J'Raan Brooks - 6'8" - PF - Seattle, WA (Garfield High)

• 305 replies
Re: J'Raan Brooks - 6'8" - PF - Seattle, WA (Garfield High) - ST. JOHN’S
« Reply #180 on: February 02, 2018, 05:47:27 PM »
As much as I disagree with Baldi he makes sense here. If Matt is getting canned ( which he should BTW) then I wouldn’t blame Brooks for leaving at all. It was because of Matt relationship with his cousin that we even got in with him. He’s a four star rated in the 80’s and as much as I attack Mullin he has three other four star players coming in ( Boubacar, Greg Williams and Sedee Keita). With Mike Rice, you have a way better chance of re-entering the NYC and NJ talent market.. this is what Mullin promised he would do ( Shamorie is the key to this).

Now about Clarke leaving..........Okay.... we’ll move on. I’ve been told from trainers on the team that Keita looks great during practice and he’s just physically more imposing. Add the fact he does the same exact thing as Clarke, it’s not a monumental loss.

With Dixon, Williams, Ponds and Simon, the three guard system that had us playing well earlier in the season is still intact.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 05:48:31 PM by Foryoureyesonly88 »

goredmen

« Reply #181 on: February 02, 2018, 05:51:39 PM »

Now about Clarke leaving..........Okay.... we’ll move on. I’ve been told from trainers on the team that Keita looks great during practice and he’s just physically more imposing. Add the fact he does the same exact thing as Clarke, it’s not a monumental loss.

Keita and Clark are about as close as you can get to being the exact opposite of one another as far as what they do on the court

« Reply #182 on: February 02, 2018, 05:52:52 PM »

Keita and Clark are about as close as you can get to being the exact opposite of one another as far as what they do on the court

Thank God for that

« Reply #183 on: February 02, 2018, 05:53:28 PM »
So we aren't even going to get a guy that has already committed to us yet we think we have a chance with guys like  Precious Achiuwa, Igiehon, and Cockburn?

Matt relies on transfers and out of state kids for his recruiting. I suspect all local recruits are being personally handled by Mullin and Richmond. Mike rice adds Jersey massive amount of talent to the table.

You guys wanted Tri-State area talent on the team. Well, it seems Mullin is going all in with that.

« Reply #184 on: February 02, 2018, 05:56:05 PM »

Not true at all. Keita has been working on his ability to stretch the floor all year and is showing great progress. Clarke wants to run and shoot, keita does the same exact thing. Clarke is a way better shooter, but Keita bangs down low more.

« Reply #185 on: February 02, 2018, 06:00:02 PM »
SJU  has a 12 game losing streak in the regular season(dated to last year).  SJU has an inept staff who can not develop players and coach.  To say "its ok" for any player to leave is absurd because no one is coming in that is better at this point.  SJU has lost 7 kids in the last 2 years, a big reason why they are in this mess.  If Matty A goes, then the whole staff can go.  Unless there is something terrible that is truly dividing Matt from Mullin, he should not go and you keep Brooks.  SJU needs quality players, plain and simple. 

Marillac

« Reply #186 on: February 02, 2018, 06:14:41 PM »
We need Brooks. Clark leaving makes little sense. Where else is he going to be allowed to play on the perimeter so much and get all those minutes? Owens seems more likely. I'd make both Owens and Clark captains with Yakwe.

A coach leaving now after an o for the season would be career suicide when the team comes back and wins 7-12 conference games next year. We need Matt.

I think we can absorb 3 defections so long as one of them isn't Ponds and we can add a high school 3* PG and a 5th year transfer.
Absorb 3 defections from this team and still win between 22- 25 games?
A 3 star PG is a good idea- how many are good as freshman?
Matt - on one hand him being here is absurd, he has nothing to do with basketball. On the other hand, he is the only one called coach some what capable at something
Someone suggested earlier today an extention- cant make this shit up

Most guards are ready to play 15 mpg day one. Look at a kid like Rakym Felder at South Carolina last year who was barely a 3* from Brooklyn or Alvarado from Christ the King or a Malik Boothe or Geno Lawrence type (in the appropriate role). That's what we need.

« Reply #187 on: February 02, 2018, 06:15:29 PM »
Anything is possible but there seems to be some broke clock predictions in this thread. Only thing with some merit is that Owens does graduate and I do know of some coaches looking to pouch him but I don't think he's bouncing.

