SJU-Iona game thread

• 96 replies
Re: SJU-Iona game thread
« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2017, 10:59:56 AM »
Justin Simon certainly is athletic, but makes too many bone head plays. Gonna hurt in big east. Owens was a savage today, love what I saw from him., Clark too. If Trimble is getting minutes in Big east play. Not a good sign.

He has one turnover in the last two games, I'll take his bonehead plays.

True, but his turnover lost us the Arizona St. game and then his completely unforced turnover tonight with around 5 minutes left brought Iona within 6-7 briefly. He has done a very impressive realizing his dribbling limitations in the half court the last few games (even more impressive with Lovett out) and has really kept it to 1-2 dribbles when he had the mismatch. In the open court, he's a demon.

After 11 games Justin Simon is MVP of the team. Not really close even.

redslope

« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2017, 11:21:37 AM »
iona was trash, like watching the ucf game again.  iona is the type of team we should play in a half empty carnasecca. the holiday festival needs to step it up and get some excitement back to this game even if it isn't a local (but not penn state either).  they can't get uconn to come down for this game?

Make it a 2 day tournament again. A power team, St. John's and 2 locals.

sad to say but things have changed.  To those too young to remember this was once a great tournament.  I remember going to "old Garden" with a GO card when it was an 8 team get together and seeing some fantastic games.  1964 had Michigan with Cazzie and Princeton with Bradley (who scored 41 before fouling out in semi final to #1 Michigan--one of the greatest BB performances ever). and our Redmen winning it all over Michigan by 1.  A couple of years later Lew and UCLA came in (we lost to them in the final. In 1975, we lost the final to Indiana that went unbeaten.  Problem now is all the November tournaments and NCAA game limits (and all the college FB bowls).
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 11:24:14 AM by redslope »

« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2017, 11:30:47 AM »
I believe the reason it isn't a tournament anymore is there is a new rule you can't play in two tournaments in one season.

Marillac

« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2017, 11:35:30 AM »
Justin Simon certainly is athletic, but makes too many bone head plays. Gonna hurt in big east. Owens was a savage today, love what I saw from him., Clark too. If Trimble is getting minutes in Big east play. Not a good sign.

True, but his turnover lost us the Arizona St. game and then his completely unforced turnover tonight with around 5 minutes left brought Iona within 6-7 briefly. He has done a very impressive realizing his dribbling limitations in the half court the last few games (even more impressive with Lovett out) and has really kept it to 1-2 dribbles when he had the mismatch. In the open court, he's a demon.

I think he keys the defense, but we'd have 5-6 losses without Ponds. I'd like to see him and Clark commit to the offensive glass and okayncloser to the basket.

Ponds has to create everything for us right now. I don't think our fans realize how hard that is without a post presence or a second capable ball-handler. Look how good Ponds is in any situation where he can come off the ball:  he looked incredible getting the ball at the ft line against the zone, he posts up well, and he is unguardable facing up in the mid and high post.

« Reply #84 on: December 18, 2017, 11:55:23 AM »
I believe the reason it isn't a tournament anymore is there is a new rule you can't play in two tournaments in one season.

Then call it a 2 day Holiday Festival

TONYD3

« Reply #85 on: December 18, 2017, 12:30:32 PM »

Or we could just skip going to places like Orlando and playing teams like Oregon state and central Florida.

« Reply #86 on: December 18, 2017, 12:36:52 PM »

I think he keys the defense, but we'd have 5-6 losses without Ponds. I'd like to see him and Clark commit to the offensive glass and okayncloser to the basket.

Ponds has to create everything for us right now. I don't think our fans realize how hard that is without a post presence or a second capable ball-handler. Look how good Ponds is in any situation where he can come off the ball:  he looked incredible getting the ball at the ft line against the zone, he posts up well, and he is unguardable facing up in the mid and high post.

Honestly I am encouraged we are where we are considering how terribly Ponds has shot the ball.  I understand he is a volume scorer but..... he really needs Lovett back. 

« Reply #87 on: December 18, 2017, 12:41:14 PM »
iona was trash, like watching the ucf game again.  iona is the type of team we should play in a half empty carnasecca. the holiday festival needs to step it up and get some excitement back to this game even if it isn't a local (but not penn state either).  they can't get uconn to come down for this game?

sad to say but things have changed.  To those too young to remember this was once a great tournament.  I remember going to "old Garden" with a GO card when it was an 8 team get together and seeing some fantastic games.  1964 had Michigan with Cazzie and Princeton with Bradley (who scored 41 before fouling out in semi final to #1 Michigan--one of the greatest BB performances ever). and our Redmen winning it all over Michigan by 1.  A couple of years later Lew and UCLA came in (we lost to them in the final. In 1975, we lost the final to Indiana that went unbeaten.  Problem now is all the November tournaments and NCAA game limits (and all the college FB bowls).

