Jordan Williams - PF - Torrington HS - Torrington, CT - MARYLAND

• 147 replies

Re: Jordan Williams - PF - Torrington HS - Torrington, CT
« Reply #101 on: October 17, 2008, 06:22:08 PM »
http://www.zagsblog.net/2008/10/17/williams-still-deciding-2/

It’s the end of the week and Jordan Williams is still deciding where to go to college.

The 6-foot-10, 245-pound center from Torrington (Conn.) High is thought to be down to St. John’s and Maryland.

“His father said he would be making a decision by the end of the week, and if not by the end of this week then early next week,” Torrington head coach Tony Turina said Friday.

“He’s having a tough time deciding what it’s gonna come down to,” he added. “He thinks they’re both great schools and both coaches are great people (Norm Roberts and Gary Williams). I think he’s just having a tough time narrowing it down. It is going to be one of those schools. What’s it’s coming down to is he’s having a tough time telling one team he’s not coming.”

A report on Scout by Dave Telep quoted Williams as saying he was no longer considering just these two schools, though, was still hearing from UMass, Xavier, Marquette, Arizona and Indiana.

Wherever he ends up, Williams could be an impact player within a year or two. Williams averaged 28 points, 15 rebounds, 7 blocks and 3 assists last season, Turina said. He has scored more than 1,000 career points despite missing half of his freshman year, and he is within 250 or so points of the school record set by his uncle, Murray Williams.

« Reply #102 on: October 20, 2008, 08:09:54 PM »
http://www.zagsblog.net/2008/10/20/williams-to-maryland/

He's going to Maryland. Committed today. Zags with the news break.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Randomhero423

« Reply #103 on: October 20, 2008, 08:16:59 PM »
damn it.

Re: Jordan Williams - PF - Torrington HS - Torrington, CT - MARYLAND
« Reply #104 on: October 20, 2008, 08:20:48 PM »
good for him. thanks for the consideration.

kjd01067

« Reply #105 on: October 20, 2008, 08:22:56 PM »
So now that Williams is off the board I think we should save the schollie for Lance or 2010.  What do others think?

« Reply #106 on: October 20, 2008, 08:47:38 PM »
Yes, Norm will spin it that he was saving the schollie for Lance the whole time.

Dude throws more strike out more than Nolan Ryan!!!!!!!!!

But I feel with lance and the law, his dad might want him that close but I rather see NORM OUTTA here.

Time for him to go back to being the freshman coach at Molloy and this time, coach the girls!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #107 on: October 20, 2008, 09:27:56 PM »
I wanted this kid. We get 3 or 4 years out of him not one and done out of Lance.

Randomhero423

« Reply #108 on: October 20, 2008, 09:32:34 PM »
lance or bust for this class...

« Reply #109 on: October 20, 2008, 09:34:29 PM »
Yes, Norm will spin it that he was saving the schollie for Lance the whole time.

But I feel with lance and the law, his dad might want him that close but I rather see NORM OUTTA here.

Time for him to go back to being the freshman coach at Molloy and this time, coach the girls!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really don't think this is the case at all. We wanted Williams but we didn't get him. Sure its a loss but not the end of the world. We could always save it for 2010 at this point too no need to rush and sign someone.

« Reply #110 on: October 20, 2008, 09:36:10 PM »

I really don't think this is the case at all. We wanted Williams but we didn't get him. Sure its a loss but not the end of the world. We could always save it for 2010 at this point too no need to rush and sign someone.

I think Acrimony was waiting for a chance to take a shot at Norm. A poor one at that

« Reply #111 on: October 20, 2008, 09:51:50 PM »
I think Acrimony was waiting for a chance to take a shot at Norm. A poor one at that

Sorry Baldi--not the case, under Norm, we have gotten ONE big time recruit in an apples to apples recruiting war. Burrell blew up and we were on a Marist recruit from day one and the kid sky rocketed he stuck to us. Tell me one recruit that is an impact player we went head to head and won. OMARI.

If you want to look at ROI, Norm has failed.

Even if we get Lance, a one and done, not sure we are going anywhere with Norm.

