Adonis DelaRosa - C - Christ The King - New York, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 730 replies
Re: Adonis DelaRosa - C - Christ The King - New York, NY
« Reply #460 on: March 30, 2014, 01:20:52 PM »
I don't get what the negative is with getting a guy like Adonis...he hasn't had the best H.S. numbers but who cares.  Obekpa probably had some games with 6 pts and I think we can all agree he is worth a scholarship on the team and is making an impact on the court.  I don't think he's developed as much as I would like but...ok that is a different thread.  Point is that Adonis has shown by losing weight that he wants to play and any school that gets him will need to simply work with him to continue that momentum.   He may not be a "star" but how can we tell that right now and why do we need to recruit with that mindset..if he's a good kid, willing to work, and has shown skill that can play on the Big East level then it makes sense. 
Follow me @ek_underdog

paultzman

« Reply #461 on: March 30, 2014, 01:33:00 PM »
Adonis with hard work will be fine.

« Reply #462 on: March 30, 2014, 01:56:15 PM »
Adonis with hard work will be fine.

Nothing against the kid at all. Can't teach height or heart. I have zero confidence on the staff coaching up the talent

MCNPA

« Reply #463 on: March 30, 2014, 02:01:23 PM »
Dave - you may be right, though who knows how good he will be by the time he's a junior. All that being said, where are the better 2014 alternatives?

In addition, one has to question why we pursued him with 3 coaches at his game just recently, and it took all year to figure out he's no good?  We have nobody else on the recruiting board.  Perplexing to say the least. 

goredmen

« Reply #464 on: March 30, 2014, 02:07:16 PM »
Adonis is the kind of player this staff needs to start recruiting. Just because he isn't an overhyped high school player that will leave for the NBA/DLeague/Europe before he accomplishes anything with us doesn't mean he won't be a good player. We need to start recruiting 4 year players that will be solid in their Junior and Senior seasons. Unfortunately like Baldi said this staff probably won't be able to help him develop into the player he can be. Polee would be half the player he is now at SDSU if he stuck around with Lavin and crew these past few years

« Reply #465 on: March 30, 2014, 02:37:04 PM »
Who cares how many points he scored? He is a big man, he rebounds well.

« Reply #466 on: March 30, 2014, 03:18:56 PM »
From what I've seen of him, I'd pass. I know we need frontcourt players, but I'd rather have a lunch pail JUCO. I'm not sure he's cut out for the speed and tempo of the college game.

cjfish

« Reply #467 on: March 30, 2014, 03:37:00 PM »
As a roleplaying freshman I can see this kid playing 12-15 and scoring a little on putbacks and the occasional layin.  His rebounding with his bulk should be good.  He will be a true roleplayer at first and I don't see hi as a kid who will try to do too much, ala our present bench, Dom, PG etc.  Currently only GG was a true roleplayer, something a team needs. THIS KID WILL CLOG UP THE MIDDLE BEAUTIFULLY ON D, spaceeater.  If he loses weight, learns a little from someone beside out staff, his upside is significant.   

Marillac

« Reply #468 on: March 30, 2014, 06:03:55 PM »
Reminds me a lot of Lamont Hamilton.  We'd be crazy to pass on this kid given how poorly we've rebounded and defended the post. 

« Reply #469 on: March 31, 2014, 06:34:11 PM »
Reminds me a lot of Lamont Hamilton.  We'd be crazy to pass on this kid given how poorly we've rebounded and defended the post. 
I remember when Shawnelle Scott scored 2 pts in the city championship game and my thought was uh oh he probably will be a total bust, and he turned out to be pretty good.

ras

« Reply #470 on: March 31, 2014, 07:26:50 PM »
We would be nuts to pass on him.  Have plenty of scholis, 0 recruits and  need a  strong Big. No downside. We have 4 years for  him to develop.

TONYD3

« Reply #471 on: March 31, 2014, 07:41:36 PM »
Staff is getting plenty of abuse lately. Maybe to much. Think they did a good job with Gods Gift. He became a good player. Would be happy to get Delarosa. Would rather take a chance on a NYC kid. Every ny guy that goes to PITT always does well.

« Reply #472 on: March 31, 2014, 07:50:21 PM »
We have five scholarships and no one committed for next year. Who are we to turn down a local 7 footer from a winning program in our own backyard.

paultzman

« Reply #473 on: March 31, 2014, 07:52:26 PM »
We have five scholarships and no one committed for next year. Who are we to turn down a local 7 footer from a winning program in our own backyard.

They are not turning him down & actually giving him opportunity to play with his brother.

« Reply #474 on: March 31, 2014, 07:55:19 PM »
Sorry Paultzman, I meant people criticizing the recruitment of Delarosa.

derk

« Reply #475 on: April 01, 2014, 09:16:24 AM »

They are not turning him down & actually giving him opportunity to play with his brother.

So why does it appear they are putting his recruitment on the back burner when in fact he should be a top priority.

paultzman

« Reply #476 on: April 01, 2014, 09:20:51 AM »

So why does it appear they are putting his recruitment on the back burner when in fact he should be a top priority.

They aren't.

desco80

« Reply #477 on: April 01, 2014, 10:20:03 AM »
Obviously we shouldn't pass on him, and as Paultz notes we're not.   
That said, I agree with Ted's twitter-attack, he is a project.   But at this point he's our best hope at landing a backup center.
(and lets hope he doesn't need to be a starting center..)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 10:53:35 AM by desco80 »

DFF6

« Reply #478 on: April 01, 2014, 10:53:13 AM »
Obviously we shouldn't pass on him, and as Paultz notes we're not.   
That said, I agree with Ted's twitter-attack, he is a project.   But at this point he's our best hope and landing a backup center.
(and lets hope he doesn't need to be a starting center..)

There's some saying about beggars and choosers that's applicable here.  I just hope we are begging him to come.  Otherwise, 6'7 C. Jones could be the biggest body we have next season, followed by Dom.  Now that's a project we should not want to take on.

derk

« Reply #479 on: April 01, 2014, 12:11:08 PM »

They aren't.

Read somewhere that they aren't paying as much attention as some other schools. If this is the strategy it better work. Maybe they feel that having the brother in tow clinches the deal.