LJ Figueroa - SG - Odessa JUCO Transfer - ST. JOHN'S

• 107 replies
Re: LJ Figueroa - SG - Odessa JUCO Transfer - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2018, 05:16:41 PM »
Those two were on the team this past year.  I'm talking about the brand new kids. 

You think more so than Dixon or Keita?

Of the 6 new kids coming in next year (3 HS seniors, 3 transfers) he is the best in terms of ready to play. 

« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2018, 06:15:03 PM »
Got it.

redslope

« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2018, 07:39:04 PM »
We have had good luck in the past with JUCO's such as Billy Goodwin, Walter Berry, Marcus Hattan, Justin Brownlee, Dwight Hardy, Boo Harvey and Michael Porter, The Whopper and Bash.  Hopefully it continues.

MCNPA

« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2018, 08:37:51 PM »
We have had good luck in the past with JUCO's such as Billy Goodwin, Walter Berry, Marcus Hattan, Justin Brownlee, Dwight Hardy, Boo Harvey and Michael Porter, The Whopper and Bash.  Hopefully it continues.

Don’t forget Bootsy Thornton and quite a few others. Some of  these transfers we are getting are even better because they’re 3-year transfers..

« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2018, 09:08:02 PM »
Great get.

« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2018, 10:00:44 PM »
Him and Simons’ wingspans will help us a lot with our lack of size. Simon plays more like 6’7 than he 6’4. LG has that same look.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

MCNPA

« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2018, 10:34:38 PM »
Him and Simons’ wingspans will help us a lot with our lack of size. Simon plays more like 6’7 than he 6’4. LG has that same look.

Watched a ton of videos on him,  not much from juco, but this kid is going to be a big problem
for teams next year.   Kid has a condor wingspan massive hands and goes both hands well.  Very good in open court and finishes well everywhere.  Can’t believe we landed a kid like this at this stage.  Easily starter at SF.  Won’t lose a step having lost Bashir and this kid a ton more controlled.  Very excited bout this one. 

Some decent clips... talented kid and these are old...
https://youtu.be/1jzfjbgNz0E
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 06:14:24 AM by MCNPA »

« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2018, 11:14:12 PM »
We just heard about this kid a few days ago and now we have signed him already. Some posters seem to have knowledge of recruiting that the rest of us don't. We must have been on this kid for a while as he seems like a great pick up so I highly doubt we have only been recruiting him for a few days so how is it nobody ever mentioned him for this seasons recruiting efforts? Guess staff is able to keep things on the QT if they want too.

« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2018, 11:31:11 PM »
They are different players, but Marilac's comp of Simon to Dom isn't as far off as some think.  Simon more of a ball handler and can knock down an open 3, while not having Dom's defensive prowess or physicality.  But I think Simon can play a similar role next year in causing havoc on D, in the open floor and hopefully on the offensive glass at times.

« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2018, 11:32:40 PM »
We just heard about this kid a few days ago and now we have signed him already. Some posters seem to have knowledge of recruiting that the rest of us don't. We must have been on this kid for a while as he seems like a great pick up so I highly doubt we have only been recruiting him for a few days so how is it nobody ever mentioned him for this seasons recruiting efforts? Guess staff is able to keep things on the QT if they want too.

They offered him in HS. Staff was always aware of him. Recruiting is fluid and he jumped at the chance to play closer to home and in a town where there is a large Dominican community.

« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2018, 12:15:54 AM »
They are different players, but Marilac's comp of Simon to Dom isn't as far off as some think.  Simon more of a ball handler and can knock down an open 3, while not having Dom's defensive prowess or physicality.  But I think Simon can play a similar role next year in causing havoc on D, in the open floor and hopefully on the offensive glass at times.

Love marillac but ive mentioned the simon/dom thing a few times since hes been here, he gives himself enough pats on the back ;) What made me say it was more the offensive side of it. Both of them have unbelievable athletic abilities and thier first instinct is to pass. Neither of them needed to be guarded at the 3 point line al,l though Simon did hit a great % while left wide open. Put them in the high post from time to time where its one dribble to a finish or a pass and they will flourish. Agree with what you mention defensivly, think simon could mess around and average near 2 blks a game. Maybe as our 4th/5th best scorer he could consistantly go out and get us 10 pts, 7-8 rbs, 4-5 assits 2 stls, 2 blks plus play great D. What an awesome peice to have.

