Marcus Lovett leaves St. John's

• 44 replies
Re: Marcus Lovett leaves St. John's
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2018, 12:01:57 PM »
This was from Duke game...

https://mobile.twitter.com/WeWinWest/status/960598664568758273

Posted during but not from the game. They wore the white hooded warmups vs Duke.

Yeah, I was at the game and he def wasn't on the bench.

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2018, 01:18:14 PM »
The one blessing in the "Lovett Affair" is the timing of his departure.  He did it early enough for the staff to recruit a decent player with a newly open scholarship and the related potential playing time.  Had he did this after the late signing period, we would be looking at left overs.  Since he was probably going to leave, at least he gave us time to find someone for next year.

couldn't agree more. This opens up a lot of minutes.

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2018, 09:32:32 AM »
Lovett thing was one of the strangest situations I can recall around here. And that is saying something.

pmg911

« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2018, 10:56:32 AM »
He wasn’t a straight shooter in this case. He told us in January that he expected LoVett to play. The kid isn’t enrolled in class. He can’t play. You think that’s a straight shooter? Mullin speaks simply and directly. That doesn’t make him or anyone a straight shooter. They pushed Lavin out because he didn’t have control over his program. Is there a subtle difference now?

I am not sure when he made these comments in January you are referencing. If they were made in early to mid January, he was not spinning anything or not being straight. The students were not in classes for most of the month due to Winter break and I am not exactly sure when the Spring semester started.

That said, I have a tough time believing that the St. John's academic advisers didn't have the kid lined up for his Spring courses. If he was signed up for classes and was just not attending (as I heard was the case and said 2 weeks ago), there is not much the school can say or do. He would not become ineligible for weeks and probably could have played until the season was over with no consequences for not attending classes.

People can spin this anyway they want, the kid quit on his teammates and the program. Certainly his choice to walk and do what he wants but if he doesn't want to be here - hit the bricks..!!

Unless he has citizenship access to another country, he is going to have a tough time making real money playing professional basketball.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 10:58:24 AM by pmg911 »

redslope

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2018, 11:39:57 AM »
He wasn’t a straight shooter in this case. He told us in January that he expected LoVett to play. The kid isn’t enrolled in class. He can’t play. You think that’s a straight shooter? Mullin speaks simply and directly. That doesn’t make him or anyone a straight shooter. They pushed Lavin out because he didn’t have control over his program. Is there a subtle difference now?

I am not sure when he made these comments in January you are referencing. If they were made in early to mid January, he was not spinning anything or not being straight. The students were not in classes for most of the month due to Winter break and I am not exactly sure when the Spring semester started.

That said, I have a tough time believing that the St. John's academic advisers didn't have the kid lined up for his Spring courses. If he was signed up for classes and was just not attending (as I heard was the case and said 2 weeks ago), there is not much the school can say or do. He would not become ineligible for weeks and probably could have played until the season was over with no consequences for not attending classes.

People can spin this anyway they want, the kid quit on his teammates and the program. Certainly his choice to walk and do what he wants but if he doesn't want to be here - hit the bricks..!!

Unless he has citizenship access to another country, he is going to have a tough time making real money playing professional basketball.

As to your quote on "probably" continue to play to the end of the season, you are spot on.  An example is Andrew Gaze at Seton Hall who played through the NCAA final and then went back to Australia for their professional league.