Step up Christian Jones

• 67 replies
Step up Christian Jones
« on: January 07, 2015, 12:45:53 AM »
Rarely do I call out a player but damn it's really sad watching him play. Doesn't even appear as if he wants it. Need to get him to buy in to coming off the bench and playing his ass off bad. He could be a wrecking ball if he played hard but he's soft.

This team NEEDS him to step up in the worst way.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

TONYD3

Re: Step up Christian Jones
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 12:47:17 AM »
Cut him. He is terrible

TheVig

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 12:48:41 AM »
Soft is soft. It would take a miracle...

Poison

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 12:50:41 AM »
Give Amar a chance. At least he hasn't wasted two years in the program, and he's at least big enough to be useful if can learn how to box out. Of Delarosa, Jones and him, he is the most skilled. Still really raw, and unable to do very much, but what other choice is there?

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 01:36:05 AM »
Can't blame the kid for being recruited to a higher level of basketball than he is capable of playing. He was a last minute late signee who averaged 12 and 5. Don't even know if he had any other D! offers but seem to remember Lavs selling him as a one and doner (yes believe it or not). Not every 6'7 person walking around is a basketball player and neither is CJ or at least he shouldn't be.

Poison

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 01:39:14 AM »
Can't blame the kid for being recruited to a higher level of basketball than he is capable of playing. He was a last minute late signee who averaged 12 and 5. Don't even know if he had any other D! offers but seem to remember Lavs selling him as a one and doner (yes believe it or not). Not every 6'7 person walking around is a basketball player and neither is CJ or at least he shouldn't be.

He could play harder. He just kinda jogs up and down the court like there isn't even a game being played.

Put that 6'7 walk on in. He practiced hard at least.

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 01:41:02 AM »
Agree but it just doesn't seem to be in his nature or personality to play hard. His motor needs about a month in the repair shop or lab.

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 02:09:42 AM »
Rarely do I call out a player but damn it's really sad watching him play. Doesn't even appear as if he wants it. Need to get him to buy in to coming off the bench and playing his ass off bad. He could be a wrecking ball if he played hard but he's soft.

I played for the best HS football team in NY and coached for the worst right out of college.  Opposing RBs would be fighting for extra yards and completely exposed to be lit up, and my kids would just push them down.  Myself and the guys I grew up playing with instinctively tried to absolutely destroy the backs in that situation like heat-seeking missiles. "Hit" don't "tackle."  We were doing it as players since second grade pop warner.  Those kids never got it.  It drove me nuts.

Sadly, I don't think some things can be taught.  The best we can probably hope for is to have Jones constantly focused for short spurts.  That kid has to be thinking SC Top Ten dunk when he catches the ball three feet from the basket.  He has to be expecting to grab every rebound that comes off the glass.  He's 6'8 240 and chiseled and we are short and thin as a team in desperate need of a big, aggressive forward.

Poison

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 02:16:45 AM »

I played for the best HS football team in NY and coached for the worst right out of college.  Opposing RBs would be fighting for extra yards and completely exposed to be lit up, and my kids would just push them down.  Myself and the guys I grew up playing with instinctively tried to absolutely destroy the backs in that situation like heat-seeking missiles. "Hit" don't "tackle."  We were doing it as players since second grade pop warner.  Those kids never got it.  It drove me nuts.

Sadly, I don't think some things can be taught.  The best we can probably hope for is to have Jones constantly focused for short spurts.  That kid has to be thinking SC Top Ten dunk when he catches the ball three feet from the basket.  He has to be expecting to grab every rebound that comes off the glass.  He's 6'8 240 and chiseled and we are short and thin as a team in desperate need of a big, aggressive forward.

He's 6'5 and chubby. He has lousy instincts. The announcers keep talking about his body, and how impressive it was. It's impressuve because he's playing the wrong sport. It's time to see what someone else can do. I don't even care if it is a walk on. Just give me a lunch pail guy.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 02:17:26 AM by Poison »

Marillac

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 02:50:57 AM »

He's 6'5 and chubby. He has lousy instincts. The announcers keep talking about his body, and how impressive it was. It's impressuve because he's playing the wrong sport. It's time to see what someone else can do. I don't even care if it is a walk on. Just give me a lunch pail guy.

I don't think he's chubby, but I also think he would get lit up in football.  I'd take Harrison as a hitter over him all day long.  Jones is no Sean Evans. 

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 07:05:50 AM »
The sequence where he got blocked and then tripped over himself on defense was just sad. I feel bad for the kid, he shouldn't be out there.

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 10:00:07 AM »

I don't think he's chubby, but I also think he would get lit up in football.  I'd take Harrison as a hitter over him all day long.  Jones is no Sean Evans. 

He's nowhere near 6'8" and closer to 6'5" and pastey.

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 10:03:24 AM »
I think Jones has some skill. He can handle the rock a little bit and has a pretty solid touch from 12ft in. With that said he CAN play in the Big East but I don't see it from him at all. Just looks mopey and dopey.

I challenge the coaching staff to get him to buy in because they need him. Can't look at him as a lost cause, last resort in games.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Moose

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 10:05:22 AM »
I think Jones has some skill. He can handle the rock a little bit and has a pretty solid touch from 12ft in. With that said he CAN play in the Big East but I don't see it from him at all. Just looks mopey and dopey.

I challenge the coaching staff to get him to buy in because they need him. Can't look at him as a lost cause, last resort in games.

I've seen people miserable on the bench he looks beyond miserable on the bench.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 10:05:54 AM »

Jones should have got some meaningful minutes with the starters when St Johns was playing all those patsies in the beginning of the year. Can't throw him in there against a top 10 team and expect production. It's on the staff that the bench is ill prepared

Foad

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2015, 10:09:18 AM »

He tried to step up yesterday and fell over.

Sorry, this team is not Christian Jones away from being good. It's Bobby Jones away from being good.

Moose

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2015, 10:09:20 AM »

Jones should have got some meaningful minutes with the starters when St Johns was playing all those patsies in the beginning of the year. Can't throw him in there against a top 10 team and expect production. It's on the staff that the bench is ill prepared

Bingo
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 10:09:33 AM by Moose »
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2015, 10:10:32 AM »

Dave - the staff has had 3 years to work with him! What's happened during that time? He took a redshirt to get better and nothing!  How about Joey de la Rosa?  He's apparently been here since January 2014.  Did anyone notice how horrible his foul shooting is?  Anyone tried to correct it?  Or even Jakarr with that awkward release? No none did anything about it until he got to the NBA.  I read a scout say that was the first thing they were going to work on with him. 

What's the deal?

Foad

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2015, 10:11:48 AM »
That kid has to be thinking SC Top Ten dunk when he catches the ball three feet from the basket.

Yeah, that's a recipe for success, thinking about making sport center. One must have one's priorities straight.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2015, 10:15:49 AM »
It's only game three and Harrison and CO got beat up a little bit...Somebidy has to step up...To include Jordan being interested in the game...Did we unravel or run out if gas?
Cougar O' Malley