I really don't have a pulse on Brooks.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #188 on: February 02, 2018, 06:16:57 PM »
So we aren't even going to get a guy that has already committed to us yet we think we have a chance with guys like  Precious Achiuwa, Igiehon, and Cockburn?

Matt relies on transfers and out of state kids for his recruiting. I suspect all local recruits are being personally handled by Mullin and Richmond.
lol

TONYD3

« Reply #189 on: February 02, 2018, 06:25:49 PM »
We need Brooks. Clark leaving makes little sense. Where else is he going to be allowed to play on the perimeter so much and get all those minutes? Owens seems more likely. I'd make both Owens and Clark captains with Yakwe.

A coach leaving now after an o for the season would be career suicide when the team comes back and wins 7-12 conference games next year. We need Matt.

I think we can absorb 3 defections so long as one of them isn't Ponds and we can add a high school 3* PG and a 5th year transfer.
Absorb 3 defections from this team and still win between 22- 25 games?
A 3 star PG is a good idea- how many are good as freshman?
Matt - on one hand him being here is absurd, he has nothing to do with basketball. On the other hand, he is the only one called coach some what capable at something
Someone suggested earlier today an extention- cant make this shit up

Most guards are ready to play 15 mpg day one. Look at a kid like Rakym Felder at South Carolina last year who was barely a 3* from Brooklyn or Alvarado from Christ the King or a Malik Boothe or Geno Lawrence type (in the appropriate role). That's what we need.

We should have the kid from Christ the king. He would have been good. Don’t know the other guy. We could use either boothe or geno type because we have nothing. Not because they are so useful. I agree with some of what you say, after I understand better.
But you can’t lose players every year. No one graduates. They just leave. I don’t know how you could have any faith in this mess of a coaching staff. If we lose this kid and either ponds or Owens. 10th place again

Marillac

« Reply #190 on: February 02, 2018, 06:25:49 PM »
Matt has some annoying qualities and a lot of us don't like what transpired with him and Slice, but getting rid of him makes no sense. We will need his creative recruiting more than ever the next two years. If any coach wants to make it at St. John's, they have to be able to complete a roster. The transfer game is essential for us and Matt has great potential in that area.

Jesus Christ, guys, can we let one staff fill out a roster before we cannabilize our program?

TONYD3

« Reply #191 on: February 02, 2018, 06:28:32 PM »
Matt has some annoying qualities and a lot of us don't like what transpired with him and Slice, but getting rid of him makes no sense. We will need his creative recruiting more than ever the next two years. If any coach wants to make it at St. John's, they have to be able to complete a roster. The transfer game is essential for us and Matt has great potential in that area.

Jesus Christ, guys, can we let one staff fill out a roster before we cannabilize our program?
If you have 8 players. 1 quits. You recuit a few more. Atleast one never comes. Then a few more decide to leave. You might never have a full roster.

Marillac

« Reply #192 on: February 02, 2018, 06:33:06 PM »

If you have 8 players. 1 quits. You recuit a few more. Atleast one never comes. Then a few more decide to leave. You might never have a full roster.

I don't mean using all 13 ships by full roster. 11-12 good scholarship players and a few solid prederred walkons meets that criteria for me. Certainly more than 7 with one being a waste like AA.

goredmen

« Reply #193 on: February 02, 2018, 06:39:33 PM »

Not true at all. Keita has been working on his ability to stretch the floor all year and is showing great progress. Clarke wants to run and shoot, keita does the same exact thing. Clarke is a way better shooter, but Keita bangs down low more.

If Keita touches the ball anywhere outside of the paint it is a bad thing for us and a good thing for the defense. If Clark touches the ball in the paint it is a bad thing for us and a good thing for the defense

TONYD3

« Reply #194 on: February 02, 2018, 06:41:58 PM »

I don't mean using all 13 ships by full roster. 11-12 good scholarship players and a few solid prederred walkons meets that criteria for me. Certainly more than 7 with one being a waste like AA.
My point,  you can’t recuit to this mess. 3 years ago it was Chris Mullin hall of famer.  Do you think ponds would come here again if he could take a mulligan? Do you think the next ponds wants play for this coach? Would you?
The only player that stayed was Amar, besides never getting better he tried to leave also.

