Would you take Obekpa back? Doesn't matter He is Back!

• 110 replies
Re: Obekpa is back!
« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2015, 11:26:09 PM »
"Sometimes you have to take the leap of faith first, the trust part comes later. #SJUBB #REBIRTH"

First, what the heck does this mean?
Second, how does one figure this mean he is back?  Did I miss a quote or some other wording?
Third, I thought it was up to Coach Mullin to allow Chris O. back.
Fourth, trust who?  I think Coach Mullin has to trust Chris O.  before any leap of faith.

We need to see something from Coach before we starting jumping up and down that Chris O. is back, or rather has been accepted back.
I don't think I'm reading into it too much, but Chris O already spoke to Mo. They would have had to agreed on this or he never would have been so presumptuous to assume this - that would be outrageous.

Agreed. And to be frank it's a leap of faith on both parts.

Re: Would you take Obekpa back?
« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2015, 11:27:45 PM »
The big issue is Chris O. convincing Coach why he should be re-instated onto the Team.
He's on the team - his two week suspension is officially over.

Gumby

« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2015, 11:29:11 PM »

"I don't think I'm reading into it too much, but Chris O already spoke to Mo. They would have had to agreed on this or he never would have been so presumptuous to assume this - that would be outrageous."

True, but getting kicked off the Team before the NCAAs is outrageous already.

I think we can feel confident, but really have to wait until we hear from Coach on this issue.

« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2015, 11:35:03 PM »

"I don't think I'm reading into it too much, but Chris O already spoke to Mo. They would have had to agreed on this or he never would have been so presumptuous to assume this - that would be outrageous."

I think we can feel confident, but really have to wait until we hear from Coach on this issue.
Chris was kicked off the team? I don't think that was the case.

SJUFAN

« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2015, 11:35:18 PM »
Hearing he wants to stay.

Were is he going to go? Istanbul? He doesn't have many options.

« Reply #85 on: April 02, 2015, 11:38:53 PM »

Chris was kicked off the team? I don't think that was the case.

What is the school rule for 2 failed tests?

Gumby

« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2015, 11:39:05 PM »
We have two Forums going on whether or not Chris O. will be back or should be back.  So I am not sure JJ posters are making that assumption, even though it could be right.

Yes, he met with Coach, but I would still wait until I see the white smoke, no pun intended, from Coach Mullin's office on this matter.  The offense was not missing a practice, it was a very serious offense for two reasons- what he did and the impact on his Team.

Personally, I think he will be back, play better, and be more responsible as a person in the coming season..

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #87 on: April 02, 2015, 11:43:11 PM »
We have two Forums going on whether or not Chris O. will be back or should be back.  So I am not sure JJ posters are making that assumption, even though it could be right.

Yes, he met with Coach, but I would still wait until I see the white smoke, no pun intended, from Coach Mullin's office on this matter.  The offense was not missing a practice, it was a very serious offense for two reasons- what he did and the impact on his Team.

Personally, I think he will be back, play better, and be more responsible as a person in the coming season..

It could also be argued that he helped get Lavin fired, because of another off the court infraction, which es helped them get bounced in the first round. Note I did not say the reason.
Cougar O' Malley

dR3w

« Reply #88 on: April 02, 2015, 11:57:53 PM »

I'm pretty sure, it is double secret probation.

« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2015, 12:00:35 AM »

I'm pretty sure, it is double secret probation.

My status at the  University of Iona

MCNPA

« Reply #90 on: April 03, 2015, 12:03:57 AM »
1) I think it's good he's coming back.  Good for the kid.  Good for SJU.  Good for Obekpa's potential career as he likely would have tried declaring for the draft unprepared and without a degree.  Now he has a chance to get better, actually become a prospect AND get a degree.

2) I don't think he will be making the same mistake twice.  Hopefully we are getting a more motivated and focused player.