When Dixon, LJ, and Keita figure out how to mesh with our 3 key returners we will have a real solid 6 man rotation with a few peices to add depth.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2018, 11:16:26 PM »
Wow I completely missed his and Eli's commitments. HUGE. This kid takes away our need for another big (although you can never have too many) with proper coaching and players playing the correct positions.

Mase, I welcome you as co-president of the Simon as PF committee. For those that like him as a guard, wouldn't you agree he's better driving against fours instead of being defended by guards? He is awesome in the paint defensively and on the glass. Let's keep him in the paint. Fig allows us to play "small" at 6'5-6'5-6'8.

I'm not as high on Eli Wright but it's a low risk move.

« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2018, 11:25:00 PM »
Wow I completely missed his and Eli's commitments. HUGE. This kid takes away our need for another big (although you can never have too many) with proper coaching and players playing the correct positions.

Mase, I welcome you as co-president of the Simon as PF committee. For those that like him as a guard, wouldn't you agree he's better driving against fours instead of being defended by guards? He is awesome in the paint defensively and on the glass. Let's keep him in the paint. Fig allows us to play "small" at 6'5-6'5-6'8.

How fair is it to the kid to play him out of position for the next level? Is he going to be a PF any where at the pro level let alone the NBA? Sure you can ask him to play some minutes there but not fair to him to make it his primary position. Not a good way to attract recruits-come to St. John's and we will play you out of position. This would all but guarantee Simon leaves after this year to either turn pro or go the grad transfer route.

Marillac

« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2018, 11:47:21 PM »

How fair is it to the kid to play him out of position for the next level? Is he going to be a PF any where at the pro level let alone the NBA? Sure you can ask him to play some minutes there but not fair to him to make it his primary position. Not a good way to attract recruits-come to St. John's and we will play you out of position. This would all but guarantee Simon leaves after this year to either turn pro or go the grad transfer route.

Simon's only chance of playing in the NBA is as a combo forward unless he transforms his skill set in the next two years. He needs to look at guys like Jared Dudley to model his game after. His stength, athleticism and length allow him to be able to lockdown three positions and keep two others honest. His greatest NBA asset by a mile is his length and his greater NBA talent is rebounding and it's not even close.

Some of you get too hung up on position labels. Get him in the high post where he can utilize his strengths of passing and athleticism while minimizing his weaknesses of dribbling and shooting. Let him switch on everything to highlight his defensive versatility. Let him set screens on offense and lick his spots to take slower bigs from the perimeter. That's his ticket to a successful pro career.

« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2018, 12:20:12 AM »

I'm not high on Eli ( But I'm going to denver in 2 weeks ) but I'd rather have had Burke

« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2018, 12:25:42 AM »

I disagree with my boy Marillac on where Simon should play but he and others have brought up the premise of the positionless system. Other than 1 big I'm just thinking its going to be a bunch of blah on defense and rebounding. Only hope is get steals up and hopefully play better on man d so to keep shot % down and pray we rebound at least defensively because offensively it's going to be make it or fall back

« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2018, 12:40:22 AM »
LJ is a bucket. So happy Matt stayed on him.

Ponds, Dixon, LJ, Simon is scoring bunches. A lot of Big East coaches I spoke to today were pissed.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

wpc77

« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2018, 12:52:59 AM »

Ponds, Dixon, LJ, Simon is scoring bunches. A lot of Big East coaches I spoke to today were pissed.

That's exciting to hear.  Good info.  We need someone to grab defensive rebounds to start that scoring.  Our top returning rebounder is 6'5'' 185 lb. JS. Hope Matt nabs someone late

Marillac

« Reply #78 on: April 22, 2018, 02:28:07 AM »

That's exciting to hear.  Good info.  We need someone to grab defensive rebounds to start that scoring.  Our top returning rebounder is 6'5'' 185 lb. JS. Hope Matt nabs someone late

Who is 185 lbs? Simon was a rock solid 215 last year and you'd expect him to add to that this offseason.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 02:28:24 AM by Marillac »

MCNPA

« Reply #79 on: April 22, 2018, 02:31:31 AM »

I get that.. Figueroa could be a pro and people are sleeping on Dixon who has been a monster since he started college ball...