Letter to St. John: Donate The Court

• 17 replies
Letter to St. John: Donate The Court
« on: July 11, 2008, 08:30:49 AM »
Dear St. John Administration,

First up, I want to say I got mad respct fo yo school and yo b-ball program thru the years. I know many a boy who went to yo school and return to his community as a man. Cant say that bout evry place.

I was runnin' round the net this week and I seen pics of the Arena renovation. Props for recognizin' this as a major need.

But one thing kinda trouble me. I saw yo b-ball floor ripped apart and tattered. Now I know y'all is installing a new floor and that is cool and all. But I didn't think y'all would just throw out the old one.

See they is a lot of gyms in NYC that could use a nice used floor like yours. A lotta gyms in community centers, public school and Catholic school are beyond their time. And in the education system, they is usually the last priority.

See, ever since I was a lil biddie I been associated wit a b-ball/community organization known as the Gauchos. A few year ago, the NY Knicks was doin some renovation at The Garden. They donated they old floor to the Gauchos' building in the South Bronx. I cant tell you what the faces of all them kids look like when they started runnin and dribblin and shootin on the same court Starks threw it down on the Bulls.

So all Im sayin is this: I dont know if yo court is salvageable anymo. But if it is, Im sure there is some right-minded community organization or school that would be forever grateful fo yo generosity.

With most sincerity,
Choz4Life

Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Re: Letter to St. John: Donate The Court
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 08:32:56 AM »
you didn't really send this letter to the administration did you?

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 10:15:23 AM »
I can only think of one word when i read that letter, SAD.

gonzalo

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 10:24:56 AM »
Excellent letter.

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 10:40:41 AM »
Love the letter....your heart is in the right place.

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 11:21:20 AM »
THE FLOOR IS ROTTEN WOOD FROM ALL THE FLOODS...why do you think it's being replaced?

That would be like the Seinfeld episode where Elaine gives away the stumps of the muffins to the poor. Even the poor didn't want used day old muffins!

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 11:40:20 AM »

First up, I want to say I got mad respct fo yo school and yo b-ball program thru the years. I know many a boy who went to yo school and return to his community as a man. Cant say that bout evry place.

I was runnin' round the net this week and I seen pics of the Arena renovation. Props for recognizin' this as a major need.

But one thing kinda trouble me. I saw yo b-ball floor ripped apart and tattered. Now I know y'all is installing a new floor and that is cool and all. But I didn't think y'all would just throw out the old one.

See they is a lot of gyms in NYC that could use a nice used floor like yours. A lotta gyms in community centers, public school and Catholic school are beyond their time. And in the education system, they is usually the last priority.

See, ever since I was a lil biddie I been associated wit a b-ball/community organization known as the Gauchos. A few year ago, the NY Knicks was doin some renovation at The Garden. They donated they old floor to the Gauchos' building in the South Bronx. I cant tell you what the faces of all them kids look like when they started runnin and dribblin and shootin on the same court Starks threw it down on the Bulls.

So all Im sayin is this: I dont know if yo court is salvageable anymo. But if it is, Im sure there is some right-minded community organization or school that would be forever grateful fo yo generosity.

With most sincerity,
Choz4Life

Amen. I'll sign that letter.

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 01:46:23 PM »

With most sincerity,
Choz4Life

Amen. I'll sign that letter.
[/size]

I WILL SIGN IT AS WELL! HOWEVER, I DON'T MEAN ANY DISRESPECT BY SAYING THIS... IF YOU ARE TRULY GOING TO SEND IT TO ST JOHNS... PLEASE RUN IT THROUGH MICROSOFT WORD FIRST!

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 04:18:38 PM »
a suggestion i read somewhere would have the school break the pieces up and sell them as memorabilia.  i'm not sure how good an idea that is.

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 04:39:59 PM »
Again, we're talking rotten warped wood here guys. It's not like they are replacing it because it will only look nicer.....the odor in the gym was really bad when they pulled it up. Possible MOLD in and on the wood!

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 09:30:12 PM »
a suggestion i read somewhere would have the school break the pieces up and sell them as memorabilia.  i'm not sure how good an idea that is.
Given how tiny the fan base is relative to others, I agree with you that it seems like, at best, a silly idea for a variety of reasons.

you didn't really send this letter to the administration did you?
LOL

Lo and behold, Monasch will probably give a well thought out response to this summa cum laude English major's missive.

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 05:54:51 AM »

With most sincerity,
Choz4Life

Choz4Life,
Great post and your commitment to community and attempt to make a change is truly admirable.
I recently left a message to the Athletic Director asking why the old floor could not be packaged as memorabilia and sold to fans of the program to raise funds towards the reconstruction of CA.
He replied that due to the extensive damage from flooding and the floor being redone ( resanded ) over the years it was not feasible to undertake such a project.
If there was too little to be salvaged as memorabilia there is certainly no possibility of the floor being donated to another program.

Randomhero423

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 07:45:50 AM »
heart is in the right place and i respect that.

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 09:12:44 AM »

With most sincerity,
Choz4Life

Choz4Life,
Great post and your commitment to community and attempt to make a change is truly admirable.
I recently left a message to the Athletic Director asking why the old floor could not be packaged as memorabilia and sold to fans of the program to raise funds towards the reconstruction of CA.
He replied that due to the extensive damage from flooding and the floor being redone ( resanded ) over the years it was not feasible to undertake such a project.
If there was too little to be salvaged as memorabilia there is certainly no possibility of the floor being donated to another program.

Didn't I say the same thing ??? TWICE ???
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 09:13:27 AM by crocodile »

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008, 11:39:58 AM »
The Knicks recently offered pieces of their hardwood autographed when you bought a season ticket package. I think they did this promo maybe 2 seasons ago. It was maybe 7" X 7" piece but it was definitely cool. The pieces of wood were all sorts of beat up pieces that were weathered and worn and they definitely weren't polished pieces. I think that would have been a great idea for St. John's to have done. Would it have risen ticket sales, I doubt it, but I think it would have been a neat gesture to everyone that did buy season ticket packages.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

sjd8886

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2008, 03:57:54 AM »
that was awesome....or wait a min....dat waz awwwww$um

pmg911

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2008, 08:15:50 PM »

With most sincerity,
Choz4Life

Choz..  wonderful sentiment and very true..  but the message will not get its point across in your unique writing style...   but I agree with your thoughts..  it would have been nice to have donated the court if theywere able to...

Sidenote...

The Knicks donated the spare MSG court to the Gauchos in response to the fire that started in the building next door to the Gauchos gym.. it was not because they randomaly decided to give it to the Gauchos...

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2008, 12:12:17 AM »

With most sincerity,
Choz4Life

Choz..  wonderful sentiment and very true..  but the message will not get its point across in your unique writing style...   but I agree with your thoughts..  it would have been nice to have donated the court if theywere able to...

Sidenote...

The Knicks donated the spare MSG court to the Gauchos in response to the fire that started in the building next door to the Gauchos gym.. it was not because they randomaly decided to give it to the Gauchos...

The Gauchos would put better use to the court than the Knicks did as of late