The Great Alaska Shootout is another tournament that really got hurt by all the ESPN events.  In fact, that tournament will no longer be taking place, in any form.

« Reply #88 on: December 18, 2017, 02:15:36 PM »
True, but his turnover lost us the Arizona St. game 

That's bullshite ya hater.

Perhaps your boyfriends 6 for 23 and 1 for 8 lost us the game.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 02:17:41 PM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #89 on: December 18, 2017, 02:23:46 PM »

It's time to get New York's team, Albany, into the event.

« Reply #90 on: December 18, 2017, 03:48:35 PM »

Kind of, but also not all tournaments are created equal.  I don't think the holiday festival was ever an exempt tournament.

Prior to about 10 years ago  teams had a maximum number of games they could play.  In the mid oughts the rules were changed and teams could play either 29 regular season games or 27 regular season games plus no more than four games in one multi-team tournament (four games, ergo "home tournament games" in addition to the 8 team on site brackets) for a maximum of 31 games. Postseason tournaments do not count against the limit.  At that time they also eliminated the rule where teams could only play in two exempt tournaments every 4  years.  When that rule was in place some teams would play the Holiday Fest when they weren't eligible for exempt tournaments.

So the Holiday Fest as a non exempt 2 game tourney back then counted as two games.  Two games that can be played at home to generate significant revenue, instead of giving away one of those games to play in an exempt tournament.  Why is it not exempt?  That I do not know or remember.

cjfish

« Reply #91 on: December 18, 2017, 06:17:27 PM »
-Iona came into this game on a four game win streak
-St. John’s doesn’t hit one three
-Our second best player was out

And we still beat Iona by double figures.

That's a bit of a polly approach.  The more measured approach would be to acknowledge that, and also remember that:

- we were outrebounded by 7

- our bench sucks hard ass. Literally no one of worth.

- Ponds' outside shooting is somehow degrading under 2 NBA all time great outside shooters

Ponds just a sophomore slump...  fwiw, I'm hoping it gets us another with SJU.  Would be amazing and at this rate, I'd hope he wouldn't jump.    Our bench is thin, they don't suck except for maybe AliB.  A narrow rebounding margin means nada.  We already know we don't have a very tall nor deep frontcourt.  That will all change next year.

Alib   is saving his best performances  for the conference season where he will confidently give 4 fouls a game  ;D ;D

« Reply #92 on: December 18, 2017, 09:39:55 PM »
Owens was a beast.  He won't be a versatile offensive center, but defensively, he's not just blocks.  Moves feet well, attacks glass on offense, can even guard SF's.  Kid keeps getting better.  Imagine when he has 3-4 "colleagues" alongside next year?
And it looked like he calmed Ponds down when he was chirping to refs.

« Reply #93 on: December 18, 2017, 09:50:48 PM »
We still haven't put it all together yet, which IMO, could mean our best games this season are yet to come. I believe Ponds will find his 3pt shot at some point, could be the Saint Joe's game. Simon needs to keep attacking the basket. He's hard to guard once he decides that's what he's doing. Clark continues to become better and more consistent. Rebounding and interior defense will plague us all year but it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Shaping up to be a fun season.

Poison

« Reply #94 on: December 18, 2017, 09:52:25 PM »

You can't take that many milligrams at once. You have to be patient with edibles.

« Reply #95 on: December 18, 2017, 09:58:43 PM »

This can't be a serious take. I'm a huge Simon fan, but...come on.

« Reply #96 on: December 18, 2017, 10:37:19 PM »

Kind of, but also not all tournaments are created equal.  I don't think the holiday festival was ever an exempt tournament.

Prior to about 10 years ago  teams had a maximum number of games they could play.  In the mid oughts the rules were changed and teams could play either 29 regular season games or 27 regular season games plus no more than four games in one multi-team tournament (four games, ergo "home tournament games" in addition to the 8 team on site brackets) for a maximum of 31 games. Postseason tournaments do not count against the limit.  At that time they also eliminated the rule where teams could only play in two exempt tournaments every 4  years.  When that rule was in place some teams would play the Holiday Fest when they weren't eligible for exempt tournaments.

So the Holiday Fest as a non exempt 2 game tourney back then counted as two games.  Two games that can be played at home to generate significant revenue, instead of giving away one of those games to play in an exempt tournament.  Why is it not exempt?  That I do not know or remember.
Very astute austour.