« Reply #91 on: April 03, 2015, 12:08:55 AM »
he was seen eating white castle at 1am last night. I'm concerned :)

« Reply #92 on: April 03, 2015, 12:10:07 AM »
Can't really recall other African born college hoop players having behavioral issues like our CO. I could be wrong on this and even if there are others, percentage wise it would seem to be low. Of course i could be wrong on this also. Opinions? Just curious.

Poison

Re: Would you take Obekpa back? Doesn't matter He is Back!
« Reply #93 on: April 03, 2015, 12:54:44 AM »
Can't really recall other African born college hoop players having behavioral issues like our CO. I could be wrong on this and even if there are others, percentage wise it would seem to be low. Of course i could be wrong on this also. Opinions? Just curious.

Why does it matter that he's African born? How is that relevant to his behavior?

« Reply #94 on: April 03, 2015, 01:29:11 AM »
Just that they don't seem to get in trouble that's all but I don't know if I am right, just curious. hope you are not insinuating that I am making any time of racial issue out of this.

Why does it matter that he's African born? How is that relevant to his behavior?

Marillac

« Reply #95 on: April 03, 2015, 01:38:52 AM »
"Sometimes you have to take the leap of faith first, the trust part comes later. #SJUBB #REBIRTH"

Second, how does one figure this mean he is back?  Did I miss a quote or some other wording?
Fourth, trust who?  I think Coach Mullin has to trust Chris O.  before any leap of faith.

We need to see something from Coach before we starting jumping up and down that Chris O. is back, or rather has been accepted back.

The leap of faith part is susceptible to a few interpretations, but following it up with "the trust part comes later" pretty much eliminates all reasonable interpretations besides returning and playing for a new coach. 

Good decision by Chris.  I think he's a really good kid that just needs to grow up a bit.  Remember, this is the same young man that started his own charity last year.  How many college students do that?  Mullin will be running a very different ship than the previous regime.

Tha Kid

« Reply #96 on: April 03, 2015, 06:56:46 AM »

Perhaps obekpa is saying that Mullin is taking the leap of faith but he will earn Mullins trust later. 

Regardless this is great and hopefully obekpa dedicates himself.
"I drink and I know things"

Poison

« Reply #97 on: April 03, 2015, 07:17:05 AM »

Perhaps obekpa is saying that Mullin is taking the leap of faith but he will earn Mullins trust later. 

Regardless this is great and hopefully obekpa dedicates himself.

The leap of faith is the leap of faith Obekpa is staying. I don't he believes he did anything wrong. In his head, he probably thinks there are hundreds of players who have gotten away with much worse. Too bad he's right.

Foad

« Reply #98 on: April 03, 2015, 08:25:07 AM »
Kierkegaard called faith the great leap into the absurd.

The interesting thing about this

"Sometimes you have to take the leap of faith first, the trust part comes later."

is that it's evidently Mullin who has to take the leap. You'd think it was the other way around, that the multiple offender would have to demonstrate remorse and rehabilitation before being rewarded with ablution. Unless you were a sociopath obviously, then you'd think that you were owed a secondteenth chance.

Poison

« Reply #99 on: April 03, 2015, 09:11:04 AM »
Kierkegaard called faith the great leap into the absurd.

The interesting thing about this

"Sometimes you have to take the leap of faith first, the trust part comes later."

is that it's evidently Mullin who has to take the leap. You'd think it was the other way around, that the multiple offender would have to demonstrate remorse and rehabilitation before being rewarded with ablution. Unless you were a sociopath obviously, then you'd think that you were owed a secondteenth chance.

Obekpa is clearly operating on the emotional level of a 3 year old. If he's going to cut the shit, it isn't because Mullin inspired him. It will be because his room for error in the eyes of the University, the NCAA and the general public is thin.

It is also going to be a concern for NBA GMs. Marcus Hatten was caught with a doobie in Queens after his college career was over. That didn't kill his dream, but if you're a fringe prospect, you've now made it clear how seriously you take your career.