2017-18 Schedule

• 178 replies
Re: 2017-18 Schedule
« Reply #120 on: September 12, 2017, 04:59:01 PM »
How much does school lose each time when under 10K at MSG?

Is it worth a continued partial subsidy for a few more (not all) vs. Imaginary money for new/upgraded on campus arena?

Have to admit though, the home White Out game vs. Butler was great and would not have had same impact at MSG with a fee more fans scattered throughout.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 05:48:29 PM by RedStormNC »

TONYD3

« Reply #121 on: September 12, 2017, 06:38:34 PM »
It wasn't that long ago where we had decent crowds at the garden and beat good teams. Deangelo Harrison is only 24 years old for gods sake. We were good for 5 years. Were their issues? Absolutely! However we had 5 years of fun.
We don't need a so called home court advantage, I started school in 96. Since then how many so called big games have we won on campus ? That idea is absurd! No one (players or fans) want to play on union turnpike.
My opinion, a competent coaching staff comes in. We are revelvant immediately. Mike rice isn't great but he would be competent.
 No changes made. We continue to get killed. Mullin still hasn't brought anyone in yet to help. Why?
 It is different watching the games in person, looking at the coach . Comparing him to the other coach. Watching ed Cooley coaching his team. And watching our coach not interacting as much with his team. He does atleast once a game tell someone loudly to shut the fxck up though.

The Grammies are one night. We usually play 1 game at the end of the season, when then big 10 tournament will take place. 2 big east home games. Fxcking Iona and a most likely ass beating from duke. That is sad.

Chris Mullin is our coach he owes us better. I was the first off the bandwagon. And I tried to stay on. After the last absolute beat down . I have no faith. No changes were made to the staff. I expect the more blow outs and upsets. We play an awful style of basketball. The goal is to win  not score points. Lovett and ponds are great . They will win some games. But we will not sniff the tournament.

« Reply #122 on: September 12, 2017, 06:47:28 PM »
2 less home games at MSG than last year. As a season ticket holder it sucks but I'm not about to jump off a bridge like Tony here.

Poison

« Reply #123 on: September 12, 2017, 06:54:34 PM »
Maybe our new athletic director is more focused on soccer?

« Reply #124 on: September 12, 2017, 07:17:30 PM »
Good.  I prefer Alumni hall games.  The two hours plus without alcohol is rough but I like the easy LI access.
  Join Red white and you can have alcohol at CA

I know.  But I'm a proud member of the disappearing middle class and can't afford it.

Every last red cent I've ever made or will ever make goes to send my kids to overpriced institutions of higher learning.

Maybe one day.

« Reply #125 on: September 12, 2017, 07:19:02 PM »
Good.  I prefer Alumni hall games.  The two hours plus without alcohol is rough but I like the easy LI access.

Do you like the severe back pain that stays with you for a week .

I'm have been lucky so far in that regard.  My back never bothers me.  My knees are another story.

« Reply #126 on: September 12, 2017, 07:20:08 PM »
No one (players or fans) want to play on union turnpike.

I'm not no one.  I'll bet there are some others too.

Poison

« Reply #127 on: September 12, 2017, 08:01:47 PM »

I love the games at Carnesecca Arena as well, but MSG is the drawing card for St.John's recruits. The average casual college basketball fan doesn't even know where Carnesecca Arena is. We should be playing our big conference and big non conference games in a venue that gives the program their best chance to show fans, recruits either in person or on TV that we do indeed have a program worth following. While we may enjoy the on campus games, no recruit chooses us because they get to play in Queens.

« Reply #128 on: September 12, 2017, 08:11:30 PM »

I love the games at Carnesecca Arena as well, but MSG is the drawing card for St.John's recruits. The average casual college basketball fan doesn't even know where Carnesecca Arena is. We should be playing our big conference and big non conference games in a venue that gives the program their best chance to show fans, recruits either in person or on TV that we do indeed have a program worth following. While we may enjoy the on campus games, no recruit chooses us because they get to play in Queens.

