LJ Figueroa - SG - Odessa JUCO Transfer - ST. JOHN'S

• 107 replies
Re: LJ Figueroa - SG - Odessa JUCO Transfer - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2018, 05:22:32 AM »
LJ is a bucket. So happy Matt stayed on him.

Ponds, Dixon, LJ, Simon is scoring bunches. A lot of Big East coaches I spoke to today were pissed.

Starting 5 Dave?
Fire Mullin.

« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2018, 10:00:57 AM »

Ponds, Dixon, LJ, Simon is scoring bunches. A lot of Big East coaches I spoke to today were pissed.

Was his recruitment not as quiet as it seemed? The signing that might change the season was the most out of nowhere  I can remember in a while. Love it.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 10:03:29 AM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

paultzman

« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2018, 10:55:32 AM »

Was his recruitment not as quiet as it seemed? The signing that might change the season was the most out of nowhere  I can remember in a while. Love it.
Western Kentucky fell through late due to some roster issues. His folks then got word out quickly apparently

« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2018, 12:42:23 PM »

Western Kentucky fell through late due to some roster issues. His folks then got word out quickly apparently

Thanks Paultz

« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2018, 04:56:43 PM »

Sometimes you're lucky, sometimes you're good.  And sometimes you are both.  In this case SJU was both.

Either way LJ is a big addition.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 05:01:56 PM by fordham96 »

Poison

« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2018, 09:06:33 PM »
Welcome to St.John’s L.J. Figueroa.

QuanMan

« Reply #87 on: April 28, 2018, 11:30:30 AM »
"The staff is still open to adding another immediately eligible forward if the proper fit is out there, but rather than looking for a starting-caliber player, the Johnnies are more in search of a reserve."
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #88 on: April 28, 2018, 12:20:33 PM »
"The staff is still open to adding another immediately eligible forward if the proper fit is out there, but rather than looking for a starting-caliber player, the Johnnies are more in search of a reserve."

I think that's right. Of course a starting caliber PF would be great, but a backup who can play a solid 15-20 minutes would be great (maybe Abdul Lewis?). For college, Clark is fine at the 4.

« Reply #89 on: April 28, 2018, 01:35:44 PM »

Wods317

« Reply #90 on: April 28, 2018, 04:05:32 PM »
If we get ponds back that simon ponds and LJ back court will be as good as any. Add Dixon Williams and Trimble off the bench and wow that’s a deep group. Need another big man in the rotation.

Marillac

« Reply #91 on: April 28, 2018, 04:17:11 PM »
https://nypost.com/2018/04/28/st-johns-new-guard-excels-at-lighting-it-up/

Having Simon and LG at guards at the same time give us a pretty long lineup.

If they are playing guard at the same time I'll personally pack Mullin's things up.

Marillac

« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2018, 04:18:41 PM »
If we get ponds back that simon ponds and LJ back court will be as good as any. Add Dixon Williams and Trimble off the bench and wow that’s a deep group. Need another big man in the rotation.

I don't know about back court, but Simon and LJ should be two good forwards next to Shamorie.

MCNPA

« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2018, 07:03:20 PM »
Figueroa isn’t a guard.  Pure wing scorer.  He’s a SF purely...

Wods317

« Reply #94 on: April 28, 2018, 07:51:26 PM »

I think you get the sentiment of my statement. We are deep 1-3

MCNPA

« Reply #95 on: April 28, 2018, 08:13:42 PM »

I think you get the sentiment of my statement. We are deep 1-3

We definitely are...  it’s a good thing.  We still need Ponds.  Waiting to hear about that is even more important about who plays where.

« Reply #96 on: April 29, 2018, 12:04:40 AM »

I guess you missed the part of the article that said all the evaluators thought he was more of a guard than a forward?

MCNPA

« Reply #97 on: April 29, 2018, 01:37:21 AM »

I guess you missed the part of the article that said all the evaluators thought he was more of a guard than a forward?

No, they said he was a true wing that isn’t gonna be playing inside, as opposed to bashir who could play on wing but also inside aka “more guard than forward.”   If you read it in context, they’re not saying he’s a guard, only that he’s more of a perimeter guy that  can handle and shoot, not more of a  tweener PF-type like Bashir or Clark.  Bottom line he’s a prototypical small forward..

paultzman

« Reply #98 on: April 29, 2018, 10:37:14 AM »

No, they said he was a true wing that isn’t gonna be playing inside, as opposed to bashir who could play on wing but also inside aka “more guard than forward.”   If you read it in context, they’re not saying he’s a guard, only that he’s more of a perimeter guy that  can handle and shoot, not more of a  tweener PF-type like Bashir or Clark.  Bottom line he’s a prototypical small forward..
Correct

« Reply #99 on: April 29, 2018, 11:40:12 AM »
I think Wasju loves the cross race player comparisons. LJ reminds me a little of Luke Hancock and I hope were so lucky. I think instantly he gives us more composure, ball movement, and spacing than we had with Ahmed (guard). How well he will do on the boards and defensively will determine the true difference between the two. Even more so than replacing Ahmed I look at it as replacing Sid. Not only is LJ a huge part of next season but he is a big part of our future as well.