Where have you ever seen the light at the end of the tunnel or we are on our way plus Norm hasn't produced in the past to take the wait and see!!!!!!

kob24

« Reply #112 on: October 20, 2008, 10:40:01 PM »
acrimony I'm not sure if I'm reading this right but are u saying Omari isn't abig recruit. And stop saying Marist was the only school recruit burrell that was far from the case he was recruited by alot of high majors marist was the school I named because they and st.johns was the first and when it came down to it he liked those schools.

Randomhero423

« Reply #113 on: October 20, 2008, 10:53:08 PM »
yeah burrell wanted to go to villanova :)

kob24

« Reply #114 on: October 20, 2008, 11:07:47 PM »
And lebron will sign with Greece

LJSA

« Reply #115 on: October 20, 2008, 11:29:51 PM »
Hold the ship until 2009-10, when guys close to our two new staff members are seniors.

Williams would have been real nice, but the it only becomes a huge loss if Coker and Wait are garbage and R. Thomas never recovers. There are enough bodies to man the 4 and 5 (I'm assuming Thomas never fully regains his speed and finishes his career as an undersized backup power forward). We just have to see how they progress.

I get the feeling Famous starts receiving more frequent calls from us.

« Reply #116 on: October 21, 2008, 01:16:34 AM »
the bottom line is the beat goes on.

norm has shown over and over and over again that he's in over his head.

« Reply #117 on: October 21, 2008, 01:24:36 AM »
Hold the ship until 2009-10, when guys close to our two new staff members are seniors.

Williams would have been real nice, but the it only becomes a huge loss if Coker and Wait are garbage and R. Thomas never recovers. There are enough bodies to man the 4 and 5 (I'm assuming Thomas never fully regains his speed and finishes his career as an undersized backup power forward). We just have to see how they progress.

I don't think Famous is in the plans now. I think this was a matter of Jordan can get a lot more immediate playing time at Maryland than he could at St. John's. Bottom line is he should be a starter day 1 at Maryland where as he might not have seen much time under Juniors/Seniors Burrell, Evans, Wait, Coker, Thomas.

I think thats a hard thing to overcome recruiting when you can play 30 min immediately in the ACC vs sitting on the bench for a year in Big East.

I don't think Jordan is a good enough player to come in and steal time from guys who will have two years under their belt but I do think Jordan will be a nice player. I think he would have been a good fit here but its hard to pass up on immediate playing time on a school as prestigious as Maryland and Gary Williams is a very good coach as well. James Gist also developed really nicely under Williams and got drafted last season to the NBA. I'm sure this was pointed out.

I wish Jordan best of luck at Maryland.

« Reply #118 on: October 21, 2008, 06:54:27 AM »

I don't think Famous is in the plans now. I think this was a matter of Jordan can get a lot more immediate playing time at Maryland than he could at St. John's. Bottom line is he should be a starter day 1 at Maryland where as he might not have seen much time under Juniors/Seniors Burrell, Evans, Wait, Coker, Thomas.

I think thats a hard thing to overcome recruiting when you can play 30 min immediately in the ACC vs sitting on the bench for a year in Big East.

I don't think Jordan is a good enough player to come in and steal time from guys who will have two years under their belt but I do think Jordan will be a nice player. I think he would have been a good fit here but its hard to pass up on immediate playing time on a school as prestigious as Maryland and Gary Williams is a very good coach as well. James Gist also developed really nicely under Williams and got drafted last season to the NBA. I'm sure this was pointed out.

I wish Jordan best of luck at Maryland.

I think we all wish Jordan well and understand his reasoning but this is a loss no matter how we look at it.
Kid would have been a good 4 year player at SJU and his commitment would go a long way to changing perceptions about the program in that we would have gained 2 very good commitments for the first time in 1 class under Norm.
Oh well  :-[

pmg911

« Reply #119 on: October 21, 2008, 07:13:58 AM »
the bottom line is the beat goes on.

norm has shown over and over and over again that he's in over his head.

Now Norm & staff will wait it out with Lance and see what happens...   and if he ends up elsewhere. .  Norm & staff will be standing the holding the ***** AGAIN...