That's a fair and reasonable point Michael.

On the other hand,  winning more games might attract fans and recruits as well.  Alumni Hall is going to provide a good home court advantage for most of the games held there.  The Garden - not so much.

« Reply #129 on: September 12, 2017, 09:35:54 PM »
That is not true.

2/10 open and 2/28 are open at MSG.

Grammys are closing MSG from 1/21 to 1/30

School is losing money by playing games at MSG with less than 10,000 paid tickets sold.   Xavier, Creighton, Depaul, Marquette would all draw under 10,000 so makes no sense to play them.  ALso, looking for a home court advantage that we did not get at MSG.

Agreed.  Bottom line in old Big East with ND, Cuse,  Louisville,  UCONN etc no way those games ever get played at Carnesecca regardless of scheduling conflicts.  Not in a million years.  With those schools because they have large fan bases in NY area and they travel no need to worry about SJU being good enough to fill Garden.  Now they are more dependent on SJU being good which means it's time to win.

« Reply #130 on: September 12, 2017, 09:58:21 PM »
We have a solid year and there will be a few more games at MSG next year; perhaps a Marquette which has drawn solid in the past or a Xavier/Prov.

ras

« Reply #131 on: September 12, 2017, 10:12:40 PM »
That is not true.

2/10 open and 2/28 are open at MSG.

Grammys are closing MSG from 1/21 to 1/30

School is losing money by playing games at MSG with less than 10,000 paid tickets sold.   Xavier, Creighton, Depaul, Marquette would all draw under 10,000 so makes no sense to play them.  ALso, looking for a home court advantage that we did not get at MSG.

Agreed.  Bottom line in old Big East with ND, Cuse,  Louisville,  UCONN etc no way those games ever get played at Carnesecca regardless of scheduling conflicts.  Not in a million years.  With those schools because they have large fan bases in NY area and they travel no need to worry about SJU being good enough to fill Garden.  Now they are more dependent on SJU being good which means it's time to win.
Ironically those teams had an advantage by essentially playing us on a neutral court at MSG and a home court...I also would have liked to see Rice hired. Advantages vastly outweigh disadvantages and the price is right. I am disappointed. But I'm a SJU fan, so I'm used to disappointment.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 12:11:59 AM by ras »

Moose

« Reply #132 on: September 12, 2017, 10:21:09 PM »
We have a solid year and there will be a few more games at MSG next year; perhaps a Marquette which has drawn solid in the past or a Xavier/Prov.

And they will probably increase tickets then
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

« Reply #133 on: September 12, 2017, 10:29:48 PM »

On the other hand,  winning more games might attract fans and recruits as well.  Alumni Hall is going to provide a good home court advantage for most of the games held there.  The Garden - not so much.

How many games do you think we're going to win knowing that we have 9 players and that one of them is Amar Alibegovic? The thing is, people don't care where we play when we aren't a winner, because they don't care about us at all. Winning brings fans out at both venues, but they also need to provide a premium opponent, the whether we like it or not, there's no SU or Uconn game to provide that. Only Nova. 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 10:32:52 PM by Poison »

« Reply #134 on: September 12, 2017, 11:38:48 PM »

How many games do you think we're going to win knowing that we have 9 players and that one of them is Amar Alibegovic? The thing is, people don't care where we play when we aren't a winner, because they don't care about us at all. Winning brings fans out at both venues, but they also need to provide a premium opponent, the whether we like it or not, there's no SU or Uconn game to provide that. Only Nova. 