« Reply #195 on: February 02, 2018, 08:38:07 PM »
If Paultz is being honest.. which I don't know why he wouldn't be.. and 1 of the 3 were going to happen then Brooks leaving because of Matty A leaving makes no sense because that'd be two. Realistically Brooks decommiting is the only answer that makes sense. Matt just got paid last year, and leaving now would hurt his credibility elsewhere. Brooks has already decommited from one school, were in the middle of a full scale self-destruct this season, and we are literally on the other side of the country; not a good look. And in regards to the situation with Rice, this rumor has been floating around for a while now and we clearly need another coach so it just fits and makes sense. (Note the sudden interest in NJ players as well including Marcellus Earlington who Paultz told us today the staff was looking at.

As it stands the answer to the Paultz-gorithm is:
Brooks is gone (for the time being, recruiting changes daily)
Matt is staying and buying a few new suits for the new season
Mike Rice is coming on board

ras

« Reply #196 on: February 02, 2018, 09:36:05 PM »
If Paultz is being honest.. which I don't know why he wouldn't be.. and 1 of the 3 were going to happen then Brooks leaving because of Matty A leaving makes no sense because that'd be two. Realistically Brooks decommiting is the only answer that makes sense. Matt just got paid last year, and leaving now would hurt his credibility elsewhere. Brooks has already decommited from one school, were in the middle of a full scale self-destruct this season, and we are literally on the other side of the country; not a good look. And in regards to the situation with Rice, this rumor has been floating around for a while now and we clearly need another coach so it just fits and makes sense. (Note the sudden interest in NJ players as well including Marcellus Earlington who Paultz told us today the staff was looking at.

Makes sense from what Paultz wrote. I would tale it. W Matt and Rice you would have 2 recruiters, which is what we need , plus the experience of Rice.

Foad

« Reply #197 on: February 02, 2018, 09:37:20 PM »
If Paultz is being honest.. which I don't know why he wouldn't be.. and 1 of the 3 were going to happen then Brooks leaving because of Matty A leaving makes no sense because that'd be two. Realistically Brooks decommiting is the only answer that makes sense.

[...]

No. You contradict yourself.

The magic 8-baldi said: Brooks is out, as is Matt A. Mike Rice in

P-man said : 1/3 there Baldi it seems.

So if P-man is correct in saying that the magic eight-baldi is one third right (which is higher than his usual percentage) one of these three things is happening

Brooks gone
Matt gone
Rice in

Your answer, Brooks is gone, Mike Rice is coming, is two things.

I don't know what the answer is but P-man has said within recent memory both that Brooks is not gone and that Rice is not coming. That leaves one answer. Make of it what you will.

« Reply #198 on: February 02, 2018, 09:47:07 PM »
If Matt is getting canned ( which he should BTW) then I wouldn’t blame Brooks for leaving at all. It was because of Matt relationship with his cousin that we even got in with him. He’s a four star rated in the 80’s and as much as I attack Mullin he has three other four star players coming in ( Boubacar, Greg Williams and Sedee Keita).

With all that said, explain to me why matt should be canned?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #199 on: February 02, 2018, 09:54:22 PM »
If Matt is getting canned ( which he should BTW) then I wouldn’t blame Brooks for leaving at all. It was because of Matt relationship with his cousin that we even got in with him. He’s a four star rated in the 80’s and as much as I attack Mullin he has three other four star players coming in ( Boubacar, Greg Williams and Sedee Keita).

With all that said, explain to me why matt should be canned?
If Paultz is being honest.. which I don't know why he wouldn't be.. and 1 of the 3 were going to happen then Brooks leaving because of Matty A leaving makes no sense because that'd be two. Realistically Brooks decommiting is the only answer that makes sense.

[...]

No. You contradict yourself.

The magic 8-baldi said: Brooks is out, as is Matt A. Mike Rice in

P-man said : 1/3 there Baldi it seems.

So if P-man is correct in saying that the magic eight-baldi is one third right (which is higher than his usual percentage) one of these three things is happening

Brooks gone
Matt gone
Rice in

Your answer, Brooks is gone, Mike Rice is coming, is two things.

I don't know what the answer is but P-man has said within recent memory both that Brooks is not gone and that Rice is not coming. That leaves one answer. Make of it what you will.

In response to someone posting Brooks Is gone because Matt is gone Paultz said not true which sounds like Matt not gone either so we're back to square one. That's quite a riddle Baldi has everyone trying to solve. LOL.