multi story condos that have caused the closing of some classic Austin DIVE BARS.  One negative is the continuing drought--water is going to be a major problem for Texas.
True about the drought.  I'm not sure who will have it worse - the desert states fighting over the Colorado, or the midwest states looking at a deleted aquifer in about 25-50 years.  dust bowl cities...

boo3

« Reply #1752 on: May 18, 2014, 06:56:15 PM »
 Good points about the flocking to Austin and the H2O issue.. I would be surprised if everyone wasn't affected by a water crises in the future..( longer term)

I know tons of people that have made the move already... to places like Austin, Denver, etc... My sister just recently decided to sell her house in Rockville Centre and move down to Charleston, SC with her family..

There is something to be said for a slowed down pace in life and to live somewhere that people treat each other as humans..  It's not NY, that I know.

Probably get an extra 7-10 years out of life as well..  LOl.

« Reply #1753 on: May 18, 2014, 07:10:00 PM »
Lawrence decision on Wednesday

« Reply #1754 on: May 18, 2014, 07:59:48 PM »
Good points about the flocking to Austin and the H2O issue.. I would be surprised if everyone wasn't affected by a water crises in the future..( longer term)

I know tons of people that have made the move already... to places like Austin, Denver, etc... My sister just recently decided to sell her house in Rockville Centre and move down to Charleston, SC with her family..

There is something to be said for a slowed down pace in life and to live somewhere that people treat each other as humans..  It's not NY, that I know.

we have friends that live in denver and some that are moving there. They rave about the place and they don't even smoke pot.

« Reply #1755 on: May 18, 2014, 08:14:08 PM »

Still after all these years Jefferson Airplane and the Dead

Bob Weir and Ratdog playing in manhattan at new pier stage in august, just sayin

« Reply #1756 on: May 18, 2014, 08:36:27 PM »
Not really. I do think you guys are over rated and I think a number of fans this board are somewhat delusional regarding their perception of where St. John's exists in the real college basketball universe.

Which local program should be given more credit, if we are overrated?

All are irrelevant on a national scale.  Do you think St. John's is relevant nationally?

Another thing. There are 85 pages in this Lawrence recruit thread, but now the kid can't cut it.
I don't think we are close to a national power but how could we be irrelevant nationally and land recruits out of the nyc area ?

Not saying Lavon can't recruit. Obviously he can. But also he obviously can't develop the talent he recruits.

That's not a fair assessment. Jordan started off scoring 2 points, picking up charges and stupid fouls. By mid season, he was one of the best guards in the conference. Maybe you didn't like that they didn't make the dance, and that's fine. No one did, but if you think no one improves here, that's BS. Team went from 7-9 to 10-6. It wasn't the leap we expected, but even if we're the tallest dwarf in NYC, we're still the best team.

It seems like you're not watching carefully. If you are, feel free to explain your POV.
We were never 7-9.

Last year, what was our conference record?

8-10

TONYD3

« Reply #1757 on: May 18, 2014, 08:44:18 PM »
I love living in NY. Hate having to commute 3 hours back and forth to work when I live 19 miles away.

« Reply #1758 on: May 18, 2014, 09:53:22 PM »

I would extol the virtues of Charleston, but I don't want all us board members flocking down there....lol
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 09:53:41 PM by bball purist »

« Reply #1759 on: May 18, 2014, 09:59:26 PM »

I would extol the virtues of Charleston, but I don't want all us board members flocking down there....lol
did you meet any of the members when we played down there ?