You go back and forth on this. Ive seen you say we are kinda loaded and ive seen the above. So poison, how many games do you think we're going to win knowing that we have 9 players and that one of them is Amar Alibegovic?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #135 on: September 13, 2017, 12:23:45 AM »
It wasn't that long ago where we had decent crowds at the garden and beat good teams. Deangelo Harrison is only 24 years old for gods sake. We were good for 5 years. Were their issues? Absolutely! However we had 5 years of fun.
We don't need a so called home court advantage, I started school in 96. Since then how many so called big games have we won on campus ? That idea is absurd! No one (players or fans) want to play on union turnpike.
My opinion, a competent coaching staff comes in. We are revelvant immediately. Mike rice isn't great but he would be competent.
 No changes made. We continue to get killed. Mullin still hasn't brought anyone in yet to help. Why?
 It is different watching the games in person, looking at the coach . Comparing him to the other coach. Watching ed Cooley coaching his team. And watching our coach not interacting as much with his team. He does atleast once a game tell someone loudly to shut the fxck up though.

The Grammies are one night. We usually play 1 game at the end of the season, when then big 10 tournament will take place. 2 big east home games. Fxcking Iona and a most likely ass beating from duke. That is sad.

Chris Mullin is our coach he owes us better. I was the first off the bandwagon. And I tried to stay on. After the last absolute beat down . I have no faith. No changes were made to the staff. I expect the more blow outs and upsets. We play an awful style of basketball. The goal is to win  not score points. Lovett and ponds are great . They will win some games. But we will not sniff the tournament.

Awful style of basketball? I know we don't have the same talent, but SJU runs the same exact Golden State motion offense that has won them multiple championships. Hence the reason we shattered our three point record last year. It's not an awful style of basketball, we just don't have the talent yet.

Poison

« Reply #136 on: September 13, 2017, 03:16:04 AM »

You go back and forth on this. Ive seen you say we are kinda loaded and ive seen the above. So poison, how many games do you think we're going to win knowing that we have 9 players and that one of them is Amar Alibegovic?

Towards the end of last year I thought it was possible that the team could take a big step forward next season and make the dance. We still have a strong backcourt, and if they improve the team should as well since LoVett and Ponds are our best players.

However, because of the staff's carelessness and disinterest in finishing the team, I think the NIT will require a lot of luck in terms of staying healthy. We have no depth inside, and it clearly could have been avoided.

We have 9 players, and yeah, I saw this coming a mile away. Why the F the staff didn't tells me changes need to be made. Where specifically, IDK. No St.John's team makes it through a season without several injuries. If we lose one big man, Amar Alibegovic is playing until he fouls out and that could take all of 5 minutes. Imagine him playing against Duke.

I think they'll win 16/17 games and win one NIT game. If anyone thinks that's progress they need to get their head examined.

« Reply #137 on: September 13, 2017, 08:18:59 AM »
Poison, I will bet you $100 a game on the over/under on 17 wins for this coming year. That includes regular season plus all tournament games (Big East, NCAA or NIT only). I of course will take the over. 17 wins is a push. I don't think you have the balls to take the bet.

Poison

« Reply #138 on: September 13, 2017, 09:21:09 AM »
Poison, I will bet you $100 a game on the over/under on 17 wins for this coming year. That includes regular season plus all tournament games (Big East, NCAA or NIT only). I of course will take the over. 17 wins is a push. I don't think you have the balls to take the bet.

I don't have the balls to make any bet, but good for you for trying.

To be clear, I am picking 16/17 wins as opposed to 21, which I would have gone with had the staff assembled a balanced roster with 11/12 players. Since we only have 9, and since kids get hurt, I see a completely obvious disadvantage provided to us by the staff. Feel free to disagree, and I'd like to know.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 09:29:01 AM by Poison »

« Reply #139 on: September 13, 2017, 09:31:04 AM »
MSG will be shut down for 10 days to set up for the grammy's.. 
The other problem is St. John's gives away a lot of free tickets to groups so the attendance numbers at MSG are inflated.  The 10,000 number is actually tickets sold.   We had 16.000 for first responders night vs Marquette last year.  However 10,000 were given away and the school took a loss.  The only game St. John's made money at last year was Nova and Georgetown.  They took a loss at the rest of the games.  With the slice thing going on they are looking at making prudent financial decisions.

As fans we can complain but two things will change this.  Winning and more fans buying tickets.  If fans are not going to show up then we will continue to play more CA games.